Scally 14 page letter | Page 2 | Vital Football

Scally 14 page letter

The other fact is that a percentage of those fans that join Facebook groups like Gillingham are simply there to wind up others .I know of a West Ham supporter know has never been to Priestfield apart from to watch West Ham who is very active on at least one Gills Facebook forum. I am certain he is not the only one.Banning him will make no difference.

The other fact is that a percentage of those fans that join Facebook groups like Gillingham are simply there to wind up others .I know of a West Ham supporter know has never been to Priestfield apart from to watch West Ham who is very active on at least one Gills Facebook forum. I am certain he is not the only one.Banning him will make no difference.

especially as most people are using aliases lol.

A few interesting points in it :

We have 1650 season ticket holders - not sure that's ever been made public before. I thought it would have been higher to be fair

It’s normally more than that, remember season tickets were only available to be purchased for a very short time before the pandemic hit and the football season was effectively cancelled. I’m surprised that as many as 1650 bought them at the end of Feb/early March last year.
I know of several fans who wanted to buy them in the summer for this season, but they weren’t available to purchase. (Good thing for them as it turned out as it was money down the drain effectively).

What do Covid and Scally have in common? - they both try to stop some of us from going to Priestfield's.

Last edited:
It’s normally more than that, remember season tickets were only available to be purchased for a very short time before the pandemic hit and the football season was effectively cancelled. I’m surprised that as many as 1650 bought them at the end of Feb/early March last year.
I know of several fans who wanted to buy them in the summer for this season, but they weren’t available to purchase. (Good thing for them as it turned out as it was money down the drain effectively).

Good point I had overlooked that.

This years offering will be interesting. Heart says buy one whatever, head says don't buy one.

It shouldn't be this hard to be a gills fan.

I think that overall Scally does a good job but the annual audited accounts, which are always delayed to the last minute, set out the issues. It isn't lies or speculation.

He takes a directors remuneration of £200k + out of the club each year, and there do not appear to be any other active directors, so he decides what is an appropriate figure for himself. He doesn't mention that he is taking a cut for this year. He is effectively a dictator in all matters Gills related.

Then in usual times he spends a portion of the year in a millionaires playground - Dubai - on the dubious pretence of "seeking investment", which has produced exactly zilch in a decade.

Those are my only criticisms and they have nothing to do with speculation and are not things he can deny.

Phew! Plenty of positive stuff, which should have been expressed more concisely and highlighted. Unfortunately several pages should have been dropped altogether, vendettas are best conducted undercover. The platinum gold stuff has been floated and promised several times in the past. Supporters create their own sense of belonging, association, memory and commitment. That's stuff the club should allow not seek to manage.

The ST numbers did not surprise me because we would have sold more had not the pandemic intervened. Scally has acknowledged those people, I'd add the ifollow faithful, he needs to keep all of us sweet and the signs look good.

He is clumsy on the PFA but he's more right than wrong about them, football authorities and the government. Hopefully once proper football starts he will pay less attention to social media. I got sacked and told to fuck off from one of the facebook groups, that after a loads of abuse from the guy running the group. I laughed and Scally should do the same. We are small in number, they are tiny.

Last edited:
Tiers are very common at other clubs to be fair. Albeit normally ones that have a chance of selling out

Exactly. Scally has to make it as simple as possible for the casual fan to buy tickets, not introduce numerous confusing tiers. Hopefully im wrong and it works out but it seems unnecessarily complicated.

Exactly. Scally has to make it as simple as possible for the casual fan to buy tickets, not introduce numerous confusing tiers. Hopefully im wrong and it works out but it seems unnecessarily complicated.

If everyone needs to be a bronze member (chargeable) to buy tickets then that really would be crazy and not attract casual supporters. Lets hope it's optional to be a member and not mandatory !!!

If everyone needs to be a bronze member (chargeable) to buy tickets then that really would be crazy and not attract casual supporters. Lets hope it's optional to be a member and not mandatory !!!
I wonder if he is exploring the possibility of a small monthly subscription fee for membership. Sort of thing netflix and apple do. I know some cinemas and theatres do this and it seems to be the growing trend these days. I am not sure it would work for football where the only thing to attract people is a home game every fortnight though. Not sure where the benefits would be either. Cheaper match tickets I suppose.

Obviously this is just surmising on my part, chances are whatever it is if it even does see the light of day will divide supporters as usual.

You were at the same meeting in Scallys office as me mate when he mentioned numerous supporters clubs are just about to be unveiled. That was 7/8 years ago? I remember at the time it seemed overally complicated and not really needed. The family section in the Medway Stand is good and the family fun days on the pitch at the end of the season have been a big success and highly praised. Imo the club should build on this by bringing back the Junior Gills which you could sign your kids up to, keeping the fun days and adding Xmas party, card on your birthday etc. Keep it simple and it works.

