Signing coming in shortly..? | Page 7 | Vital Football

Signing coming in shortly..?

appleton is a strange one (In context to his peers) Not bad not good but odd style. Or perhaps just too honest which in the current climate is a rare thing.

obviously we didn’t hear the question put to him but I think a politicians answer would have been all players can fight for the shirt only to flog him the next week.

if he is straight down the line I can see why he got the job as he fits in well with the way the imps are run

My new nickname for Appleton is Winston Wolfe
I am sure his role is to meticulously eradicate all evidence of Cowley Bros having been in charge.

Absolutely agree. I said something similar two weeks ago. Bolger to go. Then Grant and Anderson in my view.

Fine if it works out, but I can't believe that not one of the Cowleys signing are seemingly good enough.

Fine if it works out, but I can't believe that not one of the Cowleys signing are seemingly good enough.

How many signings did they make when we got back into League Two? How many signings did they make when we got into League One?

They clearly didn't consider some of their own signings to be good enough for the step up.

Appleton has his own style and the players in the team have to be able to fit that style.

Absolutely agree. I said something similar two weeks ago. Bolger to go. Then Grant and Anderson in my view.

Just out of interest which players are those you think were a mistake to move on?

It's sometimes not as simple as were the previous regime's players good enough. Were for example Toffolo and Andrade quality players. Yes they were. Did we receive offers that suited them and the club to move them on. Yes again.

But players come and go, more frequently than in the past perhaps, but that's the nature of the game nowadays

Bruno Andrade, a game changer who had something special about him.

Wasn’t Bruno out of contract 6 months or so down the line? I think Salford paid us a very healthy fee for someone that was unlikely to sign a new contract. I agree Bruno was a game changer when he was good, but we probably did the right thing cashing in while we had that value rather than him walking away for nothing.

Bruno Andrade, a game changer who had something special about him.
But as Impish has pointed out, he was moved on for a good fee within 6 months of leaving for free.

There has to be a practical, hard nosed aspect to running a football club. In recalibrating the club's squad profile to better suit L1, MA and the board have fulfilled their brief in that respect. The Cowleys likewise worked to the requirements of each forthcoming season - the season on season churn of players was high during their tenure and if they'd remained I suspect many of their earlier signings, Bruno and Toff included, would still be gone.

Interesting interpretation, Mike, and I mean that.

Allow me to ask a few (admittedly subjective) questions:

a) had Danny Cowley still been our manager today, how many of his own signings do you think he would have been carrying into next season?

I suspect the answer would be, "only those who are good enough to help us to progress towards our Championship ambition", but I could be wrong.

b) would that have differed too much to what MA has done?

Danny favoured a quick turnover on the playing side - the evidence for that is overwhelming. It did not matter one iota what any player had done for the club in the recent past, it was all to do with what that player could do for the club in the near future. He was engaging and likeable with the fans, but obviously ruthless with his players.

c) would you suggest that MA should not be building the squad in his own image? Do you think he should simply be respecting the choices made by Danny Cowley, and ignore his own opinion?

d) would you prefer him to try to force Danny Cowley's players to fit his own system?

How many signings did they make when we got back into League Two? How many signings did they make when we got into League One?

They clearly didn't consider some of their own signings to be good enough for the step up.

Appleton has his own style and the players in the team have to be able to fit that style.
That probably puts it more succinctly than I have just done in the post above.

That will teach me to not read through the whole thread before adding my own opinion.

Note to self: I must stop drinking heavily on Friday evenings.

Actually, bugger that for a game of soldiers.

Revised note to self: continue to drink heavily on Friday evenings.

It's sometimes not as simple as were the previous regime's players good enough. Were for example Toffolo and Andrade quality players. Yes they were. Did we receive offers that suited them and the club to move them on. Yes again.

But players come and go, more frequently than in the past perhaps, but that's the nature of the game nowadays
That's probably better than I put it, too.

That probably puts it more succinctly than I have just done in the post above.

That will teach me to not read through the whole thread before adding my own opinion.

Note to self: I must stop drinking heavily on Friday evenings.

Actually, bugger that for a game of soldiers.

Revised note to self: continue to drink heavily on Friday evenings.

The question is, are you still drinking? I am.

Feel sorry for Bolger. If we were setting up for a survival battle, he definitely is someone that I’d have in the side. Lot of his blocks and last ditch tackles last season earned us points. But our sights are now set higher and if we’re to challenge then we need more adaptable and technically skilful players in the mix.

I think we should wait for the full interview before jumping to too many conclusions re Bolger. Often a soundbite is taken out of context to get more people to listen in, so let's hear the full account first.

That said I'm sure most are pretty close to the mark with their last assessments of the situation

I also recall the winning start was with Bolger in the side, once replaced with shakell we started to loose games.
Agreed, but by then I think there was a combination of lack of match fitness after injury, lack of motivation, a new manager with a new playing style plus playing alongside new young players. All small factors but together each impacts on a players game, and it showed.

Last edited: