Sterling | Page 3 | Vital Football

Sterling

OK - my comment in the OP was borne of frustration and a tad OTT. I just wish he had a final product when he does get though. I will also be happy if he roves me wrong in the next two matches.

OK - my comment in the OP was borne of frustration and a tad OTT. I just wish he had a final product when he does get though. I will also be happy if he roves me wrong in the next two matches.
We all wish he could finish better. But the difference is that we dont start yelling at him to fuck off or get personal.

For me the discussion is not whether you're right in whether you say he's shit or not. Its the fact that we should even be supporting the shit players not giving them abuse. It's the fact youre so abusive in your claims he is and completely disrespect a player thats giving his all, as many other fans have been on social media, that's quite depressing.

He's and England player and deserves our support. It's not like he's trying to miss. Southgate seems intent on playing him so lets support him to be the best he can be. It's not his fault Southgate rates him. Maybe you could support him even to be better than you think he is. Rather than slate him, if people on social media supported him and lauded him he might actually build some confidence from it and do well in the next game and surpass your expectations.

Last edited:
I read an interesting statistical breakdown of England's performance in one of those posh big papers today. Claimed to prove that in terms of pulling defenders away, creating space and pass accuracy etc, he was actually our best performing player against Sweden.
Too many players of his ilk are judged by goals alone but he doesn't seem to let his lack of them stop him from putting a shift in. As mentioned before, get one and they'll keep coming.
Just one on Sunday will do me ?

We all wish he could finish better. But the difference is that we dont start yelling at him to fuck off or get personal.

For me the discussion is not whether you're right in whether you say he's shit or not. Its the fact that we should even be supporting the shit players not giving them abuse. It's the fact youre so abusive in your claims he is and completely disrespect a player thats giving his all, as many other fans have been on social media, that's quite depressing.

He's and England player and deserves our support. It's not like he's trying to miss. Southgate seems intent on playing him so lets support him to be the best he can be. It's not his fault Southgate rates him. Maybe you could support him even to be better than you think he is. Rather than slate him, if people on social media supported him and lauded him he might actually build some confidence from it and do well in the next game and surpass your expectations.

Chap withdraws and you jump all over him. That's why we live in a world where no one in their right mind gives an inch anymore.

Chap withdraws and you jump all over him. That's why we live in a world where no one in their right mind gives an inch anymore.

It's got eff all to do with why social media is full of idiots unable to accept when they are wrong.

Sorry but if you thought that was 'jumping all over him' you're way off the mark. You must be one of those over sensitive millenials, or I bet you've raised one.

Good that he accepted his error though. Maybe detritus will think twice about posting abuse at England players in the future. Id guess that if he did that about England he probably does the same at gills too. I generally cant stand people who spend most or their time in the stands personally abusing our own team when its clear they are trying their best. Telling them to fuck off just because they missed a chance or put a pass wide is disgraceful and the main issue with modern football imo. Gone are the days when we would just blindly support the crap players in full acceptance they are crap and the best we have but they are trying heir best.

I make no apologies for calling someone out and driving the point home because, as i say, it is probably one of my biggest bug bares in modern football.

If he was actually at the game and shouting abuse at Sterling, I'd agree with you. If he was on an England message board, or even a message board of a national newspaper, I'd agree you probably still have a point.

He wasn't though, he was letting off steam on a Gills message board. Now I could be wrong on this, but I'd say it's pretty unlikely Sterling's going to pick up on the fact that a Gills fan has slagged him off on here and get demoralised as a result.

Personally I found him extremely frustrating the other day (Sterling, not Detritus). I agree he does a lot of excellent work and gets into some great positions, but his end product is so often found wanting. We know he's capable of better too, he's shown it plenty of times at Man City, which makes it even more frustrating.

Agree with Bromley. Det spouted off in frustration and apologised. Give him a break. I'm sure most of us have done similar things (I admit I have) and realised they've gone OTT afterwards.

Some media are now lauding him as a hero. I'd say terrible in front of goal bit useful in other aspects of the game.

I was personally delighted at his failure to score given my bet on 2 0
:-)

AK, just as Detritus went a bit OTT in his initial post- I'm guessing in frustration- you've gone OTT in harbouring the point.

As others have said, on a Gills forum is hardly putting it out there. Sterling is hardly playing with confidence (or if he is we really are in the shit with his finishing and final ball) but I'd doubt he'd be bothered if he was told about it. I'd hazard a guess he's taken far worse than "fuck off, you're shit"

And if Detritus is who I think he is, you're being very presumptuous (and wrong) assuming he'd say that same at a Gills game.

Thanks everyone, I almost feel loved :wub:

For the record AK, I have had numerous rows in the past with people abusing Gills players at the match. I've even been physically attacked for having a go at one of our fans for abusing the opposition keeper for daring to have a good game. I have also defended our players on this and previous boards. I will admit to swearing at one of our players but that was Tom Williams and it was for cheating so I don't count that. The only opposition player I have sworn at was Jason Price for goading a ballboy after scoring. Otherwise I haven't verbally abused any player, haven't made obscene gestures at any other player and, unlike someone on this board, I have never spat at anyone.

Good to hear you’ve never done it aloud Detritus. It seems it was just a small lapse of judgement then and you’ve admitted it was OTT so no issue there. I only harboured the point because I feel very strongly about it and was not intending to get at you further, I just wanted to explain further why it annoyed me so much and what I think of it (shock horror I try to explain myself/discuss something in detail on a message board). Although I do admit I probably did assume (obviously wrongly) that you might be ‘one of those’ fans who thinks its okay to regularly blame frustration for abusing their own players. And as I’ve made clear, I absolutely hate that kind of fan who sees football as a chance to let out their life’s frustrations. There does unfortunately seem to be too many of them. Thank god you’re not one.

One thing though just to be clear while I absolutely abhor abuse of our own players…the opposition players…absolutely fair game. I happily abuse the opposition during the game. Even if they’ve not done anything wrong. Of course I’ll applaud them afterwards, but during the game I’ll do anything I can to get in their heads and ruin their game if possible. I see that as very very different to the treatment some give to their own players.

p.s. detritus, are you referring to the poster previously known as Tubeway, or someone else here?

Yes, Sterling has been as much frustrating because of his lack of goals as he has brilliant at upsetting and drawing defenders. Now there's a defender who is often a weak link for Liverpool and could be for Croatia if Sterling goes for the jugular. How many times has Dejan Lovren let his team mates down? Quite a lot, so let's hope that pressure from Sterling and others will do the business.

If I recall, didn't Sir Alf say that he picked the best TEAM, not the best PLAYERS.
I'll probably get laughed at on here just is I did it work but there are similarities between Southgate and Ramsay. Both are very intellectual, clever and calm men. They hold old fashion values and promote a team ethic without pandering to superstars. Probably the only other English manager to have most of these attributes was Sir Bobby Robson.
No coincidence then that the other thing they have in common is that they have all taken England to a world cup semi final.
Even if we go out tomorrow, we've got a manager with a good infrastructure in place and a promising group of young players (including Sterling) that can only get better.
The future looks good.