Sean Clare | Vital Football

Sean Clare

Hardy31

Vital Squad Member
Mentioned on the KoL that he is available - and yes he is a free agent after refusing Sheff W's contract.
I'm sure we could fork out for him.

Sorry Martin, that has gone over my head, is there no way we could sign him bypassing the compensation, as I understand both Leeds and Aston Villa are sniffing him.

Last edited:
Yep, whoever signs him will almost certainly have to pay £100,000+ in compo - and it could be a fair bit more than that.

Seems a lot for a player who is injured and, as we all know, struggled to even get on the bench for Wednesday when fit...:fish:

Doesn’t compensation only apply if he was offered an improved deal? I suspect they did offer him an improved deal but has this ever been confirmed?

If fit, we’d be way down the pecking order anyway.

Seems a lot for a player who is injured and, as we all know, struggled to even get on the bench for Wednesday when fit...:fish:

Doesn’t compensation only apply if he was offered an improved deal? I suspect they did offer him an improved deal but has this ever been confirmed?

If fit, we’d be way down the pecking order anyway.

Only have to offer him a new contract of equal or better terms to allow for them to claim for compensation under Bosman rule.

Is there a time limit does anyone know? If he didn’t play for a year (or two) due to injury, then signed for a conference team, would they have to pay?

Unrealistic circumstances I know, but curious.

Sheffield Wednesday hold his registration so until someone agrees a compensation fee with them they will not transfer his registration to another club. Until he turns 24, Sheffield Wednesday will be able to demand a fee, after he turns 24 he will become a free agent and will hold his registration and can move where he likes, without a compensation fee being paid.

However, it is likely that Sheffield Wednesday will either come to a sensible agreement on a fee with a club, or more likely a club will take Clare on and go to tribunal to determine a fee, although most tribunals are binding now, so a club could end up paying more than Sheffield Wednesday are demanding if the tribunal decide so, unlikely but it could happen.

Aye, but considering he has only played one game since his return from us and Leeds head the Championship, with Sheff W in third spot, I can't see them letting him go to Leeds if they think he is worth anything, even £100,000.

strange situation. SW did not deem him good enough to play him. He maybe believes he is good enough to play but is not prepared to stay and prove it. Nobody either wants him or is prepared to pay for him.

Maybe simply he is not as good as he and some members of this board think, or is there any other reason?

strange situation. SW did not deem him good enough to play him. He maybe believes he is good enough to play but is not prepared to stay and prove it. Nobody either wants him or is prepared to pay for him.

Maybe simply he is not as good as he and some members of this board think, or is there any other reason?
He’s injured, which is why he didn’t sign for anyone in the transfer window.

Good for him, best of luck. Besides, our recruiting need is currently in positions other than attacking midfielder (notwithstanding that he had a decent stand-in spell playing at right back ).