Season review | Vital Football

Season review

So ... at times we were poor, and at other times we were good. Whodathowt?

Good read. 👏

Reactions: GSM
Having time on my hands I put this lot together showing how we did against other teams in blocks as to where we all finished in the final table. Either 4 groups of 6 or 3 groups of eight.

Our points are as earned on the pitch ignoring the deduction and in any event added back or not wouldn’t alter our position in either the ‘nearly men’ of the ‘middle eight’

Away stats are the real eye opener, other than the top bracket we were almost identically poor against the rest.

1714490467936.png
1714490535334.png

1714490593453.png

Having time on my hands I put this lot together showing how we did against other teams in blocks as to where we all finished in the final table. Either 4 groups of 6 or 3 groups of eight.

Our points are as earned on the pitch ignoring the deduction and in any event added back or not wouldn’t alter our position in either the ‘nearly men’ of the ‘middle eight’

Away stats are the real eye opener, other than the top bracket we were almost identically poor against the rest.

View attachment 72954
View attachment 72955

View attachment 72956

Good work.

Interesting to see it laid out like that.

View attachment 72954
View attachment 72955

View attachment 72956

If I am reading this right Zeb then the points accumulated against the bottom eight as opposed to the top eight differed by 6 points, or two wins.

Which seems to go against what the majority of us thought was happening. It would suggest that we were almost equally as good against the bottom teams as we were against the top in terms of results.

It would also seem that the teams we struggled against were the ones around us in mid table. We also scored more and conceded less against the bottom eight teams which is not the way that it seemed watching the games over the season.

Seeing this it sort of makes a myth of the fact that we raised our game against the top teams and struggled against those in the bottom eight, in terms of points gained, although it must be conceded that in terms of performance there was a vast difference.

Really interesting stats and well done for producing them.

If I am reading this right Zeb then the points accumulated against the bottom eight as opposed to the top eight differed by 6 points, or two wins.

Which seems to go against what the majority of us thought was happening. It would suggest that we were almost equally as good against the bottom teams as we were against the top in terms of results.

It would also seem that the teams we struggled against were the ones around us in mid table. We also scored more and conceded less against the bottom eight teams which is not the way that it seemed watching the games over the season.

Seeing this it sort of makes a myth of the fact that we raised our game against the top teams and struggled against those in the bottom eight, in terms of points gained, although it must be conceded that in terms of performance there was a vast difference.

I think TB the view that we struggled badly against the poorer teams is definitely valid in terms of AWAY performances specifically …at HOME we either beat them or drew with them.

You are right though in that we didn’t fare especially well against the teams around us.

View attachment 72954
View attachment 72955

View attachment 72956

Down to match mentality from both coaching & playing staff!

Up for the fight against the bigger boys away but complacent against the minnows of the league thinking we only had to turn up?

We had 9 wins out of 16 (56% win ratio) against the top 8 and toughest opponents. Compared to 11 wins out of 30 (37% win ratio) against the rest where the league which is drastically weaker. So i think it shows just how much we raised our game / tailed off depending on opponents.

As Zeb says it's even more apparent away when it's 5 wins from the top 8 (62% win ratio) compared to 2 wins against the other 15 (14% ratio).

No one in the whole league has a better away record than us against the top 8 but i believe only Carlisle have a worse away record than us against everyone else.

Last edited:
This analysis is interesting and thought provoking.
Thanks to all those calculator gurus. The following is not intended to denigrate your excellent work. The analysis is valid.

However, a league table is not absolute, so a top team, when we play them may end up as a mid table by the end of the season. Some of the conclusions identified in posts above are flawed, as they are based on final league positions.

Someone with too much time on their hands would need to map our game results with the league position of the opponent's at the time of the match for an accurate analysis.

Although, we all recognise, and the analysis done in other posts, supports the fact that we did not do well against teams that parked the bus and competed with teams that tried to match us.
eg the Carlisle game of 2 halves

Then you also have the outliers such as: Humphreys missing 2 penalties,
Players getting red cards and affecting results
Easing off after getting back the -8 points

Rather more outliers than are acceptable, I think. "Football, bloody hell", to quote someone famous.

This analysis is interesting and thought provoking.
Thanks to all those calculator gurus. The following is not intended to denigrate your excellent work. The analysis is valid.