Bristol Rovers Gaschat is discussing Scally’s open letter and are pretty complimentary about it.
Tiny squad.
Tiny budget.
Huge manager.

They’d take our league position any day.

...He doesn't mention that he is taking a cut for this year. He is effectively a dictator in all matters Gills related.

Then in usual times he spends a portion of the year in a millionaires playground - Dubai - on the dubious pretence of "seeking investment", which has produced exactly zilch in a decade.

Those are my only criticisms and they have nothing to do with speculation and are not things he can deny.
You’re speculating that he hasn’t taken a pay cut because he hasn’t mentioned it. You’re also forgetting Michael Anderson who was discovered in Dubai. Ignoring the circumstances in which he left the club he still invested heavily in us, enabling the restructuring.

I’m interested in hearing about the benefits of the supporters groups. In the old days, as Billy Bleach says, membership clubs were primarily another way of helping the club, while in return feeling a bit closer to it using inexpensive added value benefits. A small discount on coach travel. Vouchers for the club shop. A birthday card. Perhaps a membership day where you can meet the players.

Then we started dabbing with a points system based on purchased tickets, merchandise and beer.

Many supporters clubs now are primarily based as a method of prioritising ticket sales when demand frequently outweighs supply. Arsenal has a similar system - everyone pays for the basic ‘red’ tier, then silver gold etc are based on other aspects like being a shareholder, how many season tickets you’ve bought in the past, yearly points accumulations. Hence Arsenal selling 1,000 tickets away to small Eastern European sides in European qualifiers only for 100 to turn up!

Whenever tickets go on sale they go to higher tier members first, then down the tiers with red members fighting over the last remaining ones. Other than that each year there’s a little goodie box of stuff along with your new cards.

Is it needed at Gills? We don’t really need a priority system other than once or twice a season, but a points system will once again encourage people to spend money at the store(s) and Factory. All you need to do is think up some sensible rewards and it’s a winner. It’s not hard, but it’s also easy to mess up if you don’t bother.

Like others say, we know there are ***** on social media who proclaim to be Gills fans but forever put a downer on everything with anti-comments to everything. A wishy washy ‘look out, we’ve made a list of such people’ is more damaging than good.

We’ve recently received a telling off by the Ombudsman for ‘banning’ a fan who was a bit of a penis, forcing a climb-down from both sides. We don’t want supporters to feel any criticism will be punished, which is easier done than saying ‘we’ll ban people if they directly damage our club by saying I used season ticket monies to build a duck house in my garden’.

I obviously agree with much of the rest of the letter. Football does need a reset to take us away from relying on sugar daddies and debt. Loose ticket and shirt price caps too, pressure a loosening of the Taylor report to allow terracing back under safe conditions too. Not his words but mine.

You were at the same meeting in Scallys office as me mate when he mentioned numerous supporters clubs are just about to be unveiled. That was 7/8 years ago? I remember at the time it seemed overally complicated and not really needed. The family section in the Medway Stand is good and the family fun days on the pitch at the end of the season have been a big success and highly praised. Imo the club should build on this by bringing back the Junior Gills which you could sign your kids up to, keeping the fun days and adding Xmas party, card on your birthday etc. Keep it simple and it works.

Yeah I remember. It wasa nice evening and he was a good host. Seems he really is jekyll and Hyde.

As you say keep it simple. We really can't afford to make it harder.

Still say cash turnstile with unreserved seating In one block is what we need. Just make it easy for last minute punters. "Nice weather lets go the gills" moments.

I suggested that at the meeting. He said he'd look into it. Maybe its coming with the taps in the factory and the new on line, print at home tickets with bar code scanning turnstiles

Yeah I remember. It wasa nice evening and he was a good host. Seems he really is jekyll and Hyde.

As you say keep it simple. We really can't afford to make it harder.

Still say cash turnstile with unreserved seating In one block is what we need. Just make it easy for last minute punters. "Nice weather lets go the gills" moments.

I suggested that at the meeting. He said he'd look into it. Maybe its coming with the taps in the factory and the new on line, print at home tickets with bar code scanning turnstiles
I remember the reason clubs across the country got rid of cash turnstiles was due to the reason you needed to train kids to deal with cash. A few contactless/QR code gates would be good though. I also like the system when we opened the BMS up for unreserved seating. Make it £5 concessions and £15 adults or something. It’s a shame the uptake was so poor last time. I wish the Rainham End was back to being a terrace but this time held a bit more - 3-4K.