🚹 Son Heung-Min - Player Thread | Page 23 | Vital Football

🚹 Son Heung-Min - Player Thread

It's a business, for the right price anyone can and should be moved on.....or not...depending on the goals and motivations of the club and where we are in attaining them.

If AP wants Sonny to stay because he thinks he is a crucial piece of the puzzle, then yes we should do everything possible to keep him. In my opinion, I am not 100% confident that Son is that 'puzzle piece'.
Agree, no player should be able to dictate when they should leave. There isn't a single top club that is run that way.

It's simple is the player good enough for the club and at this stage of the project?

At this moment Son is. Especially with Maddison in the team. But we need to be looking at his long term replacement. We don't have that guy in yet. We have a lot of squad fillers in that final third of the pitch.

Unless I am mistaken I recall that I have seen that some think that Son should perhaps be moved on at the end of next season. For me I think that this would be premature. The value that he brings to the club other than through his goals should not be underestimated.

The kudos that having the best player in Asia at the club must be immense. Kit and other sales, together with massive revenue from overseas is really valuable to us too. However there is one area that we may all tend to overlook and it occurred to me when thinking about the prospective bid for 18 year old Nusa.

Younger players see him as an incredible role model and will want to have the same opportunity that he has had at Tottenham. This means that for some Spurs are a destination club whereas otherwise our lack of of trophies, and presently no European football, may otherwise put players off.

So whilst Ange and his style of football is now a major draw, so too is the draw of the established stars, especially Son, and his presence with us should be really valued. I may be on my own but I for one would be against moving him on, if that were mooted, at the end of next season with one proviso, that he continues to make a footballing contribution to the overall team performances.
Agree 54, although this almost overlooks the fact that when provided with the right service, which we saw with Maddison earlier in the season, Sonny remains one of the most dangerous attackers and best finishers in the PL.
For me Spurs currently without Sonny is unthinkable, he has to be an integral part of what Postco is seeking to achieve.

Hi S&J whilst you points, are indeed valid, Sonny is right up there 'again' this, season with goals scored.
However he is now getting older, the turn of speed will go soon.
I'm starting to wonder if this is why we're looking at Werner/Nusa as Sonny's replacement 🤔
And perhaps sell Son over the Summer TW whilst he is, still in and, around top dollar

Agree, no player should be able to dictate when they should leave. There isn't a single top club that is run that way.

It's simple is the player good enough for the club and at this stage of the project?

At this moment Son is. Especially with Maddison in the team. But we need to be looking at his long term replacement. We don't have that guy in yet. We have a lot of squad fillers in that final third of the pitch.

As I was saying the other day, we do need to get another elite player (or two) in that final third of the pitch. We have a fair few of them in the other parts of the team. Some fans still want to buy another Udogie, Romero or Bissouma and keep building the squad strength. It won't work if the boys up front aren't as elite as their team mates. They aren't anywhere near at the moment.

When it comes to choosing between Richarlison and Son for the number 9 spot I think Ange needs to be flexible, even with Maddison in the team.

We saw earlier in the season when we played teams like Sheffield United, even with Maddison in the team, Son was totally ineffective. It's happened with other teams who have sat deep too. Against Sheffield it took a header from Richarlison to turn the match. It's a tactic we don't use enough when he's in the team.

A horses for courses approach.

As I was saying the other day, we do need to get another elite player (or two) in that final third of the pitch. We have a fair few of them in the other parts of the team. Some fans still want to buy another Udogie, Romero or Bissouma and keep building the squad strength. It won't work if the boys up front aren't as elite as their team mates. They aren't anywhere near at the moment.
I like those last to sentences in your post mutters!

My query is who do you and others think they are that will take our front line to the elite status you talk about?

Could the chase for Nusa be part of it?

So basically as things stand who should we be looking at or chasing?
Have we some possibilities in our ranks already?
Do we go for more experienced type of player?
Thoughts anyone! COYS

I like those last to sentences in your post mutters!

My query is who do you and others think they are that will take our front line to the elite status you talk about?

Could the chase for Nusa be part of it?

So basically as things stand who should we be looking at or chasing?
Have we some possibilities in our ranks already?
Do we go for more experienced type of player?
Thoughts anyone! COYS

The way I see it is quite simple. We now have 6 or 7 bodies that will give everything for the shirt and play to Ange's tactics. That is so important. What we need to do is to find forwards with all of those attributes plus the additional technique and football brain that is missing.

My guess is that we're not going to pay the massive transfer fees or salaries for the worlds best. Instead, we'll be relying on more recruitment magic, potentially from Fabio again.

I doubt you or I would be able to name names at this stage. To be fair, I had to google Nusa. What we can all see with our own eyes is what we have in the squad though.

