Sewerage v Stevenage | Page 6 | Vital Football

Sewerage v Stevenage

Find it hard to blame officials when you have two shots on target at home.

Maloney's usual strategy of taking the lead then immediately downing tools in an attacking sense might've just about worked against a crisis club like Reading but served as nothing more than a gift to Stevenage and their savvy if unlikeable manager today.

It was either arrogance or naivety on Shaun's part to think we could simply sit back and hold out for an entire half against playoff-chasers without being punished.

We've the fewest shots on target in the division. Fewer than Fleetwood even. For as long as that remains the case we will continue to be susceptible to these kind of defeats and it is why we are once again looking down rather than up the standings.
You obviously didn’t go to the game then, if that’s your view

I’ve got no complaints as the better team won, I was surprised with how good Stevenage were and think they’ll end up in the playoffs.

They were fitter, faster, stronger, more organised, played in the right areas and far more threatening when they attacked. There were spells when we played ok but they wanted it more and we’re far more aggressive. As for their manager, yes he’s a prick but he’s doing a very good job there and is getting the most out of his players.

I’ve got no complaints as the better team won, I was surprised with how good Stevenage were and think they’ll end up in the playoffs.

They were fitter, faster, stronger, more organised, played in the right areas and far more threatening when they attacked. There were spells when we played ok but they wanted it more and we’re far more aggressive. As for their manager, yes he’s a prick but he’s doing a very good job there and is getting the most out of his players.
Yes, thats the match I was at.

On a more positive note we were more attacking today, I assume doe to the absence od Adeeko. Shaw, both Smiths Kerr and Goode all played well along with Charlie which I hate say I have come to accept. Good goal by Thello and Sessegnon and Godo looked Threatening when they came on.

Pity really that we got mugged by the ref.

Oscar, Goode wasn't even in the squad.

On a more positive note we were more attacking today, I assume doe to the absence od Adeeko. Shaw, both Smiths Kerr and Goode all played well along with Charlie which I hate say I have come to accept. Good goal by Thello and Sessegnon and Godo looked Threatening when they came on.

Pity really that we got mugged by the ref.
Goode didn't play Oscar.

Did you?

Did the Stevenage keeper have a single save to make in the second half? Maybe I was in a fugue state and missed it.
The second half was poor but Stevenage created nothing aside from set pieces and us stupidly losing possession. A ridiculous number of their free kicks were dives and conned the referee. Without the diving Stevenage contributed near nothing.

We deserved a 3-1 half time lead and disgracefully didn't get it. Their second goal was clearly not a free kick and the scorer escaped a blatant red. If you are 3-1 up at home to 10 men, you're very likely going to go and win that match.

Yes, the performance should have been better second half but it didn't need to be, we had done enough to winnthat game without the referees intervention. Worst case scenario had he got all things correct was a 3-2 win. Stevenage were there for the taking second half and think without the disallowed goal, we'd have won comfortably in the second half. I was surprised how poor they were and so heavily reliant on diving for free kicks, to get big men in the box for crosses. With stronger referees, they'd be significantly lower in the table.

Yes I did and I didn’t see a foul to disallow our 3rd goal but I did see a referee who blatantly gave cheap free kicks (one of which they scored from) whilst not giving us anything for similar or more blatant fouls
Maloney should do a bit of shithousing with the officials if thats the case, to be fair the ref did ok until Evans had a word around the half hour mark.

I bet Evans is laughing his bollocks off right now.

Big difference between the 2 sides is our 2 centre backs got bullied and lost too many headers especially the multitude of crosses they threw in compared with their 2 at the back who missed little and knocked Josh all over the shop.

But isn't that how you win a game when you play a team with with a clueless manager, I bet Evans is laughing his bollocks off right now.
You win a game by putting the ball in the back of the net more than the opponent. So when you do that legitimately 3 times and the opponent twice legitimately, you should come away with the three points. Irrespective of performances, it should be who puts the ball in the net the most.

We were awful against Wycombe and Reading but won fair and square because we scored and they didn't.

It would be interesting to know what was said between the referee and Evans because after that, what happened decision wise was not normal.

Big difference between the 2 sides is our 2 centre backs got bullied and lost too many headers especially the multitude of crosses they threw in compared with their 2 at the back who missed little and knocked Josh all over the shop.
That is the whole problem, their number 5 should have clearly been sent off first half and both of their centre half's first touches were pretty poor, they lacked pace and just kept cynically fouling. That ain't good defending, it's bad refereeing.

Like it or not that’s league one football Passing sideways and backwards will not get you promoted out of this league. Be ok top end of the championship. But not in league one. Not many will like Steve Evans. But he’s done the double over Maloney with his tippy tippy football. Simple fact you don’t score goals if you dont get balls in the box. Probably the lowest wage bill in the league. In the playoffs.

The game today went exactly as I thought it would. Better teams than us have struggled against this type of team - Big, well disciplined, playing for set pieces, falling over at the slightest contact, taking the man down rather than let him go past, bombarding the area with crosses and a Manager intent on intimidating the referee.

Wimbledon played the same way in the eighties and nineties and regularly beat the top teams of the day. Liverpool, were regularly turned over, being unable to cope with the aerial bombardment.

For a relatively young inexperienced side built from scratch, I thought we coped reasonably well and deserved something from the game.

PS After all the stick Josh Magennis gets, how much bottle did he show to take that penalty?

That is the whole problem, their number 5 should have clearly been sent off first half and both of their centre half's first touches were pretty poor, they lacked pace and just kept cynically fouling. That ain't good defending, it's bad refereeing.
Not how I saw it...both their lads at the back had good games...awful team to watch but give credit where it's due they kept us to scraps.

I must admit, when their second goal went in I thought why can't we do that instead of trying to play the ball into the net.

Maloney should do a bit of shithousing with the officials if thats the case, to be fair the ref did ok until Evans had a word around the half hour mark.

I bet Evans is laughing his bollocks off right now.

Good to see Magennis on the mark again eh Frank and a decent performance. Not too bad for a pub player. Some decent football today without creating many chances. Great to see Kerr back.