So who do you want as new boss? | Page 2 | Vital Football

So who do you want as new boss?

Who next for Gills got seat

• Total voters
I can't imagine BG settling for someone merely "good". To sack Harris I would guess/hope he has someone special lined-up.

I would like Nathan Jones.
A Thursday morning statement said: “The Club has decided it now wishes to go in a different direction and will begin the process of identifying a Head Coach to take the team forward.”:

Considering Brad wants to change the approach completely and appoint someone as a head coach with a narrower field of responsibilities, formerly described as a "tracksuit" boss, I can't see how someone of Bruce or Warnock's age would possibly be considered, and that worries me more than the removal of Harris.

Bearing that in mind, Luke Garrard seems a good shout but I will not vote as I am uncertain as to whether this proposed approach would work, at least in UK football, so I can't say I would want someone like that.

I really, really hope I am wrong.
Appointing a "tracksuit" boss doesn't have to mean restricting his responsibilities too much. The Cowleys are tracksuit men in that they're at the heart of the training every day. But, quite rightly in my view, they would want a big say in recruitment, etc..

It's the manager/head coach who'll be sacked if things aren't right on the pitch. That man should be involved in deciding what tools he has to work with.

Good shout !
I don't really know manager salaries, but let's say a top Championship-level manager was on £1m.

If I were BG I'd offer him a much lower amount but with a huge promotion bonus taking him way over his previous earnings.

This way if we dont get promoted we limit our downside but if we do, he gets more than his usual amount. Seems fair.

If he’s appointed, I wish him nothing but abject failure
Disagree with this as any manager's failure is ultimately also the club's, and the Gills' fortunes are much more important than my feelings toward any individual passing through its employment (unless we're talking someone genuinely utterly despicable rather just being a bit of an arsehole)

Should we appoint someone I particularly dislike I'll no doubt have my little moan then hold my nose all the while the club is benefitting and recommence hostilities once their usefulness to the cause has ceased.

A Thursday morning statement said: “The Club has decided it now wishes to go in a different direction and will begin the process of identifying a Head Coach to take the team forward.”:
If they have been in discussions with someone, they wouldn't admit it.

I read that as a generic statement.

Whoever it is I hope it’s quick. Our caretaker manager had a 27% win rate st previous two clubs.

Nathen Jones won’t happen. Would be made up if it did.

On paper KR seems a good fit but there might be a kick back with fans?

Personally KR in, would not bother me if we are winning and doing it with attractive football which has to be the minimum requirement now

Steve Bruce and Neil Warnock are both listed on BetVictor. 25/1 and 33/1 respectively. Paul Ince also 25/1

Not Paul Ince.
Trust me, I can't go into detail why on here, but NOT Paul Ince.

I refuse to believe we don't already have someone lined up. If we haven't, I'd be pretty annoyed - you don't fire someone and then roll the dice.

Part of me wonders if the Hughes sacking precipitated this... same target so hand was forced?

Lets bring back Mark Stimson, at least then the football would be a lot more attractive. Probably wouldn't win too many games but it would at least be entertaining - and there hasn't been too much of that since Neil Harris took over the reins.

On a more serious note, Scott Lindsey might work but at the same time, he might not be a able to motivate a team that he himself has not put together.

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me to see a "big(ger)" name come in which might be the start of an exodus in january and a whole bunch of new players coming in which in turn would probably mean our saying goodbye to any hopes of promotion next summer.

Last edited:
Not Paul Ince.
Trust me, I can't go into detail why on here, but NOT Paul Ince.

I refuse to believe we don't already have someone lined up. If we haven't, I'd be pretty annoyed - you don't fire someone and then roll the dice.

Part of me wonders if the Hughes sacking precipitated this... same target so hand was forced?
I heard Paul Ince was seen in the snug in the Queens Head last night, sharing a packet of Scampi Fries with Kenny Jackett.

As has been mentioned elsewhere - interesting discussion on the Crawley Town Forum about the Scott Lindsey speculation. I can see why they are a bit fed up with it!