Squatters | Page 2 | Vital Football

Squatters

I'm very pleased for the Stones.
I've never understood the dislike for them amongst Gills fans. When they became homeless in the early nineties it was surely a no brainer to offer to ground share, everybody is a winner, swallowing a bit of pride isn't that difficult. That is not hindsight I always believed that. The more league clubs in Kent the better for all of us.

?????

Do you understand the rivalry between Man U and Man City or Liverpool and Everton? It's the same, and I can't understand a Gills fan not feeling that.
I grew up when the rivalry between clubs was friendly, when you could stand with opposing fans and swap views on the game. I learnt a lot about people from the north and west standing in the town end. Also meeting away fans when when going to away matches. As well as going to Anfield in the 60's with Everton supporters when I was in RN. It was only when the thugs turned up in the late 70' and early 80's it all changed.

I'm very pleased for the Stones.
I've never understood the dislike for them amongst Gills fans. When they became homeless in the early nineties it was surely a no brainer to offer to ground share, everybody is a winner, swallowing a bit of pride isn't that difficult. That is not hindsight I always believed that. The more league clubs in Kent the better for all of us.

Been to quite a few Stones games with mates who are fans. Lots of banter but hard to begrudge them bringing back serious football to the town I grew up in. The last time the two sides met in league competition was well before I was born so I don't feel the rivalry strongly. Their dislike for us I think is understandably stronger but between my Gills mates and Stones mates the overriding feeling is that more representation of Kent football is a net positive

?????

Do you understand the rivalry between Man U and Man City or Liverpool and Everton? It's the same, and I can't understand a Gills fan not feeling that.
Massive differences there. The two rivalries you mention are both inter-city and regular season games - Gills haven't played Maidstone in a meaningful match in more than 30 years. Growing up in Maidstone they didn't play there, and I never knew a Stones fan at school or work until they came 'home' to the Gallagher. Hard to forge a rivalry under those circumstances.

Massive differences there. The two rivalries you mention are both inter-city and regular season games - Gills haven't played Maidstone in a meaningful match in more than 30 years. Growing up in Maidstone they didn't play there, and I never knew a Stones fan at school or work until they came 'home' to the Gallagher. Hard to forge a rivalry under those circumstances.

By lower league standards there aren't many rivalries that match Gillingham vs Maidstone and it's the only league derby that fans in Kent will have witnessed.

Maidstone played in Maidstone when the FA Cup games took place v The Gills in 1980 and anyone from that era will know just how bitter the rivalry was and for them (and me) it still is.

Sadly they seem to have had the better of us in games over the years and it's only our relative positions in the league pyramid that has made this bearable for those of us that know Maidstone fans personally.

As I said before, I was surprisingly pleased at todays result for them, but I know many that will dine out on it for years to come and that won't be any fun for me.

Last edited:
Every Stones fan I know, bar two die hards, couldn't have told you a thing about them till they moved back to town

?????

Two sorts of supporters
1. Gills first, Kent second, England third, Britain fourth regarding which team to support in a game.

2. Anyone but our nearest neighbours.

Maybe a an age and class difference in which you are.