The way I see it is quite simple. We now have 6 or 7 bodies that will give everything for the shirt and play to Ange's tactics. That is so important. What we need to do is to find forwards with all of those attributes plus the additional technique and football brain that is missing.

My guess is that we're not going to pay the massive transfer fees or salaries for the worlds best. Instead, we'll be relying on more recruitment magic, potentially from Fabio again.

I doubt you or I would be able to name names at this stage. To be fair, I had to google Nusa. What we can all see with our own eyes is what we have in the squad though.
No harm Googling a player. Apparently Maddison had to Google Vicario.

Unless I am mistaken I recall that I have seen that some think that Son should perhaps be moved on at the end of next season. For me I think that this would be premature. The value that he brings to the club other than through his goals should not be underestimated.

The kudos that having the best player in Asia at the club must be immense. Kit and other sales, together with massive revenue from overseas is really valuable to us too. However there is one area that we may all tend to overlook and it occurred to me when thinking about the prospective bid for 18 year old Nusa.

Younger players see him as an incredible role model and will want to have the same opportunity that he has had at Tottenham. This means that for some Spurs are a destination club whereas otherwise our lack of of trophies, and presently no European football, may otherwise put players off.

So whilst Ange and his style of football is now a major draw, so too is the draw of the established stars, especially Son, and his presence with us should be really valued. I may be on my own but I for one would be against moving him on, if that were mooted, at the end of next season with one proviso, that he continues to make a footballing contribution to the overall team performances.
It wouldn't be a question of moving him on at the end of next season because that's when his current contract ends. So if we haven't offered him a new one by then he'll be a free agent.

He's currently on around £10m a year. I think Ex mentioned further up the thread that his team are looking for a 2-year extension at £250 - £280k a week (£13m - £14.5m a year). There's currently an option to extend by a year.

He'll be 33 when the new contract starts.

I can't imagine the club will want to go into next season with Sonny running down his contract. And Sonny will probably want to maximise his earnings - one last big pay day.

A decision will almost certainly have to be made by both parties this summer. What would you do this summer, 54?

It wouldn't be a question of moving him on at the end of next season because that's when his current contract ends. So if we haven't offered him a new one by then he'll be a free agent.

He's currently on around £10m a year. I think Ex mentioned further up the thread that his team are looking for a 2-year extension at £250 - £280k a week (£13m - £14.5m a year). There's currently an option to extend by a year.

He'll be 33 when the new contract starts.

I can't imagine the club will want to go into next season with Sonny running down his contract. And Sonny will probably want to maximise his earnings - one last big pay day.

A decision will almost certainly have to be made by both parties this summer. What would you do this summer, 54?
It’s a really tough call Gary. On balance I think I would offer him that 2 year extension as £6m -£9m over 2 years is likely to be immaterial in the context of otherwise lost revenue. However if there is really silly money offered it is likely that the bird in hand is better. At £100m plus say £38m in pay that equals a lot of shirt sales, but takes no account of us becoming a destination club and acquiring players younger and cheaper or players that we would not otherwise get.
I would like to stick rather than twist I think but it is a really tricky call.

When it comes to choosing between Richarlison and Son for the number 9 spot I think Ange needs to be flexible, even with Maddison in the team.

We saw earlier in the season when we played teams like Sheffield United, even with Maddison in the team, Son was totally ineffective. It's happened with other teams who have sat deep too. Against Sheffield it took a header from Richarlison to turn the match. It's a tactic we don't use enough when he's in the team.

A horses for courses approach.
Agreed. Richarlison is definitely better in the air and more of a threat on crosses. It's a great option.

It's our wingers that need up grading. There are not many top strikers around these days, but there are plenty of really good wingers.

If the Socceroos win tonight, Son will be heading back to N17. Trouble is, I can't see Australia winning.
I think the game finishes at around 5.30pm our time.

If South Korea get knocked out Sonny could have a quick shower, make a dash to the airport, have a kip on the plane and join up with the team in plenty of time for a 12.30pm kick off tomorrow.

I think the game finishes at around 5.30pm our time.

If South Korea get knocked out Sonny could have a quick shower, make a dash to the airport, have a kip on the plane and join up with the team in plenty of time for a 12.30pm kick off tomorrow.
I'm not sure I would play him over Werner anyway going on Wednesdays performance and Sons poor recent form.

Son wins a penalty (he didn't take it) two minutes from full time.
It's 1-1 and extra time.
I am battling to keep awake, my eyes are so sore.
Korea seem to have a team of Sons .... all fast, tricky, and never stop running. They've had all the possession in the second half but Australia should have scored on a couple of rare attacks.
The momentum is all with Korea as they get ready for extra time.