Sanchez | Page 2 | Vital Football

Sanchez

If Vert plays Wednesday I will be surprised. I want to see Foyth developed but might be too soon since his recovery to play him.

Last edited:
I remember one of the first games I saw Vert play. He surged forward into the box Ricky Villa esque and scored. I posted at the time.....that ain't no centre back. Of course he is, but he sure can play and I'm not sure we have utilised those skills to max potential. Has he played CM before ? Sorry to divert the thread but not worth starting a new one really.

I remember one of the first games I saw Vert play. He surged forward into the box Ricky Villa esque and scored. I posted at the time.....that ain't no centre back. Of course he is, but he sure can play and I'm not sure we have utilised those skills to max potential. Has he played CM before ? Sorry to divert the thread but not worth starting a new one really.

You don't divert your best players, you rest them. If Vert is out of position and you need to play his replacement at LCB, those are 2 positions you just compromised.

You don't divert your best players, you rest them. If Vert is out of position and you need to play his replacement at LCB, those are 2 positions you just compromised.

I'm talking generally for Vert since day one. Of course he has been a valuable asset as CB. I guess at least when we play 3 at the back he stands more chance of advancing forward.

Word was that the reason Vert turned down Arsenal for us was because Wenger saw him as the answer to his DM problems and Vert had no interest in playing there. I believe he has been known to fill in at DM, and we know he's played LB for his country a lot and for us on occasion. He's a very good all round footballer, but his best position is definitely CB imo.

Funny how those decisions can make such a big difference to clubs fortunes. Imagine if he'd decided he'd rather play DM at the time a la Dier, he would have potentially improved Arsenal hugely and we'd have missed out on an exceptional CB - maybe even later losing out on Toby as the draw of his old CB partner being here wouldn't have been present.

Similarly, if Hazard / Aguero / Mata had pushed through a move to us when Harry tried to sign them we could have been a different prospect.

Well there's a question....would Vert be better than Dier sitting in front of the back 4 ? His passing is as good if not better and his reading of the game.

I think we should be playing 3 at the back when we play against the likes of Huddersfield and Cardiff etc therefore he will get games. We should also rotate him with Jan and Toby to ensure he keeps match fitness and they keep fresh.
Against the big teams we need to play a back 4 and it needs to be the strongest. Tripps, Toby, Vert, Rose.

Well there's a question....would Vert be better than Dier sitting in front of the back 4 ? His passing is as good if not better and his reading of the game.

Probably. He would have been a top class DM. I get the impression Verts doesn't want to run around much though, a reason why he opted for CB as his number 1 position in his younger days.

Probably. He would have been a top class DM. I get the impression Verts doesn't want to run around much though, a reason why he opted for CB as his number 1 position in his younger days.
Yeah probably right, until he gets a rush of blood and goes on one of his runs to burn off some energy. I get the impression he does it when he is not impressed with what's going on with our attack.

Most of the time could Vert be playing well within himself ?

my point was if we want him to stick about, putting him in a position that he point blank refused a move over isn't going to get him signing that new contract - and would weaken our defence, even if he would do a better job than Dier has lately.

I would have used Amos this season instead of playing Dier but Poch clearly doesn't think he is ready.

Wana has a long term problem with his knee. I reckon he will need surgery.

With Dier being out of form for 2 years, Dembele on his last legs, Sissoko injured, it's easy to see why some are suggesting maybe try Sanchez there for a short period of time.

Bingo...and I agree with you. Amos should be given a shot.

I like it when Vert surges forward. He can play. I remember a fun question asked to one of our youngsters....who's the club's most skilful player....the answer was Verts.

He can play up until the point that he usually loses control and composure at the critical moment. One of his few examples when everything stayed intact was his goal against Swansea.