Squatters | Page 3 | Vital Football

Squatters

I'm old enough to remember the intensity of the first Kent derby, when they beat us at Priestfield - Alan Walker knocking himself out on the post and all that - so to me they're still a rival.

On the other hand they're now closer in level to Chatham Town than us, and don't look as though they'll get back into the EFL any time soon, so I should probably let it go and congratulate them as I would any other small football team in the county that had knocked out a Championship high-flier.

Saw one Kent derby as a kid, we lost, hated Maidstone ever since.

Fair play to them for winning today, but I'd rather focus on our own shortcomings that were laid bare again today than spend too much time giving them adulation.
Not a zero sum game for me. They're in a different universe to us as far as I'm concerned. Couldn't watch the game today as I'm out for a mate's birthday but it sounds like more of the same with some green shoots of hope.

I do hope they get spanked 6-0 at home in the next round though

Ipswich made 10 changes for the game, so it was a reserve team which the commentators were saying was a bit disrespectful and would only serve to fire Maidstone up. However, I watched the start where Ipswich had 8 shots and hit the post twice in the first 10 minutes where they could easily have been 4 or 5 up in that time so couldn't believe it when I saw final result.

I don't think I've ever seen such stats as I saw at the end: Ipswich had 38 shots scored once, Maidstone had 2 shots scored both. How come Gills don't get such luck?

I don't think I've ever seen such stats as I saw at the end: Ipswich had 38 shots scored once, Maidstone had 2 shots scored both. How come Gills don't get such luck?
We do - we get Ipswich’s luck! In fact, scoring one in 38 chances sounds like an improvement target for us.

Ipswich made 10 changes for the game, so it was a reserve team which the commentators were saying was a bit disrespectful and would only serve to fire Maidstone up. However, I watched the start where Ipswich had 8 shots and hit the post twice in the first 10 minutes where they could easily have been 4 or 5 up in that time so couldn't believe it when I saw final result.

Cos they had fantastic 'finishers" and ours are consistently shit.

Saw one Kent derby as a kid, we lost, hated Maidstone ever since.

Fair play to them for winning today, but I'd rather focus on our own shortcomings that were laid bare again today than spend too much time giving them adulation.

I agree with this (but did see us win the away game at Dartford).

Fair play to them - they deserve the credit for yesterday but lets get back to us. They won't be real rivals unless they become a league team which is unlikely.

To save starting a new thread, congratulations to Newport County for providing a never-say-die entertaining match.
Shows what can (nearly) be achieved with fighting spirit against overwhelming odds.

Saw this from a Coventry fan!

View attachment 71270
Of course it's a relatively crap draw for them, at this stage of the competition. What a nasty piece of work, posting that.

I've a soft spot for City as I watched them when at Uni but it's hardly like drawing Manure or Liverpool.

I notice this unpleasant person used the Mail as his source, so that may explain his character.

Last edited: