Season tickets | Page 7 | Vital Football

Season tickets

Apart from the web site not a lot of advertising of the season tickets. Like I said on other posts the place should be buzzing. And it’s not. Nothing coming out from the club at all. About signings. Or any thing. Some one said on face book. Chairman as gone very quiet. He is the one usually. Buzzing.no signs of any pens.

The lack of self promotion from Latics is a bit concerning now.
Surely our board can't just think we've won the league people will come?
I certainly hope they don't think last seasons squad with a few younger players included is good enough this season.
Hopefully they're waiting until pre season starts then a big promotional offensive will start.

If we averaged 10k last season I would think we would match the home tickets but I can see away being around 2k more on average which would give us about 12k....not too bad really and nothing to get too depressed about.

The hardcore support will always be there and it continues to grow slowly year on year. The problem we have is that prices have gone up a bit and Wiganers are tight bastards. No season tickets were cheap this time, more expensive than they ever were in the premier league.

Some have paid £400 to watch us next season and down the road a season ticket was just over £200 if you bought it early. Bolton have sold more this time because they’ve made it cheap and folk can afford what they are charging. It’s a risk doing it but if you get the numbers it pays off. They also expect to be up challenging at the top of the league next season.

I’m expecting us to go from being champions to being in a relegation battle. I do felt the club could have built on the positivity after winning the league and put some good offers out for season tickets but I understand that it was a risk if they didn’t sell the numbers they required. Hopefully we’ll have another great season and us folk that have paid to watch will get our moneys worth again.

Preston have sold 11.5k season tickets as of the expiry date of their early bird offer. That's eleven and a half thousand! We have sold just over 6k (allegedly). Now I'm not going to pretend that PNE aren't a bigger club than us, but no way in hell should they be pulling almost double our numbers on season tickets.

That's a damning reflection on our supporters and the job the club have done it terms of marketing them. Yes it's going to be a relegation battle next year. But you can guarantee that our home form will probably determine our fate, plenty of local games and also some big clubs coming up as always like Sunderland and Sheffield Utd. It's just a really poor effort.

Yet we've gone out and employed someone to run our marketing department from the only North West EFL club of the "big six" to have done a shitter job than us when it comes to marketing over the past few years. Sense makes none.

I wonder if @Mike93 bought one.

I have no time at all for the haters from both sides. That's why I had a problem with the fighting fund " possibly " going to rugby fans that hate us. But, these people are a minority although those that hate do tend to be the most vocal....so ineffect decent rugby fans will be put off by the bile directed towards all things rugby, much like decent Latics would be put off attending rugby games for the very same reason. Both clubs attendances are possibly down because of shite put about by a minority with an agenda of hate.

Anybody who takes part in this behaviour need ever ask again why Wigan folk don't attend their games......however unlikely it is they might entertain the notion they could run into this boreish minority and have problems.

It won't happen, it never does. I have attended both and have never seen any incidents.

I have no time at all for the haters from both sides. That's why I had a problem with the fighting fund " possibly " going to rugby fans that hate us. But, these people are a minority although those that hate do tend to be the most vocal....so ineffect decent rugby fans will be put off by the bile directed towards all things rugby, much like decent Latics would be put off attending rugby games for the very same reason. Both clubs attendances are possibly down because of shite put about by a minority with an agenda of hate.

Anybody who takes part in this behaviour need ever ask again why Wigan folk don't attend their games......however unlikely it is they might entertain the notion they could run into this boreish minority and have problems.

It won't happen, it never does. I have attended both and have never seen any incidents.

Agreed the rivalry does nothing but negatively impact both clubs potential attendances.

Massively counter productive on all fronts.

The hardcore support will always be there and it continues to grow slowly year on year. The problem we have is that prices have gone up a bit and Wiganers are tight bastards. No season tickets were cheap this time, more expensive than they ever were in the premier league.

Some have paid £400 to watch us next season and down the road a season ticket was just over £200 if you bought it early. Bolton have sold more this time because they’ve made it cheap and folk can afford what they are charging. It’s a risk doing it but if you get the numbers it pays off. They also expect to be up challenging at the top of the league next season.

I’m expecting us to go from being champions to being in a relegation battle. I do felt the club could have built on the positivity after winning the league and put some good offers out for season tickets but I understand that it was a risk if they didn’t sell the numbers they required. Hopefully we’ll have another great season and us folk that have paid to watch will get our moneys worth again.

Thing is over the years we had seasons we tried super cheap season tickets like other clubs are now, in the hope we would sell a lot more at the cheaper price and it didn't work well enough to justify continuing to do it.

We literally offered free tickets against Sunderland and still couldn't get a sell out.

The attendance issue has never been caused by prices it's a lack of interest. I think you could let every game be free admissions and we probably wouldn't see a massive increase in home attendances.

There are lot's of potential reasons why we have so few fans: the proximity to 4 massive clubs in City, United, Liverpool and Everton plus so many other clubs in north west meaning our catchment area is very limited and glory hunters are spoiled for local choice. The bitter rugby rivalry splitting the town's support and maybe even some folks from St Helens, Warrington, Widnes etc not wanting to support a Wigan club even in football due to the rugby rivalry.

Not just that but the majority of other clubs on our doorstep have been around a lot longer than us, especially as league clubs so have so many more generations of fans growing the fan base compared to us. Which is why I think targeting the young football fans in Wigan and the surrounding areas who aren't Latics fans is our best way to go.

