Rose whines on yet again | Vital Football

Rose whines on yet again

Spursex

Alert Team
Danny Rose says things happen in football which he 'would not wish on anybody'

By Joe Townsend, Sky News radio reporter

Last Updated: 27/06/18 6:14am

Danny Rose says recommending football 'is not something I would be shouting from the rooftops'

Danny Rose has spoken about his life as a professional footballer, saying he would not recommend it to children.

The Tottenham left-back endured a difficult 2017-18 season and recently said he had been diagnosed with depression, caused by injury and family tragedy.

Rose is in the England squad for the World Cup in Russia and came off the bench during the 6-1 win over Panama on Sunday, as Gareth Southgate's team secured a last-16 place.

However, speaking ahead of England's final Group G game against Belgium on Thursday, Rose revealed there are some aspects of a footballer's lifestyle which can be unappealing.

"It is the best job in the world, don't get me wrong," said Rose.

"But people seem to think there are no other issues within football, you just get your money at the end of the month and play every weekend.

"There is so much more to football than what people may see on Saturday and I don't believe in hiding that from people.

skysports-danny-rose-england_4344576.jpg

Rose was brought off the bench during England's win over Panama on Sunday
"Even though I feel very privileged to play football, with the things I have experienced within the game, it is not something I would be shouting from the rooftops, to recommend to people's children to be footballers.

"Because there are a lot of things that happen on a day-to-day basis at club football that I wouldn't wish on anybody."

Rose would not reveal the specifics but, when asked if he meant the pressure of being a footballer, the 27-year-old added: "There's pressure, there's politics, there's loads of things.

"There's not just playing on a Saturday and you receiving your money at the end of the month.

"There's so, so much more to football than what people see.

"My agent told me when I was 15, 16, 'you can have all the ability in the world but if you're not mentally strong enough football will swallow you up'.

"For 10, 11 years, I didn't have a clue about what he was talking about. It wasn't until this past year where I've realised exactly what he's meant.

"He's 100 per cent right with what he told me all those years ago."

Given that his agent so recently gave him such bad or no advice, it seems Danny now wants to tell the World how precient he was 10, 11 years ago...

Apart from that it's another "you don't know how tough life is being me" whine...

STFU Danny, most of us are sick of it.

Followed by a reversal in stance, that actually does make sense..

England’s Danny Rose says he would now happily let family come to Russia
• Defender has enjoyed relaxed atmosphere at World Cup
• Rose set for start against Belgium in Kaliningrad

Dominic Fifield in Repino
@domfifield
Tue 26 Jun 2018 17.32 BST Last modified on Tue 26 Jun 2018

Danny Rose says a weight has been lifted from his shoulders. Photograph: Eddie Keogh for The FA/Rex/Shutterstock

Danny Rose is increasingly open to reversing his decision not to bring his family to Russia to attend England’s fixtures having been pleasantly surprised by the atmosphere he has experienced at the World Cup.

The defender had made clear his concerns over potential issues with racism before the finals, and told his family they should not travel. He admitted his father had been “really upset” but said that he had not wanted his own focus to become distracted by concerns for his family’s safety.

However, having witnessed England’s wins in Volgograd and Nizhny Novgorod, and seen team-mates enjoy time with their families on days off in St Petersburg, Rose’s initial intransigence has mellowed. “I just want to get in the team and then, after that, I’d be open [to them coming to Russia],” he told IRN. “I’d definitely be open now to having my family out here, so let’s just hope we win on Thursday and then we beat whoever we play in the next round and we’ll see.”
The left wing-back went public before the finals with details about his depression, triggered by the treatment of a knee injury coupled with family tragedy, and how he had considered time spent away with the England squad as something of a salvation.
“We’ve had family days where we’ve had a day off and the gaffer has allowed people, families, to come to the hotel or we can go to our families’ hotel,” said Rose, who is likely to start Thursday against Belgium. “When people have had their families around, yeah, it has been difficult.

“There’s a few of us here without families here so we’ve not had much to do and it’s been a bit difficult, but I’ve got three weeks just to dedicate my life to England and what we’re trying to do here. I am comfortable in not having my family here. I’m fine, I’m not on the verge of breaking down or anything. So, I’m fine [if his family opt against travelling] and hopefully there’s another two-and-a-half more weeks until the final and it’s not a long time. I’ll be able to manage.”

Given that his agent so recently gave him such bad or no advice, it seems Danny now wants to tell the World how precient he was 10, 11 years ago...

Apart from that it's another "you don't know how tough life is being me" whine...

STFU Danny, most of us are sick of it.

Well he said he hadn't a clue what his agent meant 10 years ago, so I don't think he was trying to prove how pescient he was. What gets me is he mentions he didn't realise what his agent was banging on about until this last year ... a year in which he saw his game time dwindle significantly.

I don't mind him talking about mental strength, but when he mentions politics within a club it does seem like a little dig at us. This could be seen as the second time he's thrown shade at the club after his recent comments that England was his salvation during what he perceived as tough times for him.

It's not a good look, Danny.

At face value, I don't like some of his words he said and the implications on THFC. However, having experienced first hand colleagues with mental health, I put a natural filter on them. Inevitably there an element of his head being scrambled and interpreting things differently due to his illness and there's normally elements of truth being spoken. My experience is that the common sense filter on what should and shouldn't be said is normally a major sign.

