Stacey West Expansion | Page 18 | Vital Football

Stacey West Expansion

It looks like the upper tier is to be replaced with extra 'offices' in a second phase of building. Couldn't the first phase be extended/enlarged to include any required extra office development at ground level with a later option to build the upper tier. I understand that economic circumstances have changed and rethink is necessary but the original launch of the Bond talked about the improvements in the club and a vision for the future, to quote from the document '..... we haven’t come this far just to come this far' . The proposed changes appear to give us two ends of the ground with no scope for development.

Why would it be botched and a mess? What on earth has been said that means you arrive at this conclusion?

Those 3 stands, aesthetically, are a bit of a mess.

Apologies if that wasn’t clear.

Although I assume the bus stop will be gone when the SW is complete?

I suppose the alternative is to have a soul less shed like structure like Scunny and to be heading south for the Winter to the Conference or whatever its called these days. Think I know what I like best !!

I see what you’re saying, but there’s nothing concrete to suggest the alternative for us would be soulless.

Well, the St Andrews stand is the oldest stand, so if and when that gets redeveloped there is obvious scope for increased capacity.

Anyway, a pity but understandable.

Whilst disappointing that the extra tier isn’t going ahead, sensible decisions have clearly been made. Expensive stands have caused financial disaster for many clubs in the past and the current climate will clearly over stretch us to go with the original plan Having now seen the plans, it actually looks quite good. The most important thing is that there will be decent facilities for the foundation, decent facilities for the fans whether home or away, and despite what some have said, a good corporate area which will generate much needed income and not only on match days.
I put into the vital/Stacey West bond and am more than happy for my cash to go towards this.

Whilst disappointing that the extra tier isn’t going ahead, sensible decisions have clearly been made. Expensive stands have caused financial disaster for many clubs in the past and the current climate will clearly over stretch us to go with the original plan Having now seen the plans, it actually looks quite good. The most important thing is that there will be decent facilities for the foundation, decent facilities for the fans whether home or away, and despite what some have said, a good corporate area which will generate much needed income and not only on match days.
I put into the vital/Stacey West bond and am more than happy for my cash to go towards this.

I'll give it around 12 weeks into a new season before some fans would be moaning about "not investing in the team on the pitch, and the club preferring to put a stand we don't need in place" if we begin to struggle again...

I trust Clive and the board. I am sure the plans have been examined with the long-term good and security of our club in mind. There are too many examples of careless plans by boards at numerous clubs. I'm grateful Clive and his team are overseeing this and our club's future. I'm also grateful to Liam for keeping us informed on the club site and this forum.

I genuinely can't believe what I have read from some people (well, I can from some, that can't wait to have a go), mainly on Facebook and Twitter.

Questioning the ambition of Championship football just because they had no choice but to make the project smaller than originally planned, which wasn't the Football Club's fault. They can't be blamed for the cost of materials going crazy.

To the best of my knowledge, the extra seats were always a bonus, and the main focus and real point of the project were to provide a proper home for the Lincoln City Foundation, which this will do. The community side was always the priority, not the extra seating.

What it will also provide is further commercial income, which will result in money going into the playing budget.

Maybe those making the stupid comments should go and see the improved facilities and just what they mean for the Lincoln City Foundation and the local community once completed?

There are other options that could be explored. Granted not the SW but still options

Seems we don’t need to increase capacity at the mo & the payback on doing so at the SW end of the ground doesn’t exist based on the latest costs. Quite a reality check.

Aesthetically it might look very good from behind the stand but the low rake remains on the old converted terrace with cramped seats unless replaced by safe standing. Extra pylons in the way and an even taller brick wall than opposite :-(

If that’s just for away fans, I guess the higher roof may even dampen their atmosphere (trying to look for a bright side). Wigan brought a noisy 1300 but just 1300. Can you imagine how many Imps would travel if we were top of the League!

When we came back in to the League I feared we might end up a mid table League 2 side with attendances of 5 or 6k

Priority must remain the team, League 1 status, crowds approaching 10k. but it’s a pity we cant stretch it to 12k for now and only dream of sorting out the St Andrews.

I’m glad that the club has salvaged some of the scheme and feel for those (Liam and Clive) who have had to cut back on the project’s ambition.

I’ll continue to dream of League titles and winning at Wembley…..whoops, did that really happen?!

Last edited:
A little disappointed by this, but it would be crazy to live beyond our means. I was hoping we would build the office space for the foundation and concourse etc behind the stand, and that would then increase revenue and allow us to build the second tier in years ahead. Also a little disappointed to see the new pictures of the stand with the additional supports, I'm no architect but as the overhanging roof is about the same size as it now, why the two extra supports? Hopefully that can be rectified when the new planning goes in.

A little disappointed by this, but it would be crazy to live beyond our means. I was hoping we would build the office space for the foundation and concourse etc behind the stand, and that would then increase revenue and allow us to build the second tier in years ahead. Also a little disappointed to see the new pictures of the stand with the additional supports, I'm no architect but as the overhanging roof is about the same size as it now, why the two extra supports? Hopefully that can be rectified when the new planning goes in.

Like many, I an also disappointed, though I fully understand the financial reality behind the change.
It is a real shame as the original plans were very good. The revision is somewhat underwhelming. While the building will satisfy the requirements for community based activity it will do virtually nothing to improve the aethestic of the ground or future potential growth at that end. It may create some new income streams but I'm not sure that is guaranteed.
We are the victim of unfortunate timing (again). It does feel a bit like history repeating itself when we built a limited stand on the St.Andrews side, the legacy of which we still living with now. We have constantly been told it is not economically viable to make additions to it. So we are stuck with it 40 years later.
One serious question I have is what the precise benefit is of making this development an integral part of an existing stand. It made sense in the original plans but the limitations it creates going forward are pretty final. Space is limited of course.
It's Hobson's choice. We couldn't pass up the grant monies yet we couldn't afford the originally planned development. It is a shame but it is in keeping with the history of the piecemeal 'development' of Sincil Bank down the years.