Should we sell Son in the summer? | Vital Football

Should we sell Son in the summer?

Should we sell Son come the summer?

• Yes, unquestionable

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • No, he has a couple of good season left in him

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Perhaps wait another year as Ange beds his system in?

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Buy Toney

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Buy Gordon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buy Ferguson

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters

Spursex

Alert Team
It's not difficult to see one way our club has been below par, and that's in selling players who are coming to the end of their prime or even surpassed it.

Son is 31, he may have possibly 3/4 years left at the top and his performances will continue to decline; just 10 goals in the PL last season, and for the most part his performances were dreadful; after his op he's looking better this season, the second half of the season maybe the telling time...

Can't help but feel that next season we'll need to give Richi a challenge for his starting place, and that's not going to come from Sonny...

We may have an opportunity this summer to maximise our return and to reinvest; Saudi's are sniffing and are interested in buying him, but he may need a nudge from Ange..we should / could be working on that now.

There are few PL ready goalscorers around, but come the season's end, Toney will have one year left on his deal with Brentford, and they have made it clear they want to cash in...

He'd cost around the same as we paid for Richi.

I think we should go all out to get him and show that we can flex our financial muscle and be ruthless about it..

Feel free to disagree. Is Toney too obvious a choice and should we go after Ferguson or Gordon and be prepared to break the bank?

Its a funny situation we find ourselves in regards Sonny, as you say not many more seasons left in him, plus getting older thus slowing down....so am of the opinion if the right "offer" comes in for him, then "Sell"

Our rebuild continues, thus as you correctly say start showing our Financial muscle!

As for Toney, my opinion is a big NO! Ferguson or Gordon they are both YES!

Its a funny situation we find ourselves in regards Sonny, as you say not many more seasons left in him, plus getting older thus slowing down....so am of the opinion if the right "offer" comes in for him, then "Sell"

Our rebuild continues, thus as you correctly say start showing our Financial muscle!

As for Toney, my opinion is a big NO! Ferguson or Gordon they are both YES!
Two votes allowed in above Poll!

It's not difficult to see one way our club has been below par, and that's in selling players who are coming to the end of their prime or even surpassed it.

Son is 31, he may have possibly 3/4 years left at the top and his performances will continue to decline; just 10 goals in the PL last season, and for the most part his performances were dreadful; after his op he's looking better this season, the second half of the season maybe the telling time...

Can't help but feel that next season we'll need to give Richi a challenge for his starting place, and that's not going to come from Sonny...

We may have an opportunity this summer to maximise our return and to reinvest; Saudi's are sniffing and are interested in buying him, but he may need a nudge from Ange..we should / could be working on that now.

There are few PL ready goalscorers around, but come the season's end, Toney will have one year left on his deal with Brentford, and they have made it clear they want to cash in...

I think we should go all out to get him and show that we can flex our financial muscle and be ruthless about it..

Feel free to disagree. Is Toney too obvious a choice and should we go after Ferguson or Gordon and be prepared to break the bank?
I'm open to the idea of selling but I'm not so sure players are going to be looking so longingly at Saudi going forwards despite the riches on offer. It would appear quite a few players are now regretting their decision to go there.

With the age profile of the squad we are building it would appear to make sense to me to look for a striker in their early twenties rather than someone like Toney who is that bit older, we look to be building a squad of players who are all going to be maturing into their peak years at much the same time. Still not fully convinced by Ferguson but fits the player profile I would be looking at. Hojlund looks as though he is starting to realise his potential now, someone similar would be good.

This is a big question! If we held on to him at say £10m a year for next 4 years would it be worth it for the excellent commercial revenues. Alternatively we cash in for maybe say £100m IF Son is attracted to playing in front of 2000 fans but taking a bucket load of wages. If he stayed to the end of his contract he would gain a signing on fee but we would lose a relatively large fee!

I think Son is the sort of player that will keep his bodily fitness and also his speed. He is of that sort of build. I am not his greatest fan but I think I would keep him, then over a period of time give him more beach time. He would make a really good substitute especially on a pretty young team that will need experience.

At the same time I think Toney would do a job for us, ready made, over the next 5 seasons. In the meantime whilst I’m not sure about Dane Scarlet it may just be that Veliz will come good. We also have Lankshear and other excellent prospects coming through who may be as capable as what would be a very expensive purchase in Ferguson, Gordon or an oft touted continental.

So really difficult! I think on balance I would stick with Son for 3/4 years, grit my teeth and go for Toney whilst developing our potentially excellent youngsters.

Over and out!

This is a big question! If we held on to him at say £10m a year for next 4 years would it be worth it for the excellent commercial revenues. Alternatively we cash in for maybe say £100m IF Son is attracted to playing in front of 2000 fans but taking a bucket load of wages. If he stayed to the end of his contract he would gain a signing on fee but we would lose a relatively large fee!

I think Son is the sort of player that will keep his bodily fitness and also his speed. He is of that sort of build. I am not his greatest fan but I think I would keep him, then over a period of time give him more beach time. He would make a really good substitute especially on a pretty young team that will need experience.

At the same time I think Toney would do a job for us, ready made, over the next 5 seasons. In the meantime whilst I’m not sure about Dane Scarlet it may just be that Veliz will come good. We also have Lankshear and other excellent prospects coming through who may be as capable as what would be a very expensive purchase in Ferguson, Gordon or an oft touted continental.

