Sewerage v Stevenage | Page 8 | Vital Football

Sewerage v Stevenage

I actually enjoyed that game far more than the last two. I thought we played a lot better than in recent weeks and when we got the ball wide caused them a lot of problems.

Matt Smith is, for me, the missing link that we have been short of to drive the team forward. Some of the balls he played through the middle should have resulted in shots on goal if our forward line had been better.

The game was won by a weak referee and naivety from our players and not the better players being in the Stevenage ranks. I say naivety because it was obvious to all and sundry how Stevenage were playing for the free kicks, except for the weak kneed referee who fell for every trick in the book.

It fell to our players to hold back from challenges as every time we won the ball, fairly or unfairly, it resulted in an opposition player on the ground. The referee should have noticed this and not allowed them to take the piss. There were also a number of fouls given against Stevenage players that should have resulted in a card in the first half that the referee failed to give which emboldened them and resulted in more foul play.

Don't get me wrong, that is the way that Evans sets his teams up. They are not skilful enough to work the ball up the pitch and rely on their players conning free kicks from referees to enable them to push men into the box to get on the end of the crosses.

They play the system to a tee and full credit to them for that. They are playing to their strengths, it's just a shame that there are always going to be weak referees who allow this to happen. If things don't go their way then Evans steps in and has a spat with the fourth official and the referee which almost always results in the referee questioning his next few decisions.

It is the way they play, and they are damn good at it but we were really niaive and allowed ourselves to be dragged into giving the referee the opportunity to award them the free kicks.

Hopefully we will learn from playing opposition like this as after all we are still a young side and still developing. The pleasing thing about today for me was that we actually played some decent football in spells and went toe to toe with their big forwards and didn't allow them to simply bully us into submission.

I agree with the majority of ur post but not the....

'they play the system to a tee and full credit to then' = CHEATING BASTARDS....
or the

'Evans steps in and has a spat with the fourth official & the referee which results in the referee questioning his next few decisions' = CHEATING BASTARDS.....
or the

'It's the way they play n they're damm good at it' = CHEATING BASTARDS...

Dress it up however you like but we played very well & were undone by an absolutely shite referee, a fat cheating bastard in the shape of Steve Evans & his abysmal team of shithouses.

One thing I noticed about Stevenage was how well organised they were. There were never any big gaps between players and they attacked and defended as a team. That’s down to good coaching and players working hard. They were able to squeeze the game and pin us back at times meaning they could put balls into the box.

Another thing I commented on today was the positioning of one of their forwards on the half way line every time we got a free kick or a corner.

It is something that bugs the shit out of me every game.

We never do it and yet, as was shown today, we had to leave two of our own players back to cover giving them an advantage in the box and the possibility of an out ball and quick break away.

It's no wonder we fail to clear the lines after a corner and the ball just keeps coming back.

I have said that for years TB....put one of our players on the half way line at corners & it takes 2 of the opposition out, sadly we've never done this...🤔

I agree with the majority of ur post but not the....

'they play the system to a tee and full credit to then' = CHEATING BASTARDS....
or the

'Evans steps in and has a spat with the fourth official & the referee which results in the referee questioning his next few decisions' = CHEATING BASTARDS.....
or the

'It's the way they play n they're damm good at it' = CHEATING BASTARDS...

Dress it up however you like but we played very well & were undone by an absolutely shite referee, a fat cheating bastard in the shape of Steve Evans & his abysmal team of shithouses.
A manager with a bit more savvy and bottle would have won us that game, what did Tinkerbell do? Handed it to them on a plate with the subs and tactics, the players didnt know if they were coming or going last half hour.

On a more positive note we were more attacking today, I assume doe to the absence od Adeeko. Shaw, both Smiths Kerr and Goode all played well along with Charlie which I hate say I have come to accept. Good goal by Thello and Sessegnon and Godo looked Threatening when they came on.

Pity really that we got mugged by the ref.
agree wi that ob. saw this as building from tues neet game were we were putting more long crosfeeld passes in. i thot that they were starting to beleeve in themselfs when they had the ball in space on the wing.
but. theres alweys a but. i think there still a bit unsure when they get there and thats shown in the number/lack of shots we have per game.

sommart else ive noticed. when we get the ball midfeeld nobody is running. well hardly anybody. this results in no forward opteon and then we go back to the sideweys shit. maybe somebody can track down the stats on how many runs/dribles from midfeeld/wing we had. insted of looking for the pass prehaps our wing pley could involve carrying the ball forward and drawing pleyers in to create space.

agree another good goal by thelo. homefuly reinforce his confedence going forward.

