Rowe v Wade N/G | Page 2 | Vital Football

Rowe v Wade N/G

The loudest (and most media appealing) parts of a political and religious spectrum are usually at each end. Fortunately, most of the time, reasonable people eventually drive majority common sense into concluding contentious issues.

I wonder whether the situation in the U.S. may follow a similar path to the one in Ireland, which was eventually navigated to a reasonable solution (including an overwhelming referendum majority) that resulted in an amendment of the Irish Constitution.

Despite the entrenched anti-abortion beliefs of some religious zealots and some political zealots, do we really think that they carry the majority view in civilised countries on what is reasonable in the case of Abortion ? Is it not more reasonable for individual women to be the principal deciding factors in whether or not those women have or do not have an abortion ?

Zealots produce good headlines, but reasonableness, and common sense will prevail, eventually !

Not so sure I am that optimistic with that one …. Seems lots of people are increasingly entrenched in their views on either side with not much middle ground…..

Despite the entrenched anti-abortion beliefs of some religious zealots and some political zealots, do we really think that they carry the majority view in civilised countries on what is reasonable in the case of Abortion ?

As per the stats below, there is not an awful lot of difference in terms of the percentages of people being pro-life and pro-choice. It is not a case of the majority hold "reasonable" views and the smaller minority are a bunch of religous zealots and other extremists.

Neither side technically carry a majority of the opinion.

1656268066257.png

Source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/225975/share-of-americans-who-are-pro-life-or-pro-choice/

As per the stats below, there is not an awful lot of difference in terms of the percentages of people being pro-life and pro-choice. It is not a case of the majority hold "reasonable" views and the smaller minority are a bunch of religous zealots and other extremists.

Neither side technically carry a majority of the opinion.

View attachment 58544

Source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/225975/share-of-americans-who-are-pro-life-or-pro-choice/
Is this all people, or women?

An attack on anyones freedom of autonomy over their body is an attack on everyone’s freedom of autonomy.

There are religious sections who see a blood transfusion (even if critically needed) a deep affront to their beliefs. If a law was made to ban all transfusions off the back of that you’d be first in the queue to call them out as religious zealots.

Last edited:
If a pregnant woman want's an abortion and a qualified doctor is willing to perform it where's the problem. It is called freedom.

Over 92% no reason. A grand absence of facts. Plenty of pointless questions and dangling statements as usual. Do you back the right of extreme, religious minorities to dictate the lives of a nation's women, pretty simple and nothing to do with whether you identify with the other side.

Do you back the right of extreme, religious minorities to dictate the lives of a nation's women

I don't, but religions that we would consider "extreme" and misogynistic are in charge of most countries in the world, and are spreading through the others. This is a clear example of the affect religious views have on people, and why it is important that we are protected against them.

Ahhhhh …. This one does make sense …..

my first thought was it’s a proper right wing move …. But maybe it makes sense for the States to decide …. But that means those ladies in the South States ( mostly) have zero chance of getting an abortion ….. whilst those in democratic states will have access …. Fair ?
I think things will change again should Trump get re-elected. There will be a massive push to make abortion illegal, nationally. The phrase "united states of" should be dropped. It is a country that is so divided I can't see anyone uniting it. Some states will be pushing for independance.

I don't, but religions that we would consider "extreme" and misogynistic are in charge of most countries in the world, and are spreading through the others. This is a clear example of the affect religious views have on people, and why it is important that we are protected against them.

I'd agree with all of that with a slight concern about "protected against them". I'd add that it's ideology, including religion, that has that potential for harm. I think we'd agree that we need to protect ourselves against that harm wherever it comes from.

Over 92% no reason. A grand absence of facts. Plenty of pointless questions and dangling statements as usual.

Other research on the matter suggests the overwhelmingly vast majority of that 92% sees abortion as "another form of contraception".

Ok so those of you seemingly in favour of mandatory pregnancies, how would you feel about mandatory vasectomies as a solution?