Slavery | Vital Football

Slavery

Bert

Vital Reserves Team
Whilst I fully understand and support the Black Lives Matter protest perhaps I can suggest that the actions to remove reference and statues to historical persons involved in the slavery trade should be taken a step further.

The practice of slavery was very prevelant in, for example, Roman times. Just for starters Watling Street should be torn up and/or be renamed (suggestions please). Furthermore places like Colchester, Gloucester, Worcester and most of all London all of which are Roman names should be re-designated. All old Roman building such as Hadrians Wall should be destroyed and all evidence of the Roman occupation of Britain removed. :hmmm:

Whilst I fully understand and support the Black Lives Matter protest perhaps I can suggest that the actions to remove reference and statues to historical persons involved in the slavery trade should be taken a step further.

The practice of slavery was very prevelant in, for example, Roman times. Just for starters Watling Street should be torn up and/or be renamed (suggestions please). Furthermore places like Colchester, Gloucester, Worcester and most of all London all of which are Roman names should be re-designated. All old Roman building such as Hadrians Wall should be destroyed and all evidence of the Roman occupation of Britain removed. :hmmm:

If you're still ignoring me, Bert, you'll not see this unless someone quotes me but I'll say it anyway.

Why stop with the Romans? Let's take it back a step further to the Ancient Greeks, they had slaves too. And since it was they who invented democracy, perhaps we should just bin that too??!!

If you're still ignoring me, Bert, you'll not see this unless someone quotes me but I'll say it anyway.

Why stop with the Romans? Let's take it back a step further to the Ancient Greeks, they had slaves too. And since it was they who invented democracy, perhaps we should just bin that too??!!

It is a probability that every person on earth has at least one ancestor that was a slave or serf or wage slave or sex slave ......

The Times reports today that “cultural sensitivities” have prevented police from tackling illegal sweatshops in Britain’s fast-fashion industry amid concerns that they would be accused of racism.

I`d say that view is spot on and that many police chiefs in the UK should be ashamed of themselves. Police spend a lot of resource tackling modern slavery issues involving eastern Europeans and also travelers so why have they done nothing to protect people in Leicester from being exploited and victimised as slaves.

I think that the reason aired in The Times is spot on. Too many police chiefs are weak, self-absorbed, frightened of their own shadows and their fear of recrimination exceeds their moral fortitude.

Do we really think that the Asian population of Leicester, or any other place in the UK for that matter, is happy that exploitation of fellow citizens should go unchallenged ? Do we really think that the population of Leicester would object to freeing people from a disgusting form of nineteenth century servitude ? Do we really think that Leicester`s Asian population would be offended if a police investigation culminated in freeing people in their city from forced labour ? What an irony, a timid and frightened police senior management team has let down the folk of Leicester, simply because it was petrified of offending people.

Other sections of the administration in Leicester have failed their citizens too, but don`t underestimate the negative influence police hierarchy have when it comes to joint committees and working groups. The police is beginning to drown in its own political correctness.

So whilst the National Crime Agency attempts to investigate the depth of the problem in Leicester, perhaps it`s time for a public enquiry into how fit for purpose some of the police management are in Leicester.

The Home Secretary is apparently considering new laws on modern slavery because of fears that the existing legislation is “not fit for purpose”. I`d say that same fear should extend to some of today`s police chiefs.

It's just an excuse or incompetence. The Government should get its act together to expose all places that pay below the minimum wage (I wonder how many takeaway food outlets pay the minimum/living wage). OK it will cost the consumer more, but it would be worth the price and it might even improve our eating habits.

The police don't make the rules or laws. That is for legislators to do, and for them to enforce.

With new laws being rushed through all the time to pander to the new PC politics, I would suspect there are a lot of constables and sergeants who are constantly trying to remember and update what they are currently required to do, or what they are no longer allowed to do. For instance, stop and search is supposedly dehumanising and discriminatory and yet there continue to be numerous cases of concealed weapons being discovered through that method. It only needs one misjudgement and there could be another police widow.

Still, more important that “cultural sensitivities” are respected.

Oh, come on be fair. The Police must be doing something right, just look at the remuneration that the Senior guys are raking in.

In the year to April 2019 the top 9.5* Police positions in Kent enjoyed total remuneration package in excess of £1.5 Million, and none of those positions actually do any real Policing! No wonder none of them want to do anything to rock their luxury boat.

* One position is shared with Essex.

