Smell the Bullshit | Page 3 | Vital Football

Smell the Bullshit

Two sides, one it allows them to blame X Y Z when things dont go right.

The other is maybe its just water cooler talk being put out, so from the admin, but not of malicious intent.

I just don't see it Wlatic, the information about the rejected bid came four days earlier than the bid, so how could any of the admin staff have that knowledge to be talking about.

I just don't see it Wlatic, the information about the rejected bid came four days earlier than the bid, so how could any of the admin staff have that knowledge to be talking about.
My thoughts are the bid wouldnt have come out of no where, off the cuff comments like "if they intend to bid £2m we'll reject it" said in front on the wrong ears etc.

A company I currently consult for is about to IPO and we've had large amounts of this happen.

Read my post to exiled and the scenario I pose.

If you were in another club you surely wouldn't be able to buy into another and then temporarily own bits of two and sell the other. You'd need to offload one and then buy the other.

I think you are stretching to try and make admins story make sense.

The only people who can leak info are bidders or admin. If the American's chose to leak their stuff then why would that upset anyone else? How could the American's get the info to leak it on other bidders?

My thoughts are the bid wouldnt have come out of no where, off the cuff comments like "if they intend to bid £2m we'll reject it" said in front on the wrong ears etc.

A company I currently consult for is about to IPO and we've had large amounts of this happen.

No, once again the context of the tweet from Nixon stated that a bid had been received, not was about to be made.

It is the context in which it was made that leads me to believe it is from the bidder, probably using the leak to test the water and the admins reaction.

If you were in another club you surely wouldn't be able to buy into another and then temporarily own bits of two and sell the other. You'd need to offload one and then buy the other.

I think you are stretching to try and make admins story make sense.

The only people who can leak info are bidders or admin. If the American's chose to leak their stuff then why would that upset anyone else? How could the American's get the info to leak it on other bidders?

They wouldn't have ownership in both clubs until the contract is signed. There is nothing in the regulations to stop anyone who is involved with a club bidding on another, they would have to resign their position at their original club if the sale went through and they then had ownership. It is the only scenario I can see that would require absolute anonymity be maintained but is feasible.

I admit it is just a supposition but does answer the questions being asked as to why someone would pull out. It would not be because of the negative comments or the fact that a £2 million bid was being made, it would be the fact that they feared the reprisals if their identity was revealed and the bid failed.

As I say it is just me speculating as to the reasons the bidder pulled out and whether it is right or not I don't know but it is just as valid as most of the speculative rumours being given for other things that have happened with the club.

Edit:

Sorry forgot to answer the second part of your response regarding how they would know who the other bidders are. I am sure they would have a good idea of who would be in the running, just as Nixon will, they will have been researching and using other contacts to obtain an insight into who they are up against. That's normal business practice when acquiring any assets.

The problem anyone needing anonymity would have is that if any other bidder decides to leak information there will always be a fear of what they know and what they are prepared to leak.

Last edited:
No, once again the context of the tweet from Nixon stated that a bid had been received, not was about to be made.

It is the context in which it was made that leads me to believe it is from the bidder, probably using the leak to test the water and the admins reaction.
I guess my thinking is that nixon said the bid had been put in, but the administrators then said it wasnt put in until 5 days later. That sort of disconnect, to me points to people acting on internal info / rumours which they are half hearing.

They wouldn't have ownership in both clubs until the contract is signed. There is nothing in the regulations to stop anyone who is involved with a club bidding on another, they would have to resign their position at their original club if the sale went through and they then had ownership. It is the only scenario I can see that would require absolute anonymity be maintained but is feasible.

I admit it is just a supposition but does answer the questions being asked as to why someone would pull out. It would not be because of the negative comments or the fact that a £2 million bid was being made, it would be the fact that they feared the reprisals if their identity was revealed and the bid failed.

As I say it is just me speculating as to the reasons the bidder pulled out and whether it is right or not I don't know but it is just as valid as most of the speculative rumours being given for other things that have happened with the club.

Edit:

Sorry forgot to answer the second part of your response regarding how they would know who the other bidders are. I am sure they would have a good idea of who would be in the running, just as Nixon will, they will have been researching and using other contacts to obtain an insight into who they are up against. That's normal business practice when acquiring any assets.

The problem anyone needing anonymity would have is that if any other bidder decides to leak information there will always be a fear of what they know and what they are prepared to leak.

