Should we get Callum Lang back? | Vital Football

Should we get Callum Lang back?

Will_Shahane

Vital Squad Member
Was thinking, if Vaughan and Garner don't start scoring soon, and with Grigg remaining out for the foreseeable, I think it might be worth getting Callum Lang back from his loan spell at Oldham. Scored 5 in 9 for them and surely couldn't do any worse than those two are at the moment? It's a bit embarrassing considering we spent 1.5 million on Garner, but nonetheless I believe we should take this opportunity to introduce Lang into the team and see what he can do. Vaughan and Garner have scored two goals between them, and we're a third of the way through the season now.

Last edited:
Couldn't do much worse but those two have hardly had a decent run of starting. Face it though it wouldn't do young Callums confidence much good being a lone striker with poor service and support as is the way at the moment.

Couldn't do much worse but those two have hardly had a decent run of starting. Face it though it wouldn't do young Callums confidence much good being a lone striker with poor service and support as is the way at the moment.

I know but even when they have been given opportunities they have looked ineffective. We've only scored 6 in our last 7 games, 1 of which was a defender's free kick, another one an own goal. Clearly something needs to change.

I agree that it might not do his confidence much good but we are in a desperate situation here.

Mike Newell, Warren Aspinall and David Lowe were all 19 and in the first team at the same time so maybe a return to this strategy rather than journeymen would be a good idea.

Yes! Get him back asap,

Cook won't bring him back though and if he does he'll be a bit part player, he's still trying to justify the signings of Windass, Garner and the invisible man Naismith, it'll be more or less admitting he dropped a bollock or three.

The championship is a massive step for League 1 let alone League 2 and the gap is only getting wider each year. Bogle was scoring for fun in the lower divisions and didnt step up in the championship. He's still young let him develop, I'd rather we recall him then we send him to a league 1 side or just leave him at oldham to get first team football than warm the bench once every month with us and risk losing his development and momentum, besides Grigg is likely fit for Reading.

The championship is a massive step for League 1 let alone League 2 and the gap is only getting wider each year. Bogle was scoring for fun in the lower divisions and didnt step up in the championship. He's still young let him develop, I'd rather we recall him then we send him to a league 1 side or just leave him at oldham to get first team football than warm the bench once every month with us and risk losing his development and momentum, besides Grigg is likely fit for Reading.

We wont know if he's good enough or not unless we give him a go, Cook took a chance on teenager Reece James so why not Lang?

People slagged off Cook in summer for buying players with no Championship experience. Lang has done nowt above level 4.

Reece James hadnt even had "level 4" experience before he joined us, he's took to the championship like a duck to water.

Chelsea have spent 100's of millions on their youth recruitment and development, some will be future league 1 or championship standard players, a few will be in the prem and there may be a world class player, which may just be Reece James who is an international player and was their academies captain and POTY so there were already signs of him being a good player. Don't forget Chelseas academy is leagues above ours.

Why risk ruining his current form? 5 in 9 is impressive but when you realise that 2 were in cup games and he's scored 3 in 15 league 2 games then it's not wonder kid statistics isn't it? If we bring him back now and he flops then that's 9 first team matches with almost guaranteed starts just to maybe warm the bench for us. Let his form continue and see how he does. I believe he's back in January so we can test him out in a cup game if he comes back, see how he does andif he isn't good enough yet, loan him out to League 1. Now is the wrong time to bring him back.

Last edited:
People slagged off Cook in summer for buying players with no Championship experience. Lang has done nowt above level 4.

True, look at that garbage he brought in from Portsmouth. However we don't need to buy Lang and at 19 is showing far more at his age than the garbage he did buy who was in his mid 20's. That said I'd leave him to develop on loan because if we need to rely on that young lad to stay up then we are fooked as there's a massive difference between that level and the Championship. More pertinently is why we buy such dross yet never take a risk on our own players.

I dont get your point Greeny, "now is the wrong time to bring him back" even though our strikers are firing blanks at the moment.

Yet we could bring him back in 6 weeks to play him in a cup game to see how he shapes up and come January we could be deeper in the shit?
The point is we need another option up front now with someone to put the ball in the onion bag all because the managers signings haven't been good enough to date.

The point is he's on good form in League 2 which is way below championship standards but his season in general isn't that great, Grigg has scored the same amount of league goals in less league games and will most likely be back for saturday. If we bring him back now and flops he will most likely not play until january when we can loan him out again, or we could let him continue his form getting guarenteed starts until his loan ends in January and then go from there.

It's a tough call as he's doing well and taking him to throw in the deep end could damage his development if he's not ready yet.

Langs stats are good in L2 - it's a huge step up but maybe he's ready for it. I've not seen enough of Lang to really judge how realistic it is that he could step up immediately.

I'd love to give him a chance but I'm concious he may be better staying where he is at the moment.

I imagine if we are confident he could come in and make an impact we'll bring him back.

Right ok, lets pin all our hopes on Will Grigg and lets hope and pray that he doesnt get injured again, because the other three "experienced" strikers wont pull us out of this slump, that said, it could be down to the managers line ups and tactics but that belongs on another thread.

I don't think it was because they didn't have Championship experience, but more because they hadn't even performed well enough in the lower leagues to suggest they'd be good enough for the Championship (Naismith had 2 goals in 21 appearances for Portsmouth in League 1 2017-18 and Da Silva Lopes hadn't exactly pulled up trees at Peterborough either). Here we have a youngster who has done well on both his loan spells (spent time with Morecambe as well and scored 10 goals). The only way we'll know if he's good enough to make the step up is if we play him, and like Jeff said, it's worked for us in the past. Plus, we don't have to pay anything for Lang.

Last edited:
For goodness sake stop crying about the players signed in the summer, get it into your heads once and for all that that is all we could afford. When there is no money in the pot you cant shop at Harrods. We could only afford bargain basement buys, some work others don't, Cook had to buy what we could afford and that wasn't much. Get over it and move on.

For goodness sake stop crying about the players signed in the summer, get it into your heads once and for all that that is all we could afford. When there is no money in the pot you cant shop at Harrods. We could only afford bargain basement buys, some work others don't, Cook had to buy what we could afford and that wasn't much. Get over it and move on.

I hear what you are saying about 'the bargain buys' but it would be okay if you're statement was correct, and some actually did work.
Are any of them any better than what we got rid of?
We also have youngsters available who can't be any worse than the 'bargain buys', and we also have Callum McMananman who hardly gets a sniff.

Imagine comparing the captain of the quadruple winning best youth team in the country and youth team player of the year across all ages at Chelsea to someone who over the last 16 months has scored 15 goals in 50 appearances at a level akin to Sunday League. Christ I despair at times.

If Cook wants to give a youth team striker a go, give it to the 16 year old kid who is allegedly wanted by every top club in the country.