Cultural sensitivities - excuse for not enforcing the law (its all too difficult, and we do not want to upset minorities, what a load of rubbish). Government agencies (including the Police) are under resourced and under appreciated.

Sensitivities, an Political excuse for doing next to nothing.

I'd like to say , that the Police chiefs only follow orders from above.
Successive govts have bowed to Islam , desperate not to offend.
A blind eye is turned , because the problems are seen as too difficult to deal with.
Anybody who questions this strategy is castigated.

No they don`t. But they do care what those "above" think about the decisions they make, or as is often the case, don`t make.

Are you saying that the appointment of a Chief Constable isn't political ?
A man at the top of policing , that can be relied upon to say the right things at the right time ?
That's the way many Joe Public might see it , however I respect you will know more about these things than me.

Are you saying that the appointment of a Chief Constable isn't political ?
A man at the top of policing , that can be relied upon to say the right things at the right time ?
That's the way many Joe Public might see it , however I respect you will know more about these things than me.

Police, including police chiefs, have operational freedom to make decisions about investigations. Prosecution is another matter as that requires decisions/authority from the Crown Prosecution Service. As an example, whether or not to investigate an allegation of slavery would be a police decision based on the circumstances presented.

But police decide whether, or not, to investigate.

Thing is Lancs that's true but it's also an excuse for inability to assume responsibility and take things on, which you have already alluded to. I used to get very angry when data protection laws were quoted relating to the collection of information for benefit claims. Way too dull to recount in detail and it led to absurdities beyond imagining and I am certain that their decisions were in no way what the law intended, or directed.

I'm all in favour of laws to protect and sustain but people need to be empowered to make their own decisions and to live by them. That's not a call to take a cavalier attitude towards legislation but some things may need to be tested in law. We can't always play the safety first card because it ends in lunacy and more damagingly in the very concept of legislation and inspection being questioned.

A word of caution: Priti Patel has suggested that there may be an element of investigating minorities in certain situations. That doesn't mean we rush to accept that as the only story and then fail to address the other and more pertinent problems. Take a look at the redutions in inspection and control mechanisms across the board, fewer staff, fewer centres, fewer inspections. That leads to scandals and finger pointing about political correctness and nothing gets done. Inspection isn't cheap.

Thing is Lancs that's true but it's also an excuse for inability to assume responsibility and take things on, which you have already alluded to. I used to get very angry when data protection laws were quoted relating to the collection of information for benefit claims. Way too dull to recount in detail and it led to absurdities beyond imagining and I am certain that their decisions were in no way what the law intended, or directed.

I'm all in favour of laws to protect and sustain but people need to be empowered to make their own decisions and to live by them. That's not a call to take a cavalier attitude towards legislation but some things may need to be tested in law. We can't always play the safety first card because it ends in lunacy and more damagingly in the very concept of legislation and inspection being questioned.

A word of caution: Priti Patel has suggested that there may be an element of investigating minorities in certain situations. That doesn't mean we rush to accept that as the only story and then fail to address the other and more pertinent problems. Take a look at the redutions in inspection and control mechanisms across the board, fewer staff, fewer centres, fewer inspections. That leads to scandals and finger pointing about political correctness and nothing gets done. Inspection isn't cheap.

As you say, "We can't always play the safety first card because it ends in lunacy". It also, when played, lends itself to superficial inspection - when there`s somebody in place to inspect, that is !

Cultural sensitivities - excuse for not enforcing the law (its all too difficult, and we do not want to upset minorities, what a load of rubbish). Government agencies (including the Police) are under resourced and under appreciated.

Sensitivities, an Political excuse for doing next to nothing.
Yes. From my contact, at least at ground level and every day response policing, they are not scared of upsetting minorities. Re stop and search they certainly don't hold back.

My contact advised one BAME they'd stopped that it might be a good idea not to drive around in the type of car renowned to be owned by stereotypical drug dealers and have balcked up windows that raise suspicion. He replied "yeh, I told my mate it wasn't a good idea".

Yes. From my contact, at least at ground level and every day response policing, they are not scared of upsetting minorities. Re stop and search they certainly don't hold back.

My contact advised one BAME they'd stopped that it might be a good idea not to drive around in the type of car renowned to be owned by stereotypical drug dealers and have balcked up windows that raise suspicion. He replied "yeh, I told my mate it wasn't a good idea".
I hope she later apologised 🙄

These brands, sell shite but with good marketing spin.

Fuck that. I wouldn't be seen dead in it.

Fast fashion ruins the planet and has a negative impact on the lives of the people who work for the manufacturers.