Season tickets | Page 8 | Vital Football

Season tickets

I wouldn't forgive an individual if they attempted to kill me, but i wouldn't hold anyone other than the individual responsible for their actions. I've heard some people say Dave Whelan destroyed Orrell when he Latics chairman, but that doesn't make the club or any of us fans responsible for that. If Orrell fans hated Latics for what they feel Whelan did to them that wouldn't be reasonable - so same principle works both ways. I'm not going to hate or blame a whole club and fan base for the actions of individuals in their hierachy.

I live close to but not in Wigan. But it doesn't change the fact that the rivalry doesn't help either side in attracting more fans.

The point isn't to remove the divide to be nice for the sake of being nice, it's to make the thousands of Warriors fans who also watch football to feel like they can support Latics and it's not a case of picking a side. We need as many fans as we can get, anything that puts off any potential fans is something we should try and remove for our own benefit.
With all due respect, if you didn't live in Wigan back when we really were shit and the rugby really were top dogs, then you simply won't and will never understand how bad Latics fans had it back then. The bullying, the laughing, the derision and that was just the fans. Then you had the actual rugby club led by Maurice and his pals trying to put the football club out of action.

Say me and you worked in the same company KDZ. I was the top dog employer, whilst you were the up and coming starlet making a name for yourself. I saw you as a direct threat to my status as top dog and subsequently ran you over whilst you were cycling home. That is the equivalent of what Wigan Warriors tried to do to Latics back in the day and why they will never ever be forgiven.

Needless to say, Latics survived being run over and with a little help from Uncle Dave went on to eventually usurp Wigan Warriors as the new top dog in town. They even had the decency to keep the fallen Warriors in work rather than cut them loose (gifting them a poppycorn rent to play at the DW rather than let them go bust).

With all due respect, if you didn't live in Wigan back when we really were shit and the rugby really were top dogs, then you simply won't and will never understand how bad Latics fans had it back then. The bullying, the laughing, the derision and that was just the fans. Then you had the actual rugby club led by Maurice and his pals trying to put the football club out of action.

Say me and you worked in the same company KDZ. I was the top dog employer, whilst you were the up and coming starlet making a name for yourself. I saw you as a direct threat to my status as top dog and subsequently ran you over whilst you were cycling home. That is the equivalent of what Wigan Warriors tried to do to Latics back in the day and why they will never ever be forgiven.

Needless to say, Latics survived being run over and with a little help from Uncle Dave went on to eventually usurp Wigan Warriors as the new top dog in town. They even had the decency to keep the fallen Warriors in work rather than cut them loose (gifting them a poppycorn rent to play at the DW rather than let them go bust).
Spot on

I've tried many times to move on & let bygones be bygones. However, whilst I will admit we have fans that have an absolute hatred towards the rugby, I truly believe their fans hold the bigger grudge & hatred.

There will always be some folks who wont want to move on, maybe on their side there is more hatred overall, but you'll never win them round, so you just focus on everyone else.

If both clubs don't genuinely see benefit in it or are willing to put any effort in then nothing will change. But if they were up for it i think they'd be able to start to make progress. It wont be fixed over night but you've got to start somewhere.

There will always be some folks who wont want to move on, maybe on their side there is more hatred overall, but you'll never win them round, so you just focus on everyone else.

If both clubs don't genuinely see benefit in it or are willing to put any effort in then nothing will change. But if they were up for it i think they'd be able to start to make progress. It wont be fixed over night but you've got to start somewhere.
Good luck

Lindsey wanted us to fail, part of that was he didn't want to see any Warrior's fans coming to watch us and help to make us more sucesful - keeping the rivalry going to spite him is playing into exactly what he wanted as it coninues to hurt us.

The biggest spite to him would to see all the Warriors fans willing to embrace Latics and go to games so we have bigger attendnaces and more money.

Lindsey was a villain to us, no one needs to say a good word about him or forgive him - but he divided us - now he's dead we should look the bury the division he sowed rather than keep that legacy alive.

Like I say it's deep rooted and is passed on father to son and daughter
Maybe you should join the cherry and White forum
And mention on their forum what you are saying on here
Would be very interesting to see the response you would get from them

Things that happened in the past don't have to dictate the future.

I'm not interested in Warriors forums with about 20 or 30 hardcore fans, i'm intersted in the thousands of sports fans in the town that think you have to pick Warriors or Latics when that shouldn't be the case. I think both clubs should be too - mutual self interst is potentially a great healer and the mother of invention.

I have moved on and after what Pollard pulled last year I like them even less.
However if we could get a realistic rental and their fans spent their money in the stadium and it was actually worthwhile business for Latics and if the local council and local press gave us equal attention then I could begrudgingly tolerate their existence, just.

It makes no difference to me what anybody feels or does, don't give a shit. Some have hatred inside and nowt else matters....don't then come on here bemoaning the lack of effort to attract new fans when half the fuckin town are cast as wankers from some on here.

That's it, there are no more fans, well none that feel welcome anyway.

Things that happened in the past don't have to dictate the future.

I'm not interested in Warriors forums with about 20 or 30 hardcore fans, i'm intersted in the thousands of sports fans in the town that think you have to pick Warriors or Latics when that shouldn't be the case. I think both clubs should be too - mutual self interst is potentially a great healer and the mother of invention.
Thing is with you not living in wigan its hard to grasp but its not a dig at you in any shape or form
But majority of sports fans in wigan are football fans,unfortunately they are very deep rooted man utd liverpool everton man city
And they will do so generation after generation that will not change for quite some time
Most of will not entertain going to latics matches , but we are growing in fans numbers alot of youngsters now going to our games
But the dream of unity between rugby and football will only be that a dream
Might happen a generation or two down the road time will tell but i cant see it

I'll always remember as a youngster sitting in McDonald's when 3 of the rugby lot walked in (Gary Connoly was one of the 3 if I remember so it was early 90's) & arrogantly behaving as if they owned the joint. Coming across as the "Do you know who I am" mentality.

