Scully Moves To Wigan | Page 5 | Vital Football

Scully Moves To Wigan

Haven't read all posts, so apols if repeated. Sorry to see him go, but at the end of the day that's the model, and it appears to be working

Incredibly naïve if you really think Wigan sat on their hands until 10pm on deadline day to make a bid for a player! The groundwork will have been done waaayyy in advance, and we probably said to Scully that he can leave but he'd have to sit tight until towards the end of the window.

Even if Scully was a 3rd or 4th choice, a bid doesn't go in unless you know the player fancies a move and a deal is viable.

Scully has said in his interview (on their TV channel) that he got the call that the move was on (I assume after a fee was agreed between the 2 clubs at 6.30pm so had to get in the car straightaway to get over for the medical.

For all we know the budget this year was predicated on selling on one or two players. I suspect this is a deal we very much wanted.

very good player who will be missed but we for all we know we we have players who will step up.

if we have replaced his capability in the squad with the input of 3/4 players it takes to the pressure off a single player to stay on form and injury free.

I trust we have a sell on clause should he leave the bright lights of Wigan
Having slept on it, and just pure speculation on my part, I’m thinking we were relying on selling Scully . For example quotes that we already sourced the players to replace him . Not sure what would have happened if he hadn’t been sold , thinking that maybe we pushed the deal ourselves in the end, despite the “11th hour” quotes. And to be clear I don’t have a problem with that.

A good move for all parties I think.

We cash in and keep a future interest in a player who had a year left on his deal and deserves a crack at the Championship after being a 1 in 3 for us from wide left. Feels like an optimum time to sell.

Wigan get a player who is proven in L1 and even if it doesn't work out for him there, he'll have L1 sides queuing up to sign him or Wigan have a L1 goal scorer if they get relegated.

Scully gets his move up a league and it's probably a Club where he'll play. He was never going to get a top Championship one anyway, it was always going to be a Wigan, Hull, Blackpool kinda size one. Boosts his international ambitions as well I suspect.

Another player off the conveyor belt to the Championship - Toffolo, Bramall, Edun, Grant, Scully and, albeit loan signings, Fiorini, BNC, Rogers and Johnson all then plied their trade in Championship after leaving us (going up a league is generally the natural progression of a loan player, but not always the case).

Having slept on it, and just pure speculation on my part, I’m thinking we were relying on selling Scully . For example quotes that we already sourced the players to replace him . Not sure what would have happened if he hadn’t been sold , thinking that maybe we pushed the deal ourselves in the end, despite the “11th hour” quotes. And to be clear I don’t have a problem with that.

yes we found an 11th hour buyer - sounded like we had a Lancashire based auction at the end which hopefully we benefitted from

Scully has said in his interview (on their TV channel) that he got the call that the move was on (I assume after a fee was agreed between the 2 clubs at 6.30pm so had to get in the car straightaway to get over for the medical.
Yeah just seen that myself, and "I knew of the interest at the end of the season when the Club went up, and in the last couple of weeks, it’s ramped up."

We cash in and keep a future interest in a player who had a year left on his deal and deserves a crack at the Championship.

Wigan get a player who is proven in L1 and even if it doesn't work out for him there, he'll have L1 sides queuing up to sign him or Wigan have a L1 goal scorer if they get relegated.

Scully gets his move up a league and it's probably a Club where he'll play. He was never going to get a top Championship one anyway, it was always going to be a Wigan, Hull, Blackpool kinda size one. Boosts his international ambitions as well I suspect.

Another player off to leave for the Championship- Toffolo, Bramall, Edun, Grant, Scully - have I missed anyone?

Albeit they were loan signings but Fiorini, BNC, Rogers and Johnson all then plied their trade in Championship after leaving us (going up a league is generally the natural progression of a loan player, but not always the case).

The only concern now is that Wigan hand over the transfer fee asap. For a club recently struggling to pay their player wage bill it appears to be a remarkable turn around in financial fortunes to now be buying more players.

Oh and good luck to Anthony, I hope he flourishes in the Championship.

We cash in and keep a future interest in a player who had a year left on his deal and deserves a crack at the Championship after being a 1 in 3 for us from wide left. Feels like an optimum time to sell.

Another player off the conveyor belt to the Championship - Toffolo, Bramall, Edun, Grant, Scully and, albeit loan signings, Fiorini, BNC, Rogers and Johnson all then plied their trade in Championship after leaving us (going up a league is generally the natural progression of a loan player, but not always the case).

It’s a good point about him going somewhere he’s likely to get game time. I wonder what our sell on is in the deal? If he parts game time, adapts, bangs in goals he could get a decent move to a top end championship club and we benefit even further from the sell on.

Going to leave a huge huge hole in the side now and that’s before you add in the goals. Just got to hope the new boys can step up to the mark.
I'm not so sure about that, Diamond looks to have a similar skill set to Scully but with added pace. He is the direct Scully replacement, which I think is why Scully was retained until that deal had been done. I wonder whether we have a permanent deal in principle agreed with Sunderland for him, given that they have Premier League ambitions (i.e. pretensions) already?

Undisclosed fees really frustrate me. Why is it all such a secret?
Undisclosed fees are now the norm. It's because the fee isn't set in stone and there are any number of clauses and add-ons that might change the amount paid. For example when we signed John Akinde I believe that we paid half the reported fee up front, but that the remaining half was split into various different payments triggered by things like: number of appearances; number of goals; securing promotion; and securing the title (& at least three of those 4 would have been achieved/activated).

In the case of Scully it is highly likely that there will be something similar with Wigan paying £X up front and then so much if he makes so many starts, scores so many goals, if they avoid relegation etc. Also worth noting that the fee will be lower if we have a sell on clause in the deal compared to if we don't.

There are also lots of cases where the transfer fee is paid in instalments throughout the duration of the contract signed and so if that player was to subsequently be sold before the end of the contract, that too might change the amount that would have been paid. Clubs/media did for a while use the phrase 'sold for an undisclosed fee of up to £500,000' (just an example), but even that seems to have stopped now.

In reality how much a club have actually paid for a player is now unlikely to be known until the end of his contract or given the transient nature of the players these days, when they are subsequently moved on.

Just need a keeper and target man upfront and the names mentioned above would make a formidable team itself!!

I think it was clear that several clubs had expressed an interest in Scully long before the deadline. Sorry to see him go, but........
He scored some great goals for us, but lacked pace and sometimes a poor first touch. I know this will annoy a lot of people, but having watched the game on Tuesday night on iFollow, I thought that Diamond showed as much if not more potential than Scully, and his work rate was certainly better. Buying and selling (or loaning) players at this level of football is inevitable, they come and they go, they move up and they go down, but let's not get into 'Who's going to score fifteen goals this season?', because if five of them score three apiece, that will do for me. UTI.

Bbc has wigan down as 3-5-2, Maclean leftwingback. although with Lang in midfield.
where does scully fit into that formation?