However, a league table is not absolute, so a top team, when we play them may end up as a mid table by the end of the season. Some of the conclusions identified in posts above are flawed, as they are based on final league positions.

Someone with too much time on their hands would need to map our game results with the league position of the opponent's at the time of the match for an accurate analysis.

Although, we all recognise, and the analysis done in other posts, supports the fact that we did not do well against teams that parked the bus and competed with teams that tried to match us.
eg the Carlisle game of 2 halves

Then you also have the outliers such as: Humphreys missing 2 penalties,
Players getting red cards and affecting results
Easing off after getting back the -8 points

Rather more outliers than are acceptable, I think. "Football, bloody hell", to quote someone famous.

Out of the final top 8 with the exception of Stevenage who slipped out, it's largely been as it finished in different a order all season with one or two other sides only briefly breaking in. I think Exeter were in there at the start for a few weeks and Orient had a few weeks mid season but that was about it.

When we played Blackpool away and Lincoln at home i dont think they were top 8 at the time (and funnily enough they were poor performances) but the other 14 games they would've been.

We had 9 wins out of 16 (56% win ratio) against the top 8 and toughest opponents. Compared to 11 wins out of 30 (37% win ratio) against the rest where the league which is drastically weaker. So i think it shows just how much we raised our game / tailed off depending on opponents.

As Zeb says it's even more apparent away when it's 5 wins from the top 8 (62% win ratio) compared to 2 wins against the other 15 (14% ratio).

No one in the whole league has a better away record than us against the top 8 but i believe only Carlisle have a worse away record than us against everyone else.

To be entirely honest KDZ, that is how I saw it during the season, but when you look at the stats that Zeb has produced it seems to tell a different story.

As I said we actually accumulated 6 less points from games against the bottom eight than we did against the top eight. The discrepancy is the number of games won as opposed to the number we drew. Had we turned one or two of those draws into wins the optics would have been different.

Our away form was abysmal against the bottom 8 but excellent against the top eight, it could be mooted that we went into the games against the lower teams expecting the win and were caught out by being over confident, but that could also be levelled at the top eight teams we beat on their patch, that they also suffered from going into the game with high expectations and lost due to their over confidence.

In my view, reading the stats that have been posted, our weakest form is shown in the figures produced against the mid table sides, the sides around us, were we only accumulated 18 points ( 5 wins,3 draws) from 14 games. It is these numbers that skew the percentages that you quote.

What the figures do show that is indisputable is that our away form has to be improved next season.

To be entirely honest KDZ, that is how I saw it during the season, but when you look at the stats that Zeb has produced it seems to tell a different story.

As I said we actually accumulated 6 less points from games against the bottom eight than we did against the top eight. The discrepancy is the number of games won as opposed to the number we drew. Had we turned one or two of those draws into wins the optics would have been different.

Our away form was abysmal against the bottom 8 but excellent against the top eight, it could be mooted that we went into the games against the lower teams expecting the win and were caught out by being over confident, but that could also be levelled at the top eight teams we beat on their patch, that they also suffered from going into the game with high expectations and lost due to their over confidence.

In my view, reading the stats that have been posted, our weakest form is shown in the figures produced against the mid table sides, the sides around us, were we only accumulated 18 points ( 5 wins,3 draws) from 14 games. It is these numbers that skew the percentages that you quote.

What the figures do show that is indisputable is that our away form has to be improved next season.

I don't think our performances against either the middle 7 or bottom 8 was where it should've be.

A quote from Maloney today:

"Obviously, when you look at the away form this year, that needs work.

"There's certain times of games we haven't found a way to win, and that's on me to find a solution for the team.

"So there's lots of work I can be getting on with in preparation for next year."

A quote from Maloney today:

"Obviously, when you look at the away form this year, that needs work.

"There's certain times of games we haven't found a way to win, and that's on me to find a solution for the team.
Have a look in the mirror the solution is right there, sounds like the clown is passing the blame on to the players for his incompetence! :clown:

Have a look in the mirror the solution is right there, sounds like the clown is passing the blame on to the players for his incompetence! :clown:

I don't think he is at all, he's saying 'we' not 'they' didn't find a way and specifically said 'that's on me'.

There have been plenty of valid critasisms of Maloney this season but he generally isn't a manager who tries to deflect blame onto the players.