Season 13/14 | Page 6 | Vital Football

Season 13/14

I haven't really bothered too much with this window for some reason. Having said that, I'd be very surprised (and extremely disappointed) if we signed Griffiths or Kermorgant.

I've been waiting with anticipation in this window but there's really not been much......not even many interesting rumours.....I think we try and keep 1 or 2 for the final days of the window to add a bit more excitement to it and get the Celtic name mentioned more by the media! Sky Sports always do a big thing on transfer deadline day and they always have someone waiting outside Celtic Park (because there's no point in being outside Ibrox) so we want to try and use that to our advantage commercially.

I agree though Tic, I'll be VERY disappointed if we look at signing either of the rumoured strikers......not what we need right now!

Hopefully there is far better news to come!

It has been confirmed that we have bid for Griffiths......no Celtic fans seem to be happy with this move.

Lennon's defence of signing such a player is the example of Scott McDonald.......I don't buy it, making a move for Griffiths stinks of desperation, we can't get anyone else or won't pay enough for them so we'll just sign an SPFL ability striker.....

I'll see your Scott McDonald and raise you a Daryll Murphy, which is a specter of mediocrity not fitting this club. Seriously, we're running away with the league and pounding in three or four goals with basically one player--Commons--who can score goals. I guess Griffiths is cover in case Commons gets hurt, but jeez, what a lame signing. It's a waste of pounds 1 million.

Well no offer has been accepted yet. Our first bid was rejected. As seems to be typical with us, we will have gone in with a silly low offer, they will have come back with a ridiculously overpriced figure.....then the fun begins where we try and knock them down to a reasonable price. Although somehow I get the feeling we would end up still paying more than we should for him.

I could list better players than Griffiths that we should still be able to sign:
Raul Jimenez
Deni Alar
Philipp Hossiner
Kim Shin-Wook
Tim Varynen (actually can't anymore as he's been signed to Borussia Dortmund and is in there 2nd team at the moment, we missed out there!)
and a new one I've found - Mateusz Zachara
Stefan Scepovic (a player I scouted before but he moved to Partizan Belgrade. Contract is up in the summer and currently on loan at Sporting Gijon in the Spanish 2nd division.....he's top scorer with 16 goals and 5 assists in 21 games)
Pablo Velazquez (26 y/o Paraguay international playing in Mexico, only been there 6 months but has scored 15 goals in 18 games)
Diafra Sakho (24 y/o striker playing in Ligue2 in France, top scorer with 12 goals in 20 games.

Is that really him? If so, it's yet another reason to avoid him. There are plenty of reports that he's a ned. I don't get this at all. It smacks of pound foolishness and has a vague whiff of Derek Riordan.

Who is excited about a striker that isn't even starting in the English third division? We keep hearing about being able to spend 5-6 million on the right player, so why are we bidding 400K on a guy with issues that is probably no better than anyone on the roster currently.

Maybe he's just cover (which would make sense for a fee below a million), but I can't see this move making a difference going forward. Griffiths is not going to score the goals we will need in the CL next year.

If this is all we can get, save it for the summer and play Pukki, Balde, and the new Icelandic kid and see what we have and then spend some money in the summer.

Actually, he does start for Wolves and leads the club on goals and the fee is more than pounds 1 million. But i'm just correcting numbers for the record. It's a stupid signing. It's low impact, near-sighted and tight fisted. he is only 23, so maybe Lenny thinks they can get some more out of him. But i'm with you, matt. let's give Balde and Pukki some time.

No Celtic fans seem happy with Griffiths.....Lennon reckons he can get even better with the better players around him and is at the right age that we can get more out of him and as for his off-field antics, Lennon says he is more interested on what he does on the pitch and believes he can be tamed (maybe feels he is at the right age to grow up).