I would also target trying to dissolve the hatred with Warrior's, some folks won't want to let it go and it will take time but you've got to start somewhere as their fan base is potentially a largely untapped market who may not feel welcome attending Latics games.

Thing is it will never change and that is from both sides

Things can always change it's just a case of people being willing to try. In anything some people will be desperate to hold on to old grudges but they can't stop the rest of us moving on if we choose to.

Thing is over the years we had seasons we tried super cheap season tickets like other clubs are now, in the hope we would sell a lot more at the cheaper price and it didn't work well enough to justify continuing to do it.

We literally offered free tickets against Sunderland and still couldn't get a sell out.

The attendance issue has never been caused by prices it's a lack of interest. I think you could let every game be free admissions and we probably wouldn't see a massive increase in home attendances.

There are lot's of potential reasons why we have so few fans: the proximity to 4 massive clubs in City, United, Liverpool and Everton plus so many other clubs in north west meaning our catchment area is very limited and glory hunters are spoiled for local choice. The bitter rugby rivalry splitting the town's support and maybe even some folks from St Helens, Warrington, Widnes etc not wanting to support a Wigan club even in football due to the rugby rivalry.

Not just that but the majority of other clubs on our doorstep have been around a lot longer than us, especially as league clubs so have so many more generations of fans growing the fan base compared to us. Which is why I think targeting the young football fans in Wigan and the surrounding areas who aren't Latics fans is our best way to go.

I would also target trying to dissolve the hatred with Warrior's, some folks won't want to let it go and it will take time but you've got to start somewhere as their fan base is potentially a largely untapped market who may not feel welcome attending Latics games.
Never going to happen dissolve the hatred
When we where in the prem our crowds where ok close to 25k and rugby are struggling to get fans in let alone us
We need to attract folk from st helens ,warrington and other close areas

Things can always change it's just a case of people being willing to try. In anything some people will be desperate to hold on to old grudges but they can't stop the rest of us moving on if we choose to.
People have been trying for years but it will never happen its deep rooted the hatred

Sad to say but there are more of us that hold grudges than there are more willing to move on
And that is from both sets of fans

Sad to say but there are more of us that hold grudges than there are more willing to move on
And that is from both sets of fans

It doesn't do either side any good and is likely detrimental to potentially attracting new fans. So I see it as a lose, lose situation and in both sides interests to put it in the past.

Of the thousands of Warrior's and Latic's fans I imagine very few genuinely hate the other but many will just accept the rivalry and even take part because it's established as part of their fan base's identity.

Some folks wont want to leave it behind and that's their prerogative but I think the majority of fans on either side wouldn't be against moving on.

It doesn't do either side any good and is likely detrimental to potentially attracting new fans. So I see it as a lose, lose situation and in both sides interests to put it in the past.

Of the thousands of Warrior's and Latic's fans I imagine very few genuinely hate the other but many will just accept the rivalry and even take part because it's established as part of their fan base's identity.

Some folks wont want to leave it behind and that's their prerogative but I think the majority of fans on either side wouldn't be against moving on.
Would you forgive a man for attempting to kill you?

Another question whilst I have your attention, do you live in Wigan now and/or have you ever lived in Wigan?

Would you forgive a man for attempting to kill you?

Another question whilst I have your attention, do you live in Wigan now and/or have you ever lived in Wigan?

I wouldn't forgive an individual if they attempted to kill me, but i wouldn't hold anyone other than the individual responsible for their actions. I've heard some people say Dave Whelan destroyed Orrell when he Latics chairman, but that doesn't make the club or any of us fans responsible for that. If Orrell fans hated Latics for what they feel Whelan did to them that wouldn't be reasonable - so same principle works both ways. I'm not going to hate or blame a whole club and fan base for the actions of individuals in their hierachy.

I live close to but not in Wigan. But it doesn't change the fact that the rivalry doesn't help either side in attracting more fans.

The point isn't to remove the divide to be nice for the sake of being nice, it's to make the thousands of Warriors fans who also watch football to feel like they can support Latics and it's not a case of picking a side. We need as many fans as we can get, anything that puts off any potential fans is something we should try and remove for our own benefit.

Last edited:
I wouldn't forgive an individual if they attempted to kill me, but i wouldn't hold anyone other than the individual responsible for their actions. I've heard some people say Dave Whelan destroyed Orrell when he Latics chairman, but that doesn't make the club or any of us fans responsible for that. If Orrell fans hated Latics for what they feel Whelan did to them that wouldn't be reasonable - so same principle works both ways. I'm not going to hate or blame a whole club and fan base for the actions of individuals in their hierachy.

I live close to but not in Wigan. But it doesn't change the fact that the rivalry doesn't help either side in attracting more fans.

The point isn't to remove the divide to be nice for the sake of being nice, it's to make the thousands of Warriors fans who also watch football to feel like they can support Latics and it's not a case of picking a side. We need as many fans as we can get, anything that puts off any potential fans is something we should try and remove for our own benefit.
Like I say it's deep rooted and is passed on father to son and daughter
Maybe you should join the cherry and White forum
And mention on their forum what you are saying on here
Would be very interesting to see the response you would get from them

I've tried many times to move on & let bygones be bygones. However, whilst I will admit we have fans that have an absolute hatred towards the rugby, I truly believe their fans hold the bigger grudge & hatred.