Scally 14 page letter | Vital Football

Scally 14 page letter

I'm looking forward to "The Lost Year" DVD that will surely be available in the Megastore soon?

What he needs is someone to edit such letters before he allows them into the public domain. While I'm certain he has the best interests of the club at heart, he has an absolute knack of riling people with the way he says things.

A few interesting points in it :

We have 1650 season ticket holders - not sure that's ever been made public before. I thought it would have been higher to be fair

He's getting fed up with people (that's you Steve) mentioning the lowest budget

He's monitoring social media and forums (I wonder if this is one - whatever happened to Durham ?)

If you don't toe the party line then you risk getting banned.

He will be writing to season ticket holders soon.

Anything else - will admit I only skimmed it - 14 pages is some going.

I did like the “it gets mentioned we have the lowest budget in league 1. I neither know nor care if this is true”

Other than that there is a lot of words but bugger all substance.

Oh, and the tribunal hasn’t been settled for BH yet. They offered 50k. I think we should’ve taken it tbf...........

I started reading it last week an d just finished reading it. Starting to wonder whether AK is really PS!?!

Nice update but wish he’d give it a rest when it comes to abuse on social media. I thought he came across as a little naïve if he thinks that he’s going to be able to take action against morons who stay stupid stuff about the club. He’s best advised to continue to ignore these people and focus on running the business. If he becomes the first person in the world to work out how to control these people on social media, then he should patent the solution and sell it - because it’ll make him a billionaire over night!

malaise stark is the financial state of the club finances. Sounded dire. I think we’re all agreed that PS has always run a tight ship and fiscally prudent. Imagine the shit that other clubs are in!

I did like the “it gets mentioned we have the lowest budget in league 1. I neither know nor care if this is true”

Other than that there is a lot of words but bugger all substance.

Oh, and the tribunal hasn’t been settled for BH yet. They offered 50k. I think we should’ve taken it tbf...........

I value Hanlan at £5m - but would settle for £2m.

read it through. Interesting and nothing to negatively comment on.

However PS mentions he may have struggled with his Mental health due to some peoples negativity. The surest way to improve his mental health would be to ignore his battle with individuals and social media. Spending resources to search out, name and shame and then ban individuals is negative and counter productive.

Do not see anything overly negative like this on our site but do not look at any other (inferior) media.

Some interesting stuff in there - the new clubs you have to earn membership of, Hanlan tribunal, the permanent closure of the shop and a new online ticketing system - plus some spending on facilities. The dig at the PFA is vaguely interesting (I think he meant 'scuppered' when he wrote 'scampered' at the top of p9!).

At least Scally's trying to communicate. He's attempted a cri de coeur, but unfortunately, it's too much about him. It would have been good to have had a sense of the overall financial picture (how much have we lost in total this year?), but he is looking at the season ticket situation, so that's good.

Moaning about the negative idiots on social media is a big mistake - they want a reaction. It's very Trumpian. The proposition is that Scally IS the club - you're either with him or you're not. But it is possible to be a Gills fan and not like the Chairman (I stress I'm not in that category).

Finally the sentences are longer and more labyrinthine than ever! I'll give him 6/10 for the attempt.

Some worrying comments there regatding the possible banning of supporters who disagree with Scally.

He's right to defend himself and the club. But it's worrying to think that loyal supporters of the club could be banned for disagreeing with the Chairman.

Think that he needs to give that a rethink. Quite right to protect the club and those associated with it from abuse but the fans' views are important and it's not right to try and silence those who have genuine concerns.

Hopefully he'll not ban me for these comments. Just in case: Paul Scally, I appreciate much you have done for our club!

I'll not comment in full until I have digested this, but at first glance it looks like:

I hate the PFS (for looking after there members)

If you do not agree fully with my view, you are the enemy within

I'm going to give you something(some sort of club membership) but it will cost you.

Going back to reading it, but it's hard work.

Do not see anything overly negative like this on our site but do not look at any other (inferior) media.

I can only assume he means the infamous Facebook site I’ve heard so much about. Populated by Scally haters aplenty apparently. Anything he does is wrong. The Kent online comments section has a few regular knobbers too.
In comparison I think we would be classed as saints compared to some other sites. And at least we are capable of having a discussion without resorting to abuse..... well sometimes anyway..........

. The proposition is that Scally IS the club - you're either with him or you're not. But it is possible to be a Gills fan and not like the Chairman

That's spot on. Almost North Korean like.

I'd like to like Scally I really would. I've had the pleasure of his company and he was a great host (even if he didn't offer us a cuppa !), he does greatly care about the club but all of his communications, this one included, always have an aggressive tone. Just counter productive and unnecessary.

Rotherhithe summed it up in saying could be worse. That's my view we could have someone worse but its a real shame that he can't take less of an aggressive stance with the clubs supporters.

I guess next years ST brochure will be out soon then

Last edited:
It matters not one jot what we value him at Trashy, if the tribunal look at how he’s performed and base a value on that, we’ll end up owing rovers cash!

I was taking the piss with my valuation. But he’s definitely worth more than £50k!

Not sure it needed 14 pages but agree with Mark there is nearly always an aggressive undertone to most of these 'communications'. Most of the ticketing, entry systems and supporters clubs stuff we've been hearing on and off over the years.

Just wish he'd stop looking for arguments with people who have a different opinion to him. As a club it appears we're not in a position to pick and choose who's money we need.

He clearly cares about the club but he also wants to be loved for it, which is never going to happen.

I believe that the statement I have just read is counter productive.There were a few possible positive things but most were only hints of what might happen. From my view this fails to bring in more support and continues to alienate still further those who disagree with him over almost everything.When will the chairman understand that by attacking a percentage of support there is a bigger percentage of people who will stay away from Priestfield. For every writer attacking him there is probably far more that agree with some of what is written and will walk away as a result. All he is achieving is fueled their fire once again. The more times you react the more fuel on the fire .I have been a victim of personal attacks. That is one thing I enjoy about Suffolk the personal attacks have disappeared altogether. Sometimes the victims have to walk away for their own well being. Finally I would hope that Scally finds a way to run the club without alienating more and more people.If this is what he wishes to do I would suggest he gets someone from a fans forum to proof read his statements before publication to point out where and why they can be improved.

Last edited:
I think he needs someone to exit down his pieces. I got a quarter way through on my small screen phone and thought I’d come on here in case there was something critical! Apparently not so will read it in full at leisure tomorrow!