Sam Morsy | Vital Football

Sam Morsy

E

exiled tic

Good message of intent on this Christmas Morning by IEC in announcing his new contract until 2021.!

Morsy continued. “Football changes fast, though, and hopefully now we have a good thing going on and with the new ownership hopefully giving us a boost in January with some new exciting players, as well as players coming back from injury, we are going to have a really strong squad.

Perhaps he knows something

Absolutely delighted with this news. I feared he may have left on a free in the summer.

Looking at the players out of contract who will return to parent club or contract expire in the summer: 20
Walton
Jones
Lavercombe
Owen Evans
James
Byrne
Bruce
Burn
Connolly
Robinson
MacDonald
Gibson
McMannaman
Burgess
Merrie
Flores
Powell
Massey
Roberts
Vaughan

Players who are under contract next season and beyond: 14
Dunkley
Kipre
Morsy
Evans
Lopes
Jacobs
Walker
Naismith
Windass
Grigg
Garner
Cole
Geldheart
Lang

I cant see us offering many new contracts fingers crossed Powell and Byrne (for right back after James goes back) get their deals sorted asap. Massey probably needs to get back fit and playing before we decide on a new deal for him. Jones is prob worth another year as back up and maybe a couple of the youngsters but can't see the rest getting a new offer. Although i think Macca and McDonald could be worth new deals if we ever decided to use them.

So we do need to look at signing a few permanent players for the long term.

With Evans deal becoming permanent and Burn going the first of Jan we will have 1 open loan spot to use too.

So far the realistic Jan links for us Madine, Dowell, Tilt, Wallace.

I am unable to get excited about a league 1 player signing a longer term contract. Sam Morsey just doesn't do it for me, very over rated and just not that good of a player.

People will disagree but I would love for someone to tell me what he brings to the team.

Just seen today's news of the captains new deal. I'm guessing loudmouth and waftv have been choking on their Christmas turkey this afternoon. However it's welcome news as far as I'm concerned, one of the few championship quality players we have. Hopefully as Sam alluded to we can follow it up with some quality additions next month.

I am unable to get excited about a league 1 player signing a longer term contract. Sam Morsey just doesn't do it for me, very over rated and just not that good of a player.

People will disagree but I would love for someone to tell me what he brings to the team.

I think his value is really obvious imo but to articulate it:

He is the water carrier and central pivot for the team; picking up the ball deep from the centre backs and keeper allowing us to play out from the back and recycling possession.

He is very fit, covers every blade of glass and presses hard from the first to last minute.

His movement off the ball is very good and he always makes himself available for a pass and never goes hiding. He never sherks responsibility and tries to drive us forward when others around him aren't doing their job.

He's strong on the ball, a good passer, never bottles a challenge, gets stuck in and gives us the s--- housing that all good teams benefit from. Sometimes he does push his luck though.

He's also got a good shot on him and is a dangerous attacking mid on the times we push him further up. One critasism i have of him is he should not be afraid to go another 10 yards further forward and shoot when the play opens up rather than looking for the pass.

If he has a bad game the whole team generally doesn't function very well as he is the central cog to the passing, attacking football we were doing at the start of the season. A big part of the reccent slump is Morsy (and Evans) are not dropping deep to make the double pivot in a 4-2-3-1 and playing more of a traditional 2 centre mids in a 4-4-2 and sitting more on the half way line battling for knock downs from long balls rather than going bringing the ball from the defence to attacking mid.

He's not perfect but he's certainly a good Championship player. We are lucky to have him.

Must admit .... I have always had Sam Morsy as the player who exemplified the art of holding onto the ball under pressure and not losing possession. Nick Powell and Reece James have lost possession a bit more ... If I am reading my stats correctly.
Has had his ups and downs this season. Some iffy games at times but better than most, more often than not.
Great news to read that he has signed on for another 21/2 years

Surely if you knew anything about football you wouldn't need someone to tell you what he brings to the team!

Morsy’s our talisman, and possesses both the skillset and leadership qualities of a prototypical Championship captain. They are rare commodities at this level - certainly within our price range anyway - and it would’ve been foolish to let someone so committed to Wigan Athletic walk out of the door for nothing.

People point out his (few) flaws and imperfections, but a perfect player wouldn’t be anywhere near Wigan Athletic - in this league or any other. Considering the relatively meagre fee we bought him for, I think he’s certainly exceeded expectations and deserves to be rewarded for it.

Last edited:
It shows great intent from the new owners, that's one less starting spot we have to replace in January/summer. The Morsys and McArthurs are greatly underappreciated until they are going/gone as they're more pivotal and effective in the passing build up and deep defending with a rare cracking shot and are hard to find. My only complaint is his aggression, it's great to be determined and commited but some of his fouls have been stupid, having our captain suspended doesn't help and the rate he's going he'll miss another 5 matches from 10 and 15 yellows, already on 7 and lucky to not have more and imo lucky to have got the red rescinded.

He hasn't been as consistent this season, he had an absolute mare against Forest, but he is easily our best midfielder. You keep mentioning he passes it back too much but if the players aren't making the moves for him then it's either pass back, try to dribble until he they do move or get tackled or hoof it up. Jacobs, Powell (both injured), Massey (injured until now), Robinson, Roberts, Naismith (all 3 inconsistent with Robinson injured) and James (although sideways = bad in your book even though he's been one of our best reliable attacking dribblers and crossers), Macca never plays and Byrne and Windass are lost puppies. But it's all his fault right?

Just seen today's news of the captains new deal. I'm guessing loudmouth and waftv have been choking on their Christmas turkey this afternoon. However it's welcome news as far as I'm concerned, one of the few championship quality players we have. Hopefully as Sam alluded to we can follow it up with some quality additions next month.

I have had a very pleasant day with my family and friends then dozed off at 9 ish after a day of indulgence and hard work catering for 12, that was until now when I fancied a cuppa on waking up and had a quick troll on the net to see if there was anything on re WBA later, I had no idea, or care for that matter of today's goings on or announcements, what I do know though is you must lead one hell of a pathetic life if you think a point scoring exercise on a fans forum is the way to spend Christmas Day.

I have had a very pleasant day with my family and friends then dozed off at 9 ish after a day of indulgence and hard work catering for 12, that was until now when I fancied a cuppa on waking up and had a quick troll on the net to see if there was anything on re WBA later, I had no idea, or care for that matter of today's goings on or announcements, what I do know though is you must lead one hell of a pathetic life if you think a point scoring exercise on a fans forum is the way to spend Christmas Day.

Jeez, you must have been a barrel of laughs yesterday. The only point scoring I'm interested is that on the pitch. I found the contract announcement interesting timing given you and waftv had only days ago written him off. It was a light hearted comment given the context of the day, made without any consideration to have a pop whilst praising the new deal. Very sad reflection of yourself however that you view it that way and took the trouble to get offended and reply at half two in the morning on Christmas night. Cheer up, it'll soon be new year.

I am encouraged greatly by this news of Sam...firstly because I like him but more importantly is that it shows intent and he must have been given assurances as to future investment in the team...now if they would let the hoi polloi know to settle us down as well.

I wonder if Samys been given any assurances over Cooks immediate and long term future before signing a contract.

I wonder if Samys been given any assurances over Cooks immediate and long term future before signing a contract.

I would have thought that that would certainly have been brought up in the negotiations and from Sams comments looks like a positive reply was given.

Great news to have finally sorted out a contract for a player that is pivotal to our survival in this division.

Now all we need to hear is that contracts have been agreed for the remaining regulars whose terms are ending and that Paul Cook will have sufficient funds available to strengthen the squad.