Another memory was at Wembley. I can't remember if it was the auto windscreens final or the play off final vs Gillingham. Towards the end of the game a few latics fans (myself included) spotted the warriors team in their suits who had been invited to the game by Dave Whelan - perhaps Lyndsay had a part in it as well as he might have been, or about to become a director at the club. Anyway, upon spotting the Warriors players the latics fans (not me mind you) gave them so much verbal abuse & grief. They all sat there stony faced.

I too was the victim of taunts whilst at school being the only latics fan. The taunts coming more from the teachers. Growing up in the 70s & 80s meant you were seriously lambasted being a latics fan.

Thing is with you not living in wigan its hard to grasp but its not a dig at you in any shape or form
But majority of sports fans in wigan are football fans,unfortunately they are very deep rooted man utd liverpool everton man city
And they will do so generation after generation that will not change for quite some time
Most of will not entertain going to latics matches , but we are growing in fans numbers alot of youngsters now going to our games
But the dream of unity between rugby and football will only be that a dream
Might happen a generation or two down the road time will tell but i cant see it

As you say the older fans who lived through the 80's and 90's rivalry and wont ever entertain supporting both clubs aren't the ones we care about, they are a lost cause. But the younger generations who only pick a side because they've been told to by that older generation but have no personal axe to grind are the ones we can work on. The next generation is exactly who we want and to get them you have to start putting in the groundwork now.

If we want to grow attendnaces we are going to have to grow a bigger next generation of fans. To maximise that we can't effectively alienate the significant portion of the town that support Warriors. There should be a drive to ensure young Warriors fans are actively encouraged and welcomed to support both teams and not made to feel their Rugby alligence is a negative thing.

As you say the older fans who lived through the 80's and 90's rivalry and wont ever entertain supporting both clubs aren't the ones we care about, they are a lost cause. But the younger generations who only pick a side because they've been told to by that older generation but have no personal axe to grind are the ones we can work on. The next generation is exactly who we want and to get them you have to start putting in the groundwork now.

If we want to grow attendnaces we are going to have to grow a bigger next generation of fans. To maximise that we can't effectively alienate the significant portion of the town that support Warriors. There should be a drive to ensure young Warriors fans are actively encouraged and welcomed to support both teams and not made to feel their Rugby alligence is a negative thing.
All i say is good luck on that idea ,but i wont hold my breath for it to work
What are your thoughts on warriors fans that boycott buying drinks and food at our stadium
Instead they go to the costa coffee stadium next door because they dont like putting a few bob into latics coffers

All i say is good luck on that idea ,but i wont hold my breath for it to work
What are your thoughts on warriors fans that boycott buying drinks and food at our stadium
Instead they go to the costa coffee stadium next door because they dont like putting a few bob into latics coffers
Your banging your head against a brick wall. How many Huddersfield fans watch both. None. ….
Same in Hull. It’s like saying. I will watch both Hull and Hull Kingston Rover.s and the football never happen.

I wouldn't forgive an individual if they attempted to kill me, but i wouldn't hold anyone other than the individual responsible for their actions. I've heard some people say Dave Whelan destroyed Orrell when he Latics chairman, but that doesn't make the club or any of us fans responsible for that. If Orrell fans hated Latics for what they feel Whelan did to them that wouldn't be reasonable - so same principle works both ways. I'm not going to hate or blame a whole club and fan base for the actions of individuals in their hierachy.

I live close to but not in Wigan. But it doesn't change the fact that the rivalry doesn't help either side in attracting more fans.

The point isn't to remove the divide to be nice for the sake of being nice, it's to make the thousands of Warriors fans who also watch football to feel like they can support Latics and it's not a case of picking a side. We need as many fans as we can get, anything that puts off any potential fans is something we should try and remove for our own benefit.
Are you in dream land wouldnt watch us in premier league days.

Got some very short memories. Some posting on here. It’s not 2 years since pollard try to put a spanner in the works. They don’t like the latics. Never have and never will. Latics fans. You might get the odd few that could watch both. But a true latics fan wont watch both. A part time sports fan might watch both.

Thanks for the generalisation mate. I have been a season ticket holder of both clubs during my lifetime and still consider my self a "true Latics fan". I have supported the football club since the early days in the Cheshire League and Northern Premier League whilst also attending rugby games on and of during this period.

Thanks for letting me know that my 60 years of support for the club is not appreciated.

By the way how long have you been attending and do you consider yourself a better fan than me? Please tell.

I would hope that the club have taken advice from franchise clubs that have set up in a new town; on how to built a fan base.
MK Dons fans seem to be very loyal and partisan, how has that loyalty been achieved?
Wasps Rugby moved from London and bought the Coventry City Stadium and appear to have built a fan base - I think they just gave away a load of free tickets (kids and adults)

Its not just the bums on seats at games, its the revenue from fans buying club merchandise as well. (I remember going to Villa on the train, every person was earing AVFC jackets, hats, shirts etc).

At school in Hindley, I am sure that I was the only WAFC fan in my year, from memory, others supported MUFC, Liverpool, Everton, some Bolton, one MCFC fan & one Spurs fan. Hindley will obviously disagree.