• Delaney

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Low

Votes: 11 15.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here really.

No one on the list excites me, absolutely all of them are a gamble including the likes of Martinez, who I don't remember being a top Premier League manager anyway.

I don't care about the Liverpool thing, doesn't matter as long as he's winning games for Aston Villa, and we need to win some soon.

When this group of players are on form, we're actually quite good, and I can imagine them reacting positively to someone of Gerrards stature.
I'm not totally convinced by Gerrard, however I do agree with you that he will command respect, especially with the young players who will have grown up watching him play for England and in big tournaments, also when it comes to signings his presence may be a big pull.

The way I see it Gerrard has to succeed if he wants the bin dippers job therefore he will bust a gut to succeed and kick the players arses into shape and I think he will manage the international players better as he won't be in awe of any of them as smith appeared , letting them do the fuck what they want when they want etc

Going off the who’s next vote (above) seems the winner at the mo is Gerrard, not the mind blown I wanted, but would still welcome him here, and agreeing with others his draw would be bigger than DS, time will tell.
I’d be amazed if we’re only gonna speak to one person though.

The only reason Gerrard is in the frame is because his old mate is our CEO. I'm sure they will have a great time at management meetings telling everyone about all the great times they had at Liverpool and Liverpool was such a special place and how everything in Liverpool is better than everything in Birmingham.

My conspiracy theory brain is telling me that Purslow is hoping to ride the Gerrard train all the way back to Liverpool.

We are Aston Villa. We don't need their also rans and nearly men. Why can't our club grow a pair?
BB....What a sad indictment you paint of our CEO.
For me personally all I want before I join Erod, Acker and other friends who I could mention, is to see a Villa team back at the top. What is for certain is that will not happen overnight and the owners are looking for year on year progression. If indeed Gerrard is the new manager he will bring with him one thing that we have lacked since Martin ONeil. And that is a name that attracts top players. Deano did a reasonable job but he was never going to take us to the top. Gerrard, like him or not, has that name, has an attraction to players that will want to join HIM and therefore us.
I think hes a good selection, especially at this time with 7 or 8? matches before the transfer window opens. A couple of quality purchases (please, no more embarrassing bids from the recruitment bods) and his passion and commitment could take us into a reasonable position.

a name that attracts top players. Deano did a reasonable job but he was never going to take us to the top. Gerrard, like him or not, has that name, has an attraction to players that will want to join HIM and therefore us.

yep all those top players who've demanded to join Rangers is quite something.

Think prem money is the ultimate draw tbh

Yeah but if a young star has two identical offers money wise, who would he pick, Potter or Gerrard?

whichever team was playing better and looked better placed to advance his career -
the novelty of slippy G will last for a week or two for the players (unless there's diehard dippers in there)
and then it's just work

(and to avoid the high pitched whining of that lovely scouse accent then Potter)

yep all those top players who've demanded to join Rangers is quite something.

Think prem money is the ultimate draw tbh
No sure whether Gerrard bought any or many top players to Rangers, but he bought players within his budget to win their league. Now he will, hopefully, have a much bigger budget and he will attract top players to a top club, Villa.

So what if Rangers say we cant have him. Will he walk away from the club that gave him his first job in management.
In a word, "yes".

The only thing to think about is whether he wants it easy until Liverpool come around or whether he wants to improve and test himself.

This is a much, much harder job and we are frankly a bigger club from the point of view of resources and the income flowing through it. Expectations are very high as well given we've just canned a manager who by most metrics was doing a good job for us overall and that has nosed dived over just five games.

The pressure here and the size of the task is substantially greater than Rangers. If Gerrard has anything about him and is actually a good or even great manager in the making he will be jumping at the chance to test himself at Aston Villa.

Looking increasingly like it's Stevie G for the job. Genuinely disappointed to be honest. Screams of wanting a big name over wanting the best man for the job.

This was our chance to go out and get someone with real pedigree. Someone with a good track record in one of the top European leagues. Yet once again we've gone for a virtual novice at the highest level. Just like Lambert, Sherwood, Garde.

Whoever gets it will get my backing but I just can't get excited about it.

I didn't say we are going down in the same way talk of European football is pie in the sky. I think my prediction of 14th will be there or thereabouts. What we mustn't do though is throw the baby out with the bath water if it's a rough season throughout, a name like Gerrard should be able to better attract players that Smith couldn't as he didn't have that draw
Yes agree mate, I just can't stand Gerrard, and don't want him.
I don't have a crystal ball, if we get him he may do ok, and I sincerely hope he does for all concerned.
I don't rate his credentials in Scottish football.
He did what wàs asked of him and I don't belittle his achievement, but whichever way you look at it we would be his first big test.
I think Villa deserve better than someone of his experience.

At Villa there's an entire recruitment team tasked with the transfers, I don't know how many times it has to be said that the manager at this football club is actually a 'head coach' and not responsible for transfers. Football has, for better or worse, largely moved on in this respect and the club has attempted to move with the times,.

We all know Scottish football is mediocre but to handle the intensity of the Old Firm, together with the performances in Europe, tell me that Gerrard is more than just a good ex-player. He has taken that club and shaken it - upping standards and expectations. I cannot believe he would stand by and watch our midfield getting overrun as we've seen so often.
I didn't want Gerrard, but if it is him, then I can see many plus points.

Status
Not open for further replies.