Should we get Callum Lang back? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Should we get Callum Lang back?

I'm not suggesting we paid out the most, but given the expenditure they can't be classed as bargain basement buys. Personally I just don't think we used what funds we did have wisely. It's clearly been a weak area for us and something the new ownership group can improve upon to see incremental gains.

Surely it is all relative to the division you are in. I remember people posting on this forum when Caldwell won us the League One title slagging him off because he had the biggest budget in the league and had bought the title.

Paul Cook had a budget to work with and bought the players he could with the funds available, I am sure if he had been given a larger budget he would have been able to bid for better quality players, as it is he could only buy what in my opinion are bargain budget players. You say that in your opinion he did not spend his budget wisely and you are entitled to that opinion, but as I say the only opinion that really matters in this case is Paul Cooks and he must stand or fall by that opinion.

Personally I agree that our recruitment policy has been weak over the last few years and hopefully with Royle Jnr and Snr at the helm this will improve as they bring their years of experience to bear. I would however like to see the club having less reliance on transfers and loans by bringing through young players from our own academy, which I believe is a priority of the new owners but we will have to wait and see on that one.

Warren Aspinall didn't really feature until we sold Mike Newell, and it was in a lower division, back when standards weren't as high. I get the cut of your jib though.
We were in the leagues that our loan players are playing now, so yes they are getting the same experience. If we were towards the top of the league then we may be able to afford to play them, but in the position we are in it would be wrong for them and the club at this stage.

OLFE, thanks for mentioning that game. Wouldn't of thought to watch it otherwise. Lang just scored in the 89th minute to put Oldham up 2-1.

*You beat me to it, nice header at the back post. Not long after Fulham had a penalty saved.

Surridge looked good for them, came on from the bench. Currently on loan from Bournemouth(reminded me a bit of Wickham when he was younger). Iversen in goal was good and seems a character, on loan from Leicester.

Lang put in some driven low crosses, got to the byline a few times. Handled the ball twice but both were at close range and rightly neither were given as fouls. They probably usually give him the ball more during league games, was great to see him score his goal. From the right side of the goal near the back post he headed it back towards the other side. Hopefully a confidence booster for him to go on and play well for the rest of the season for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
VAR a bit squiffy just before that. Oldham Player ,Missilou, skimmed the top of Cairney's boot, he goes down like a dead animal.
Mitrovic takes his place and misses the subsequent penalty.
Great day for Callum Lang

Yeah it's hard to understand what's the point in Var if they still get it wrong(at least to me). Not sure if they told the ref it wasn't a pen or if he over ruled and kept the decision(If they were in agreement and that lost them the game it would of been harsh). If there was any contact like you say it was like a feather brushing against his foot. They got what they deserved in the end and no better player to see scoring the winner.

Lang's goal, no direct link. At the moment it's the first available they'll probably have the full highlights up soon. I missed their caretaker going mad as i was doing something similar myself to be fair.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/fa-cup/video

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done young Callum. A great finish against premier league defenders.
Nice to see one of our strikers score from open play :clap:

Well done young Callum. A great finish against premier league defenders.
Nice to see one of our strikers score from open play :clap:
Been playing attacking midfield for them virtually all season, normally out wide.

Would he be any worse than what we currently have? Byrne, Roberts, Naishite, Windarse, McManaman? I doubt it.