So really difficult! I think on balance I would stick with Son for 3/4 years, grit my teeth and go for Toney whilst developing our potentially excellent youngsters.

Over and out!
Hadn't thought about that 54 regards Sonny, as in commercial revenue and his own fitness attitude, plus his love of Spurs, so yes on that outlook KEEP!

Also agree wiv the nippers coming through.

As for Toney am sorry I cannot agree wiv you there.

Swings n bloody roundabouts there mate. COYS

**IF AP think Sonny is integral to his system, than everything I say below is out the window. I trust that AP knows who he wants filling out his attacking arm.

If not...

--If a great offer comes in...absolutely I would move Sonny on.

Over and out!
It's a good point South Korea is our second-biggest e-commerce market, only second to the UK, supposedly we have around 12 millon supporters there, and every home game he plays we sell an average 700 shirts in Korea and as his official shirt is £125 he brings in around £90k in just shirt sales alone, I'm told that his actual average sale per Son shirt with other accessories is closer to £150 per sale and so we pick up a nice £100k a game (gross) from Son still being here - so not to be sniffed at..

That said, should we be beholden to the financial benefit rather than the playing one?

Son is to popular to get rid of. He brings a lot of asian fans to the table and I cant see Levy risking that income. I believe Son will be here untill he retires. I am sure he wont make a fuss if he is on the bench. So he doesnt have to be a first 11 player. This season however he is doing really well. So I wouldnt change anything. Not sure I want Toney here, he is a criminal and better keep your hands of these kind of players.

Said this a few times, but it really would depend on the size of the offer for Sonny. Be interested to hear other opinions but for his age and fitness levels, I would have that about £60m before I started to listen. Obviously, a Salah size bid from Saudi becomes a no-brainer.

As for replacements, I say we stick to the current strategy. Don't be buying 28 year old Ivan Toney's. Get after the U25s and let's build something long lasting.

Said this a few times, but it really would depend on the size of the offer for Sonny. Be interested to hear other opinions but for his age and fitness levels, I would have that about £60m before I started to listen. Obviously, a Salah size bid from Saudi becomes a no-brainer.

As for replacements, I say we stick to the current strategy. Don't be buying 28 year old Ivan Toney's. Get after the U25s and let's build something long lasting.
Normally, I'd agree, but unless we have that U-25 to hand (and we might have) we will need a bona fide guaranteed goal scorer and at 27 he'll be close to peaking...that is, if we are serious about competing on all fronts..

Normally, I'd agree, but unless we have that U-25 to hand (and we might have) we will need a bona fide guaranteed goal scorer and at 27 he'll be close to peaking...that is, if we are serious about competing on all fronts..

Yeah, was working on him being 28 by the time he would wear our shirt. He looks the type that would compete well into his thirties, and his injury history is very sparse. What you say makes sense IF we can't find that player who fits the transfer strategy. Doing nothing and risking not making that incremental improvement again doesn't work for me. I like what Toney is about.

I hate to say this but will as my wife is not at home at the mo (she is a massive fan of him) - I would say whilst he has a top value ... Yes and it can only be downhill from next season (I think he is drying up as all teams know how to nuet him now) and we need a top striker and will need his sell on money to get one

It's a good point South Korea is our second-biggest e-commerce market, only second to the UK, supposedly we have around 12 millon supporters there, and every home game he plays we sell an average 700 shirts in Korea and as his official shirt is £125 he brings in around £90k in just shirt sales alone, I'm told that his actual average sale per Son shirt with other accessories is closer to £150 per sale and so we pick up a nice £100k a game (gross) from Son still being here - so not to be sniffed at..

That said, should we be beholden to the financial benefit rather than the playing one?
I think that another area where he could be useful in maintaining income from South Korea is identifying strong up coming talent from the country. If I remember rightly he recommended Kim who is not too shabby. I think we missed out there and he would have given continuity to that revenue stream. There may be others on whom Son has the inside track and who would come to us because of his presence.
Loads to consider in the overall scenario I think.

I have gone for sell.

For me its simply down to wanting to win. I have zero interest in balancing the books when it comes to picking the team. Son is a class player and i would 100% have him in and around the team for the next 4 years. Both his ability and attitude are worth a high wage to make this so. BUT if it means we dont go for a top striker or it means he is playing just to guarantee the £100k shirt sales then no, i dont want him to stay.

IMO he is going to become more of an impact sub over the next 12-24months which could prolong his time with us and keep him smiling if he is willing to accept it.

I think we have to look past this monetary value in keeping him issue, how much criticism of Levy have we seen accusing him of putting profits before success? Keeping him just for the revenue he brings, if he is not fully contributing to onfield success, would just give more ammunition to the Levy out brigade.......and they would possibly be right!

If you have a player in your squad, who is halfway through the season and has already scored 12 goals and managed 5 assists, then the argument to sell him becomes very weak unless HE is desperate to leave.

That is before the fact that he is our Captain with massive influence over the squad, is loved by all the team and is one of the most profitable players in terms of marketing and global reach.

I may be a bit too sentimental towards Son, but he has been one of the most consistent players in our squad since he arrived. He had a bad year last year due to injury, but is exactly the right player to help start off the next phase of this club - along with Madders and Romero.

Those figures imply we keep 100% of the income generated from the shirt sales, Ex. But isn't the figure for a football club much lower, typically 5% - 15% depending on the deal with the manufacturers and any other middlemen involved?

It will still be a tidy sum but really, the only consideration should be a playing one.

If we're successful on the field the money will follow.