A manager with a bit more savvy and bottle would have won us that game, what did Tinkerbell do? Handed it to them on a plate with the subs and tactics, the players didnt know if they were coming or going last half hour.
Come on Frank, I get it you hate changes for change sake, but Shaw was losing the battle in the middle and Sess, with his experience, was the best option we had. Godo coming on for anyone could never be described as a bad option, but for J.Smith who had run himself in to the ground, it made perfect sense. Wyke for Magennis? Surely you're not disputing that? Then chucking Humphreys and McManaman on for a spent Thelo and a centre back is the kind of change you want any manager to make when chasing a game

They had no pace, when we played ball to feet offensively and ran at them, their defence looked out of their depth and just hacked us down. Their tactics were hoof and dive to get free kicks as without our mistakes giving them the ball they had no quality to create chances.

Worst side we've played this season and we deserved to go in 3-1 at half time. It takes a very poor team were they know all they can do is dive to try and get something out of a game.

Their centre half who scored their second, from a free kick which was a clear dive, should have been sent off first half.

It should have been 3-1 with 45 minutes to go against 10 men and I think we would have run riot second half.

Our second half performance was a lot poorer than the first but we were the better team throughout.

Referee does his job and we come away with a deserved 3 points.

The worst refereeing performance we've had that. Not just bad but total and utter bias throughout.

Worst ref since Stevenage away him

The game was won by a weak referee and naivety from our players and not the better players being in the Stevenage ranks. I say naivety because it was obvious to all and sundry how Stevenage were playing for the free kicks, except for the weak kneed referee who fell for every trick in the book.
this.
a lot miss this when thinking of the teem. everyone quick to defend us by seying were doing well for a yung teem but. another but. we can be both a yung and savvy teem.
im not seying ill have a word with my old therepists to come in for a chat but prehaps the owd trout could take them for a twice weekly sesh to show the lads how the game used to be pleyed. (without hurting em). he were no angel himself😉

That is so correct frank took the defensive midfielder in Shaw off and brought Ses on who would old never win a 50/50, ball, with some big bruiser from Stevenage. Then to make the other subs. Every one then had not got a bloody clue once again where they were playing.

I have said that for years TB....put one of our players on the half way line at corners & it takes 2 of the opposition out, sadly we've never done this...🤔

I've wondered for years why managers don't put 2 players about 5/10 yards in from touchlines a few yards outside the box and one central another few yards further upfield, attacking team then have a big decision to make

How many times have we seen 5 subs in a game cost us this season
One sub or two fine. Crazy this five subs you can set the clock 62 minutes then the fun starts. Tinkering

you no i like you jock and value your opineons. but if your gonna start sitting on the fence like this then i cant see me teking you sereously agen.😉

Come on Frank, I get it you hate changes for change sake, but Shaw was losing the battle in the middle and Sess, with his experience, was the best option we had. Godo coming on for anyone could never be described as a bad option, but for J.Smith who had run himself in to the ground, it made perfect sense. Wyke for Magennis? Surely you're not disputing that? Then chucking Humphreys and McManaman on for a spent Thelo and a centre back is the kind of change you want any manager to make when chasing a game
corect
for once no probs wi the number or how he used his subs todey.

Just spotted this on progress with unity page on facebook, the disallowed goal,

The stevaenage player through himself to the ground after feeling a hand on him, ironically it's from his own player.

It wasn't the clearest video, but I was shown one, just after half time, we're now getting goals disallowed by fouls by opposing players on their own man....new one on me. Was never a foul, goal all day long and twice on a Sunday. Noticed lino had given it and was running back for KO and don't think any Stevenage player appealed

Think we’re getting a bit obsessed with this ref a little yes he was bad. But these lot missed about 4 good chances during the match. Couple of free headers that looked easier to score than miss. Manager just said we couldn’t cope with balls in the box. Morrison for some reason as lost his place one of the better performers this season. Yes was good to see Kerr back but didn’t win many balls in the air