Sterling | Page 4 | Vital Football

Sterling

Sam Allardyce anyone?

There were people who wanted him kept on after he'd been caught coaching how to cheat on his employers. Amazing.

What a breath of clean air Southgate is. Agree with Nobby above - whatever the result tonight.

Sam Allardyce anyone?

There were people who wanted him kept on after he'd been caught coaching how to cheat on his employers. Amazing.

What a breath of clean air Southgate is. Agree with Nobby above - whatever the result tonight.

Ironic that the main things i think Sam Allardyce would have brought to the team would be getting the team to play well as a defensive unit. Getting them to play more freely without worry. And getting them good on set pieces.

All things that Southgate has done and which are the key features of this team.

Glad in hindsight that Allardyce got the heave ho and was replaced with the legend that is Southgate. Who knows wjat big Sam wpuld have been able to achieve, but let's not pretend many, if any, of us were happy with Southgate when first appointed. A lot of humble pie all round, me included.

Trouble is, Sam wanted to build his team around Rooney. Without starting that whole row all over again, I would suggest that one of the things that puts Southgate above him is his courage with team and squad selection being built around youth.
Agree with your second point though, I was one of those who was less than inspired by Southgate's appointment, mainly because I had concerns that he would be the new FA yes man and would stick with the old guard.