Staying Up Thread 2019/20 | Page 77 | Vital Football

Staying Up Thread 2019/20

Our biggest game of the season is Tuesday night. If Watford win then we are almost gone. If Watford lose then we have a chance although we will still need Newcastle and West Ham to help us out.

They would be 4 points ahead of us like West Ham.

We need to beat Palace, Everton, Arsenal and West Ham.

lol.

I think it will be a wake up call. They will realise that there is no point spunking money into this and start looking for buyers. They don't seem very interested. I don't really know what this club is trying to achieve anymore.

well the one thing the club wanted to achieve was buy players cheaply and sell at a profit. Would all clubs not want the same? So doesn't exactly scream new directioin OR ambition does it?

well the one thing the club wanted to achieve was buy players cheaply and sell at a profit. Would all clubs not want the same? So doesn't exactly scream new directioin OR ambition does it?

Don't think that's it. It's more buy players who's value increases. Sensible, but something we've been poor at in the past.

to be fair mate, not that many for me, I've been miserable all season! But fact does remain, if we have any chance....... and so on.

But then, as you are rightly saying, there were others, namely the Sheff Utd and the Newcastle games that would have helped ease the fears.

I don't see anything v Man Utd, which doesn't take a genius really. Palace, I doubt because I think we've been tame since our return, results agree with me even though some members here don't... then Everton, never know with them, but they are better than us generally. Arsenal don't set the world alight but we rarely trouble them and I'm going for a cup of tea now!!!!!!!!!!!!
1994 league cup final - It can be done - we can beat Man U as underdogs - for me winning this could be a real game changer (slim chance I know) Such a shame it won’t be a full house even if the football we are being served up ain’t great.

United are playing free flowing football, attacking with intensity and pace, we could end up getting smashed for 5 or 6.

Remaining games:

West Ham: Burnley H, Norwich A, Watford H, Man United A, Villa H

Watford: Norwich H, Newcastle H, West Ham A, Man City H, Arsenal A

Villa: Man United H, Palace H, Everton A, Arsenal H, West Ham A

Bournemouth: Spurs H, Leicester H, Man City A, Southampton H, Everton A

Norwich: Watford A, West Ham H, Chelsea A, Burnley H, Man City A

West Ham look safe to me, that win v Chelsea was massive and they look like they have the most favourable run-in.

I think Norwich have gone and looking at Bournemouth's last five, they are toast as well.

So it's surely between us and Watford? Too close to call - I can see them tripping up against Norwich, but they might get something from Newcastle and West Ham.

We'll get sod all against Man U (as per normal) but we might fluke a win against Palace. We won't beat Everton and the Arsenal game could go either way - we have a poor record against them. So it will probably come down to West Ham on the final day...

Remaining games:

West Ham look safe to me, that win v Chelsea was massive and they look like they have the most favourable run-in.

I think Norwich have gone and looking at Bournemouth's last five, they are toast as well.

So it's surely between us and Watford? Too close to call - I can see them tripping up against Norwich, but they might get something from Newcastle and West Ham.

We'll get sod all against Man U (as per normal) but we might fluke a win against Palace. We won't beat Everton and the Arsenal game could go either way - we have a poor record against them. So it will probably come down to West Ham on the final day...

Pretty close. Agree, West Ham are escaping, and are playing better with it. could be good for us. If they beat Watford, and are safe when it comes to the final match, could work in our favour.

We need a win! From somewhere. Soon.

Remaining games:

Well, we are looking so good now apparently, maybe we'll get some points for style as well?

We could do Palace, Everton aren't impossible but agree with you, difficult, Arsenal said the same, they aren't unbeatable but we are awful v them. Will West Ham be safe and have switched off like Liverpool have, for the last game?

:shrug:

Don't think that's it. It's more buy players who's value increases. Sensible, but something we've been poor at in the past.

Semantics aside, we should have been looking at experience to keep us up, and built from there. We looked for players with a sell on, with no experience, and their lack of experience has been exposed, now try selling them at a profit.

Fulham were a perfect example of what not to do, and we did it.

Semantics aside, we should have been looking at experience to keep us up, and built from there. We looked for players with a sell on, with no experience, and their lack of experience has been exposed, now try selling them at a profit.

Yes we did exactly the same last time we were relegated. Half of them we won’t recoup the initial fee because they’ve looked poor and if we get relegated will be forced to get rid, not to mention the cost of relegation far exceeds the potential transfer profit in any case.

I look at the fixtures and TBH I think our fate is sealed. Our only real competition to get out of the relegation zone are Watford, and they have three very winnable games next, and if they win any one of them then it is curtains for us.

Yes agree the recruitment has yet again been awful. How much money have we wasted over the last 10 years on terrible purchases?
I will say we have not done a Fulham, as we only had 11 players in contract at the end of last season so there was always going to be a large turnover in the squad whatever division we were in, but it is clear those players have been found wanting and the lack of experience, and quality brought in is frightening. Warning bells were going off in my head when we signed Jota. What an awful purchase, could barely get a game in a lower quality Championship side, but he was going to set the Premiership on fire?

Remaining games:

Thats a very hopeful picture you paint there JPA.
I have maintained right from the off in our predictions for the new season, and until the Sheffield Utd game we would finish 17th.
Sadly I can no longer see that happening.
Watford have Deeney, who like him or not has always got a goal in him, and they have winnable fixtures against teams around them.
I expect them to beat Norwich, us to lose, just for a change against United, and then there will be a four point gap.
Our confidence is fragile at best and that would kill it.
Gone once again with a whimper.

Yes agree the recruitment has yet again been awful. How much money have we wasted over the last 10 years on terrible purchases?
I will say we have not done a Fulham, as we only had 11 players in contract at the end of last season so there was always going to be a large turnover in the squad whatever division we were in, but it is clear those players have been found wanting and the lack of experience, and quality brought in is frightening. Warning bells were going off in my head when we signed Jota. What an awful purchase, could barely get a game in a lower quality Championship side, but he was going to set the Premiership on fire?

Eye watering amount wasted over the decade isn't it?

I mean done a Fulham as in buying inexperience