Southampton-Manchester City Premier League Post Match Thread | Vital Football

Southampton-Manchester City Premier League Post Match Thread

Colin Is The King

Alert Team
Southampton 0 Manchester City 1
FT Stats
Possession
Saints 48.3% City 51.7% (City OS Saints 48.4% City 51.6%)
Corners
Saints 6 City 6
Offsides
Saints 3 City 2
Fouls
Saints 9 City 11
Cards
Saints 2 Y City 2 Y (De Bruyne, Ederson)
On Target
Saints 3 City 5
Woodwork
Saints 0 City 0
Off Target
Saints 6 City 6 (PL site has 9 Saints shots, City 11 - City OS Saints 3 shots City 4 off target)

Attendance 2,000

Compiled from Premier League and City Official Site match day threads

Links

https://www.premierleague.com/match/59033

https://matchday.mancity.com/fixtures/first-team/2020/southampton-v-manchester-city

Commentary By @ OS
17:00
KDB
Some very good displays out there today.
Gundogan excellent. Stones very impressive again.
But De Bruyne was absolutely superb. My Man of the Match.

16:52
'City not the City of old'
Southampton 0-1 Man City

Dion Dublin
Former Aston Villa & Man Utd striker on Final Score

This is why City are not as potent as they were. They should be two or three ahead. City are not the City we know.

16:54
FULL-TIME
Southampton 0-1 Man City

All over, City take the points courtesy of Raheem Sterling's first-half winner.
Pep Guardiola's side keep their seventh clean sheet in eight games.

Very impressive.

16:56
A different type of Man City...
Southampton 0-1 Man City

No side have conceded fewer goals (12) or kept more clean sheets (6) than Manchester City in the Premier League this season.

17:07
Sterling
"Tough one. We know how difficult it’s been in the last few weeks. But we are pleased to get three points today.
"We had a word with ourselves, we had to dig deep and find something within. We are a top team and we need to be competing every game.
"One of the things that’s let us down in the last few weeks is our aggressiveness. We are usually very aggressive - in the press or on the ball - and we are at our best when we are on the front foot.
"It’s a team sport. Of course you look at yourself as an individual and I do that. I know I've not been at my best, but it’s football, it’s unpredictable and that's why we love it. You can't always be at your best and you have to dig deep sometimes.
"There’s a real team spirit in there. Doesn't matter if we are winning or drawing, we stay compact and try to see games through.
"It’s a step in the right direction. We heed to keep going and keep being aggressive."

Opta stats
  • Following their 1-0 victory today, no side have conceded fewer goals (12) or kept more clean sheets (6) than Manchester City in the Premier League this season.
  • Guardiola has won six of his seven meetings with Ralph Hasenhüttl in all competitions (L1), with the only exception being Southampton's victory in this exact fixture last season.
  • Sterling has been directly involved in 11 goals in 16 Premier League games against Southampton (seven goals and four assists) - only versus West Ham (14) has he had a hand in more goals against an opponent in the competition.

Sky Player ratings
Southampton:
McCarthy (7), Walker-Peters (6), Bednarek (6), Vestergaard (8), Bertrand (6), Djenepo (6), Ward-Prowse (8), Romeu (7), Walcott (8), Adams (6), Ings (6)

Subs used: Tella (6), Redmond (6)

Man City: Ederson (7), Walker (7), Cancelo (7), Dias (7), Stones (7), Gundogan (7), Rodri (6), De Bruyne (8), Bernardo (7), Sterling (7), Torres (6)

Subs used: Mahrez (6),

Man of the match: Kevin De Bruyne

MuEN
Player ratings
Man City:
Ederson (8), Walker (7), Cancelo (7), Dias (8), Stones (8), Gundogan (7), Rodri (7), De Bruyne (7), Bernardo (8), Sterling (7), Torres (6)

Subs used: Mahrez (6),

16:52
'City not the City of old'
Southampton 0-1 Man City

Dion Dublin
Former Aston Villa & Man Utd striker on Final Score

This is why City are not as potent as they were. They should be two or three ahead. City are not the City we know.
Zero credit for grinding out that result against a high flying, in form team. No praise of a “resilient display“ and “disciplined effort” or any reference to our top rated defensive stats. Wrong narrative I suppose. Typical from an ex-rag.:finger: