Scully Moves To Wigan | Page 2 | Vital Football

Scully Moves To Wigan

One of my favourite players in recent years. Some may call him one trick pony but plenty of quality in this lad. Enough to score 15 goals each season. If he was quicker it could be a PL.move tonight. Very best of luck and thanks for great memories .

Without him we are in for an even longer and harder season now....

This does, obviously, confirm that the club holds to its stated model - to develop players so that they can achieve greater things. Great integrity here - which will not go unnoticed by potential recruits and can only add to our reputation with other clubs and players.

Come on you Imps!!!!!!©

Really? I must've missed the season Scully scored 26...

Give the lad a chance before you start digging him out eh
Not digging anybody out. Just can't see why player who didn't score many in the league below all of the sudden will be moving mountains here. But hopefully he will...
Someone needs to scoring goals now once our best scorer is gone and we have not very prolific (to say the least) centre forwards.
Maybe I'm just too disappointed with this deadline day news. Just hoped for more. Especially after we let Kendall go out on loan I expected some goal scoring forward coming in.
We will see soon if we are really that well stocked up front ..

One of my favourite players in recent years. Some may call him one trick pony but plenty of quality in this lad. Enough to score 15 goals each season. If he was quicker it could be a PL.move tonight. Very best of luck and thanks for great memories .

Without him we are in for an even longer and harder season now....

That's the model though isn't it? Get a player on the cheap, develop them, make a profit when they move on.
Been a fantastic player for us, but hopefully the next one is on the production line.

I am grateful to the 2 good seasons that Scully gave us. I am grateful to the club for providing whatever means (contacts + scouting + investment) that enabled us to take an initial gamble on yet another PL reject and mould him into a solid upper-level EFL player.

The timing hurts. But here we go yet again as Lincoln fans with a step into the unknown. As one door closes another one opens. Younger fans will probably need to adjust to post-[INSERT PLAYER NAME HERE] life. Most of us are already used to it.

Not digging anybody out. Just can't see why player who didn't score many in the league below all of the sudden will be moving mountains here. But hopefully he will...
Someone needs to scoring goals now once our best scorer is gone and we have not very prolific (to say the least) centre forwards.
Maybe I'm just too disappointed with this deadline day news. Just hoped for more. Especially after we let Kendall go out on loan I expected some goal scoring forward coming in.
We will see soon if we are really that well stocked up front ..

Yeah I get that. To my mind it was nailed on Scully would be going during this window and Vernam feels like his direct replacement. I suppose you could say Vernam's at least more experienced than Scully was when he arrived!

I don't really have any concerns with the cover we have out wide, so in that sense I don't see Scully leaving as a catastrophe - I think we've got enough to be competitive once everyone is fully fit and available. I do have a slight nagging worry about goals though, because its undoubtedly a big chunk to replace. My ideal outcome would have been another Hopper type, but in all seriousness we're not going to get someone who is as effective in so many areas as Tom to come and sit on the bench.

Hopefully this season we'll have the luck with injuries that's eluded us for the past few seasons, and given the options we've got we'll have a genuine plan B (lumping it up to Garrick, Diamond et al is unlikely to work)

As for Anthony, he's been an excellent player for us, and he'll be missed. This is proof of the model in action though, and as long as its a) a decent fee that we get paid before Wigan go bust again, and b) we stay in this league (which I have no reason to doubt at this point), it'll be the right decision.

You seem to be writing him off already...
I'm not. Barely seen him so it would be silly. Just worrying where these 15 goals that just gone to Wigan will now come from.

Looking at his stats from L2 not expecting CV to be able to score as many but I would love to be wrong...

Expected more from today.

We have only Hopper (warrior and fighter that I like) up front who isn't goalscoring forward. As a back up I guess we'll now have Been House and God knows what to expect from him.

Three wingers with Garrick,CV, and Diamond. Pace finally is there, good. We'll see about quality and end product in numbers which give you points....

Big unknown in Mandroiu. (He might be good but only played in mickey mouse league so far).

Worrying where the quality and goals to keep us up will now come from.

So far we couldn't create and score enough to win more than one league game.. Mind you in that game we have won because Scully scored and assisted...

Hope my worries will disappear soon but as it stands I'm very disappointed with today (yesterday even😊)....

It’s not really that hard to follow. I’ve no doubt this deal has been signed sealed and delivered for sometime. It’s not in the clubs best interests to seal a deal for between £750 - £1m (I’ve no idea by the way) and go early with it to the footballing world. Had we done this, every other team, and there will have been many would have dragged their heels in negotiations for the players that have signed in the window, due to thinking the club has money to spend. It’s hard enough for LCFC to attract players to the bright lights and big city feel of Lincoln without making negotiations more difficult. Scully, cheers man, it’s been a blast!

Yeah I get that. To my mind it was nailed on Scully would be going during this window and Vernam feels like his direct replacement. I suppose you could say Vernam's at least more experienced than Scully was when he arrived!

I don't really have any concerns with the cover we have out wide, so in that sense I don't see Scully leaving as a catastrophe - I think we've got enough to be competitive once everyone is fully fit and available. I do have a slight nagging worry about goals though, because its undoubtedly a big chunk to replace. My ideal outcome would have been another Hopper type, but in all seriousness we're not going to get someone who is as effective in so many areas as Tom to come and sit on the bench.

Hopefully this season we'll have the luck with injuries that's eluded us for the past few seasons, and given the options we've got we'll have a genuine plan B (lumping it up to Garrick, Diamond et al is unlikely to work)

As for Anthony, he's been an excellent player for us, and he'll be missed. This is proof of the model in action though, and as long as its a) a decent fee that we get paid before Wigan go bust again, and b) we stay in this league (which I have no reason to doubt at this point), it'll be the right decision.
Understand the idea of ,,model'' but also I know we will need need plenty of goals and points to stay up. I don't even dare to dream about progressing as a club and be something more than relegation candidates right now ...
Also with all due respect, I do love Hopper for his attitude and character but he is very limited football player. He is not scoring goals and he is our main striker now. With no sensible back up on top of that. That doesn't encourage me ...

That's the model though isn't it? Get a player on the cheap, develop them, make a profit when they move on.
Been a fantastic player for us, but hopefully the next one is on the production line.
Hopefully...
As long as I get the idea of ,,model' I also know we will need goals and points to survive. With our CF being pretty far from prolific and no back up for him losing 15 goals or so from the team on the deadline day without bringing more forwards in is a massive gamble. ..

Understand the idea of ,,model'' but also I know we will need need plenty of goals and points to stay up. I don't even dare to dream about progressing as a club and be something more than relegation candidates right now ...
Also with all due respect, I do love Hopper for his attitude and character but he is very limited football player. He is not scoring goals and he is our main striker now. With no sensible back up on top of that. That doesn't encourage me ...

If Hopper was able to do all the things he does so well, and guarantee 15-20 goals a season, then he'd never have been in League 1. I know it seems backwards, but even though he's a centre forward he's there to bring others into the game around him to score the goals, rather than him doing that himself. Incidentally he's one in three in the league so far this season, so with a bit of luck he'll continue that until May..! That being said, I'd prefer if we had a backup for him.

Right now I don't see us being relegation candidates - yes, we might not set the league on fire but I'd like to think we've got enough to be more comfortable than last season, even bearing in mind the points we've lost at home so far. The playoff season was a freak; last season ended up lower than where I feel we should be. 10th to 15th would represent a decent season for me - a brief flirtation with the playoffs, and a decent cup run wouldn't go amiss either