Elsewhere......t seems we had a bid rejected for Dorin Rotariu, an 18 year old Romania U21 international who plays for Dinamo Bukarest. Whether we go back in for him remains to be seen but I've watched a video and I like what I see. Skillful, strong, tall, quick and an eye for goal; he plays LW or CAM or RW. His stats aren't outstanding but Man Utd have also been watching him.....

We are also set to battle it out with Norwich and Stoke for 17 y/o Hartlepool CM Brad Walker. Hartlepool are struggling and if the right offer goes in, they may be forced to sell. They have a 19 y/o striker, Luke James, who is being looked at by Leicester after scoring 11 goals this season in the bottom tier. Worth a look as well? I'd say so!

A second bid has been rejected by Wolves!!! Here's hoping they keep on holding out for more money than we're willing to pay! Would seriously rather go without a striker this window than land this wee ned.

In other news, our defensive target Rhys Williams was stretchered off for Middlesbrough last night with his right leg in a brace.....looks as though he won'tbe going anywhere until the summer. So who else do we look at? Not much time to get a deal done if we haven't started negotiations already. Or do we just bring the likes of Marcus Fraser and Joe Chalmers back in to the team as back-up if required?

Robert Snodgrass had a bust up with the Norwich fans last night as well. He is keen on a move to us but the £8m price tag has put us off. Snodgrass took a corner and was sarcastically applauded by the Norwich fans, who he then told to "fuck off" before the fans then chanted for Nathan Redmond to be brought on to replace Snodrass.

Rumours suggesting Stoke have enquired about Scott Brown..........no idea how true it is, no idea what response was given.

I can imagine though, not for sale unless you're willing to pay £10m+ and Scott wouldn't be keen to leave anyway.

I think Marcus Fraser did well when he played. Whatever happened to Mouyokolo? Injured? I also think Muldini is better in central defense and is enough cover for the rest of the season.

As for a striker, sounds like Snodgrass and Griffiths are both neds. At least Snoddy is good. But perhaps we should keep pushing Balde and Pukki to come good rather than buy someone else's problems.

I would pretty much agree with all of that welch! Fraser suffered a nasty injury and made his first appearance in around a year when he played in Turkey. Moyoukolo is injured but is making good progress. I agree about Mulgrew but clearly Lennon doesn't want to use him there.

Izzy was apparently subject to an enquiry from Everton but I think they were basicaly told to take a running jump! Lennon said he is our only LB so wouldn't sell. Besides they only want him as back-up because Oviedo is injured but Baines has just signed a new deal and he's not going to get a game over Baines.

Remember with strikers, we also have the Fridj who joined us this window and Bangura is actually at the club although he has no future here.

Wolves have agreed a fee with Coventry to buy striker Leon Clarke......possibly leaving the way clear for Griffiths to move as well.....

It had been mentioned that Wolves were perhaps looking to strengthen up front anyway and so this may not make any difference in the end. It was also mentioned that Griffiths leaving could free up the funds needed to get Clarke.....

Just need to wait and see!

The Fridj is too young. Pukki and Balde are making progress so there is no need to rush him.

Bangura is a complete johnson. I hear he is swabbing the shitter at Lennoxtown. :emoticon:11

We should at least get the Fridj some games before the end of the season. We might need him next season in the league! I'm not suggesting we rush him, but got to get him in the team! We could also have Watt back for next season if he sorts his head out!

I think the chances of us getting Griffiths are starting to slim! (Hopefully)

It seems Swansea have been doing a lot of scouting up in Scotland this season and are chasing talented young Falkirk LB Stephen Kingsley.....so now we're looking at him too!

Crystal Palace are trying to sign Ledley before the end of the window........

Samaras is wanted for £800k by Trabzonspor.....

Griffiths deal looks like it will happen. Offer accepted and he is already at Celtic Park for talks and a medical.

Palace have had a bid for Ledley accepted.

McGeouch has joined Coventry on loan.

We have made a bid for another player but nobody knows who at the moment.

Latest Celtic News