But no amount of research would let you know who the bidders were and how much they were offering and when - someone would have to leak that to you from either the bidder or the admin camp.

I don't think it's likely someone like Mbuzz would speak to their rival bidders or the press if they were so worried about their identity getting out. So where is the leak coming from?

I don't think Smurthwait news was even broken by Nixon and Smurthwait didn't leak it himself as he was not happy his identity came out. So again if Smurthwait didn't leak it who did?

Last edited:
I guess my thinking is that nixon said the bid had been put in, but the administrators then said it wasnt put in until 5 days later. That sort of disconnect, to me points to people acting on internal info / rumours which they are half hearing.

I'm sorry but I can't see that it would happen that way. Nixons tweet said the bid had been submitted and that it was a final throw of the dice. No one on the admin staff could have had any prior knowledge and I doubt that if there was speculation it would have been that they would offer £2 million and want the creditors paying from that, it just doesn't make sense to me.

But no amount of research would let you know who the bidders were and how much they were offering and when - someone would have to leak that to you from either the bidder or the admin camp.

I don't think it's likely Mbuzz would speak to their rival bidders or the press if they were so worried about their identity getting out. So where is the leak coming from?

Where did Nixon get the Mbuzz info from?

To answer that, from his business contacts, the same sort of contacts that anyone in business would have. They might not have had the details of the bid but would have an inkling of who the opposition are. From my own experience when tendering for work contracts I would have an idea of who would be competing against me and with a couple of phone calls could confirm this.

They might not have confirmation but would still be able to put a name out by leaking it to the press, how many times do we see a players name linked to a transfer when there is no actual proof.

The bidder who pulled out may not have even been known to anyone other than the admins but could have been spooked by the fact that another bidders info was being plastered all over social media and feared that it could happen to him.

We will never know if that is what happened but I am happy to accept that a bidder has pulled out and his reasons for doing so are due to social media speculation.

If the American's are leaking their own info why would this scare other bidders?

How could the American's know what others bidders are doing to leak it unless admin or the bidder themselves are leaking it to them? Why would the bidder do that? Are admin trying to play bidders off against each other and it backfires?

I’m amazed at all this discussion about “bidders being scared off”

Haven’t any of you ever been a bidder on anything ?

You look at the accounts, check the assets & liabilities and based on what’s being asked and your own business plan you decide on a price and make an offer !

If assets are then sold then your offer price is modified, not by what that asset was sold for, but the sum that you valued that particular asset at !

Having done your own due diligence you certainly wouldn’t be “scared off” by heresay, or negative comments in the press or media.

You will have a limit you will go to and if the seller wants more than that then you bale out - it really is as simple as that !

I don't think it's likely someone like Mbuzz would speak to their rival bidders or the press if they were so worried about their identity getting out. So where is the leak coming from?

I don't think Smurthwait news was even broken by Nixon and Smurthwait didn't leak it himself as he was not happy his identity came out. So again if Smurthwait didn't leak it who did?

Firstly, we don't know who the bidder was that pulled out, but I would imagine that someone somewhere does. As far as where the information about Smurthwaite came from I believe it was mentioned on another thread and was from another journalist and confirmed by Nixon.

Smurthwaite was annoyed and pulled that bid, which he himself confirmed, due to negative comments on social media. I doubt he knows who leaked the information and as you say he wouldn't have given it away himself and yet someone found out. If this happened once then surely it could happen again and the information leaked.

Journalists have inside information as we have seen with Nixon and I have no doubt through his contacts and sources he is able to find a rumour as to who is bidding, it may not be totally verifiable but if leaked would go viral on social media and this is what the bidder feared.

This is all speculation of course.

You look at the accounts, check the assets & liabilities and based on what’s being asked and your own business plan you decide on a price and make an offer !

If assets are then sold then your offer price is modified, not by what that asset was sold for, but the sum that you valued that particular asset at !

Having done your own due diligence you certainly wouldn’t be “scared off” by heresay, or negative comments in the press or media.

You will have a limit you will go to and if the seller wants more than that then you bale out - it really is as simple as that !

You are missing the point Degsy, what is being discussed is the possible breach of anonymity.

I posed a scenario and that is what we are discussing we have mostly accepted that the under bid from the Americans was not a viable reason to pull out whereas the speculation on social media, as claimed by the admins, in my scenario does.

Where did Nixon get the Mbuzz info from?

