Squad size, Evans has a bit to do before the window shuts | Vital Football

Squad size, Evans has a bit to do before the window shuts

Cookiejar

Vital Reserves Team
Performance aside, which was much, much better than Burton that's probably the first time I can remember us not filling a bench???? The fact the bench included Woods and Tucker means SE didn't have a lot to pick from, albeit in the case of Oldaker, Stevenson and probably Garmston through choice.

I know RCC was injured (again) and Ndjoli was suspended but it proves we don't have a big enough squad for the games ahead.

All the talk of players being close seems to have turned into @we are working hard to find the right players' but we need the mystery striker to run last nights good performance into 3 points, we need a left back and probably another midfielder, again left footed for balance so Jones can be available to play in defence?

What money on Woodyard from Peterborough as I'm sure he's available but cant remember if Evans used him last year or not?

Just been announced: DJ’s gone. I think it’s now highly likely signings will be made before the window closes.

Found it a bit strange that SE would rather have 6 subs than include the likes of BG or Oldaker as a sub. Surely you utilise the players you have at your disposal until you get the players in you want.

I find it a bit frustrating that SE seems to want to disregard players (especially youngsters) and fuck em off, rather than work with them and try and improve them as players. All these youngsters, with help, good coaching, encouragement and guidance to where they need to improve could be the next BD. That won't happen if you just fuck em off out the door.

Just been announced: DJ’s gone. I think it’s now highly likely signings will be made before the window closes.

All the best to DJ.
Some nice comments he left in his tweet.

Wonder where he’ll turn up? AFC? Div 2? Or non-League and maybe work back up?

Nice one thanks surprised they haven’t announced it yet.

DJ announced it in a tweet that he’d left the club. He was very complimentary as well.

And the GillsFC account responded (retweeted?) wishing him well and thanking for his efforts etc.

Once Evans made his mind up about Garmston, Oldaker and Stevenson that was it. He's not the sort of chap to weaken his position and put one of them on the bench. Probably not something SL would have done but that's why PDPS has opted SE and this tougher approach to management.

Once Evans made his mind up about Garmston, Oldaker and Stevenson that was it. He's not the sort of chap to weaken his position and put one of them on the bench. Probably not something SL would have done but that's why PDPS has opted SE and this tougher approach to management.

You’d have thought players like Garmston (especially being left-footed) and DJ would be good enough to at least be squad players. But SE seems to want/need to move them on regardless.

So I’m getting the distinct impression that the new signing or 2 that we particularly want are going to cost (wages) that we need to make room for. Probably want more than we can currently afford and that’s why there’s nothing done yet.

On that basis, I reckon we will have a new face or 2 shortly, and hopefully they will be the sort of signings that we can tell are a little higher class than we currently could afford.

Certainly hoping so. If fans are right that the Blackpool performance was very good and we can now add a bit to that, we should start to see things improving.

Disclaimer - all the above is pure speculation ?

I understand most managers bring in their own players but this is being done quickly. The squad is getting smaller by the day and as I said before one or two injuries and we will be in the mire.

Hopefully we will see a couple come in before the weekend!

I understand most managers bring in their own players but this is being done quickly. The squad is getting smaller by the day and as I said before one or two injuries and we will be in the mire.

Hopefully we will see a couple come in before the weekend!

Yeah. Surely no manager (Evans included) would just get rid of players leaving themselves short. I’d expect there are a couple of signings just waiting to be sealed once the budget is fully there.

That statement is made to sound that the reason Garmston wasn’t playing is because he’s injured. Evans has no intention of playing him fit or not. He injured both of them by overloading them in training by making them train hard with the under 23s then Evans personally making them run 5-10km after the session daily. He also made them travel to Peterborough with no intention of them playing ... because he can bully . He has them in 3 x per day at odd times. They don’t train with the first team squad and he’s just making it uncomfortable to be there. Nobody deserves to be treated like that in any occupation. Thankfully they are only mild injuries. Evans goes into say that everyone needs to be fit ... as we have lack of options and he should be back on the training ground on Thursday. Ha ha Evans won’t use Garmston whether he is fit or not he’s told him so. So why make bullshit and misleading statements like that ?

Found it a bit strange that SE would rather have 6 subs than include the likes of BG or Oldaker as a sub. Surely you utilise the players you have at your disposal until you get the players in you want.

I find it a bit frustrating that SE seems to want to disregard players (especially youngsters) and fuck em off, rather than work with them and try and improve them as players. All these youngsters, with help, good coaching, encouragement and guidance to where they need to improve could be the next BD. That won't happen if you just fuck em off out the door.
Woods and Tucker on the bench, so he must see something in them. Mystery to me is why Mandron doesn't start,as Evans said when he signed him, that he wanted to sign him last season at Peterborough.

Woods and Tucker on the bench, so he must see something in them. Mystery to me is why Mandron doesn't start,as Evans said when he signed him, that he wanted to sign him last season at Peterborough.
I think it was partly down to his car getting two punctures and his very late arrival to the ground eventually by taxi.

That statement is made to sound that the reason Garmston wasn’t playing is because he’s injured. Evans has no intention of playing him fit or not. He injured both of them by overloading them in training by making them train hard with the under 23s then Evans personally making them run 5-10km after the session daily. He also made them travel to Peterborough with no intention of them playing ... because he can bully . He has them in 3 x per day at odd times. They don’t train with the first team squad and he’s just making it uncomfortable to be there. Nobody deserves to be treated like that in any occupation. Thankfully they are only mild injuries. Evans goes into say that everyone needs to be fit ... as we have lack of options and he should be back on the training ground on Thursday. Ha ha Evans won’t use Garmston whether he is fit or not he’s told him so. So why make bullshit and misleading statements like that ?
So he’s trying to force them out of the club by making it as hard as possible for them to stay. Any idea why Stevenson is in this group as well?

But SE has publicly stated that neither Tucker or Woods are good enough at the moment to 'play against the likes of Blackpool' ( whatever that means). So basically we had 3 subs last night.

SE said a few weeks ago that he still had room left in the budget to sign players. Since then we've let go 3 or 4 players go if you include BG (who he's said can go). Whilst I understand the need to free up more wages, its no good freezing out/letting players go and the moaning you haven't got a very big squad. IMO SE is playing a very dangerous game that may well leave us short in terms of numbers as its clearly far easier getting/freezing players out the door than it is getting them in.

Whatever the wrongs and rights of it are, whatever situation SE finds himself in regarding players at his disposal, only he is responsible for. One thing is for sure, a few long term injuries and we're fucked, unless we do ' a Bolton'