Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Delaney

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Low

Votes: 11 15.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Gerrard had a good start with us, I would be more concerned about him being offered the England job, as Southgate’s tenure will likely end after the next World Cup.
The Liverpool connection irks me but ultimately if he's moving onto Liverpool or England it's probably because he has done a good job here. It's par for the course, welcome to modern football.

We've gone from a club captain and manager who are life long fans to a manager who will see us a stepping stone (regardless of whether we get SG or not) and a captain who doesn't have the same ties.

Looks as good as done to me based on a minute on google and checking the odds.

So much for the owners having genuine ambition IMO. This is a very much, "take a punt on a manager we believe is a top prospect and hope for the best". In keeping with most of our transfer policy it has to be said.

As of this moment in time, Rangers have not been approached. If Villa's ambition is to do this quickly then that's extraordinary. It's been said somewhere that Villa wanted guarantees that Gerrard's team will come with him before doing that, but I can't see that they can do that without approaching Rangers.

In spite of all the "99% nailed on" rumours, I still don't believe it. But then I scoffed at the notion that Randy could appoint McLeish :cry:

If Villa have an interest in Gerrard, then I suspect they also have other candidates who are higher up the list and Gerrard is a backup in case those flop. That would explain lack of contact with Rangers. I live in hope.

I'm completely on board if it's Gerrard, even a little bit excited. He has something about him, well respected by those in the game, doesn't seem the sort to take any shit. Fair few of our players need a rocket up the arse after the last month of games let's be honest.

Couple of things.. The stepping stone remark.
None issue for me, surely people in any form of employment have a career path of sorts. I wouldnt mind progressing in my work at some point, does that mean I'm using my current role as a stepping stone and it's therefore not important?

A lot is young managers will ultimately aim to manage their National side, so is any club job just a stepping stone.. Or is it just a career plan?

If Gerrard comes in and does shit, will Liverpool want him? That move to Liverpool might not his next job..

Another thing I keep seeing is people saying Sky will just refer to us as Gerrards Aston Villa, like they did with Lampards Derby...
Seriously? Do people have selective hearing?
I hear this most weeks on TV Coverage. Dean Smiths Villa, Klopps Liverpool, Conte's Spurs, Mourinhos whoever.. Managers name before club name. Baffled why this is a thing.

And if Martinez, or anybody else for that matter had a good season with us and one of the Sky6 offered him the manager’s job as a result of that ? Do you not think they would be off like a shot also ?

Exactly. The truth is unless you are Man City you are a stepping stone for managers and players that's just how it is. Loyalty doesn't exist in football and given the amount of managers we've gone through I don't have much sentiment towards players or managers myself anymore, Big Ron and Brian Little were the last two I was really bothered about. If Gerrard comes in I hope he ends up getting the Liverpool job because it means he's done well for us and we'll be in a position to get a better manager than we are now. If not we'll sack him and get someone else as we've done 100 times in the last 10 years. He will do well though I think, he is going to be the best manager of his generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.