To answer that, from his business contacts, the same sort of contacts that anyone in business would have. They might not have had the details of the bid but would have an inkling of who the opposition are. From my own experience when tendering for work contracts I would have an idea of who would be competing against me and with a couple of phone calls could confirm this.

They might not have confirmation but would still be able to put a name out by leaking it to the press, how many times do we see a players name linked to a transfer when there is no actual proof.

The bidder who pulled out may not have even been known to anyone other than the admins but could have been spooked by the fact that another bidders info was being plastered all over social media and feared that it could happen to him.

We will never know if that is what happened but I am happy to accept that a bidder has pulled out and his reasons for doing so are due to social media speculation.

How could you have an inkling of who your rival bidders were in this instance unless someone told you? If you were a large IT company bidding for a contract you could have a educated guess on who your general competitors are - there are thousands of people in the IT industry and most move around the top companies so finding one of them willing to share more than they should with former colleagues inevitably happens. But when you are buying a football club it could be anyone in the world bidding, there is no way of knowing unless someone within the camps involved leaks.

The story just doesn't add up, add that to admins history of contradicting themselves it sounds to me like they are preparing a scapegoats for their impending failure to sell us.

I'm sorry but I can't see that it would happen that way. Nixons tweet said the bid had been submitted and that it was a final throw of the dice. No one on the admin staff could have had any prior knowledge and I doubt that if there was speculation it would have been that they would offer £2 million and want the creditors paying from that, it just doesn't make sense to me.
That's what I'm saying Nixon said the bid had been submitted (thats going to be based on what he was told), the admins said the bid wasnt submitted until the end of the week. Nixon was right about the bid eventually being submitted, but wrong about the timing (if we believe the admins).

The admin staff would have had prior knowledge based on the talks that have been taking place:

"Despite being in constant communication with the French-Americans, no such bid was received that day."

So plenty of talk going on and I'd be surprised if the admins were surprised about the bid that came in.

Something else to point out:
"Fans will appreciate that no income has been received and no season ticket sales have taken place." this is incorrect:

- The club shop
- The crowd funding campaign
- Wigan Supporters Trust
- Money held in the bank accounts
- Loan Fees
- Player Addon Fees
- Furlough Money from the government

That is all income which has made its way into the administration.

In Krasner's statement he mentioned Ian Lenegan's mate Michael Danson hadn't been approached by them. I thought it an odd thing to say.
I haven't seen any mention of him since early administration on social media or anywhere else connected to Latics.
I wonder if it was a subtle hint that he was the mystery bidder and after Nixon's story about the Americans final bid there where a few negative comments about Lenegan flying around twitter. With Danson thinking with his rugby connections he could be subject to the same negativity if he bought Latics decided to back out.

In Krasner's statement he mentioned Ian Lenegan's mate Michael Danson hadn't been approached by them. I thought it an odd thing to say.
I haven't seen any mention of him since early administration on social media or anywhere else connected to Latics.
I wonder if it was a subtle hint that he was the mystery bidder and after Nixon's story about the Americans final bid there where a few negative comments about Lenegan flying around twitter. With Danson thinking with his rugby connections he could be subject to the same negativity if he bought Latics decided to back out.

I dont think it was a statement, it was a Q&A Session with Barry c/o supporters club

https://www.wiganathleticsupportersclub.co.uk/gerald-krasner-interview-number-4/

but somethings are not allowed to be published and neither are the questions!

I dont think it was a statement, it was a Q&A Session with Barry c/o supporters club

https://www.wiganathleticsupportersclub.co.uk/gerald-krasner-interview-number-4/

but somethings are not allowed to be published and neither are the questions!

I was just generalising with the statement bit.
All his other comments came with an explanation. But the Danson bit seemed a bit random. I accept that Barry could have asked a question about him but didn't print it. But as i said i hadn't seen Danson mentioned for a while.

Just a thought, Wrexham have just announced 2 Hollywood stars as potential investors. Wonder if they were the ones Krasner was referring to who agreed a deal with us and withdrew at the last minute?

If you are bidding a lot higher than another company then you might think "shit" am I paying too much. Then you reconsider your bid and bail out

If you are bidding a lot higher than another company then you might think "shit" am I paying too much. Then you reconsider your bid and bail out

I don’t think so - you do your homework and come up with a figure that stacks up for you !.

I can’t see Professional businessmen being rattled by a much lower bid !