The most interesting part was that the initial question was "Why are you so honest". He could have answered that in many different ways and probably regrets taking the conversation in that direction. All symptoms of being put on the spot and his head being scrambled due to his illness in my opinion. He did manage to decline the follow up question on specific examples and used the "pressure and politics" get out.

On a lighter note. Ex, what sort of headline is "Rose whines on yet again"? You been hanging around with the gutter press again :-)

At face value, I don't like some of his words he said and the implications on THFC. However, having experienced first hand colleagues with mental health, I put a natural filter on them. Inevitably there an element of his head being scrambled and interpreting things differently due to his illness and there's normally elements of truth being spoken. My experience is that the common sense filter on what should and shouldn't be said is normally a major sign.

The most interesting part was that the initial question was "Why are you so honest". He could have answered that in many different ways and probably regrets taking the conversation in that direction. All symptoms of being put on the spot and his head being scrambled due to his illness in my opinion. He did manage to decline the follow up question on specific examples and used the "pressure and politics" get out.

On a lighter note. Ex, what sort of headline is "Rose whines on yet again"? You been hanging around with the gutter press again :-)

You've sussed me; lunch with The Guardian editor yesterday, so the answer to your question is 'yes'!!

He is coming across as someone that is totally detached from reality, does he honestly believe that politics and pressure don't exist in other industries. I can assure Danny boy that there are plenty dealing with far greater pressures for a fraction of the rewards.

Does he think that football is the only job in the world . Fuck me , if he had had my job , he would have known what pressure was all about . ....and my job was nothing compared to what a midwife , surgeon , fireman , paramedic, North Sea fishermen, pilots, armed services , anti terrorist agents etc etc etc go through on a daily basis .
He needs to get a proper perspective on life before bleating off to the media about the pressure of being a bloody footballer with the money and protection thrown at him from all angles .
Put him in a room with a single mum who is a nurse , and let them swap notes

Needs to stfu and do his talking on the pitch again.

He clearly talks about club football in the last year. His constant digs are tiresome.

Gone from my fave Spurs player to me not caring if he goes now. Legacy like King my arse Danny.

Does he think that football is the only job in the world . Fuck me , if he had had my job , he would have known what pressure was all about . ....and my job was nothing compared to what a midwife , surgeon , fireman , paramedic, North Sea fishermen, pilots, armed services , anti terrorist agents etc etc etc go through on a daily basis .
He needs to get a proper perspective on life before bleating off to the media about the pressure of being a bloody footballer with the money and protection thrown at him from all angles .
Put him in a room with a single mum who is a nurse , and let them swap notes

WW - What do they say about money and happiness?

Ironically, unlike most of the population, the nurse would know that depression is a real illness and would know she would have a much harder life managing her job and bringing up a her kid if she had it versus Rose. There will be folks from all of those jobs you listed that suffer, and highly paid footballers aren't exempt because they sit at the top of the pyramid and get the money and adulation. In fact, I wouldn't mind betting any environment full of alpha males takes its toll at times.

Spurs as a collective should be under the spotlight now. The company has had 2 recent cases of players with long term tenures from similar backgrounds suffering from these illnesses. They need to figure out their part in it, and put in the proactive changes, if not done already.

Ironically, unlike most of the population, the nurse would know that depression is a real illness and would know she would have a much harder life managing her job and bringing up a her kid if she had it versus Rose. There will be folks from all of those jobs you listed that suffer, and highly paid footballers aren't exempt because they sit at the top of the pyramid and get the money and adulation. In fact, I wouldn't mind betting any environment full of alpha males takes its toll at times.

Spurs as a collective should be under the spotlight now. The company has had 2 recent cases of players with long term tenures from similar backgrounds suffering from these illnesses. They need to figure out their part in it, and put in the proactive changes, if not done already.

Sometimes you just can't legislate for stupidity, alternative agendas and agents..

Depression can hit anyone no matter what their financial circumstances are. I am holding off any slating of Danny in case there are underlying issues with him. I just hope he can play as he can and do himself justice. I thought he looked a bit timber laden last time out !!

Sorry Muttley , I'm not having that .
These players are worth untold millions of pounds to the club. Their physical and mental conditions are of the utmost importance, you cannot tell me that something as dreadful and potentially career threatening, even life threatening ,as Clinical Depression would go unnoticed . I'm just not having it . The doctors at the club aren't the run of the mill type that dish out pain killers and anti depressant tablets .
and tell you to stop wasting their time
Danny Rose may have problems ,but he ain't coming up with the true facts here .
He is either lying to the club doctors , or lying to the club , the management ,his fellow players and the supporters .
It's strange that he makes all these claims but won't back them up when questioned about them .........all in my honest opinion ,of course

Sorry Muttley , I'm not having that .
These players are worth untold millions of pounds to the club. Their physical and mental conditions are of the utmost importance, you cannot tell me that something as dreadful and potentially career threatening, even life threatening ,as Clinical Depression would go unnoticed . I'm just not having it . The doctors at the club aren't the run of the mill type that dish out pain killers and anti depressant tablets .
and tell you to stop wasting their time
Danny Rose may have problems ,but he ain't coming up with the true facts here .
He is either lying to the club doctors , or lying to the club , the management ,his fellow players and the supporters .
It's strange that he makes all these claims but won't back them up when questioned about them .........all in my honest opinion ,of course

WW - there's obviously shades of grey. He is implying that there was challenges at THFC but if he spoke about them openly to the public, feels that would be a lot worse after last time. His head is scrambled.

Doesn't mean that Spurs are blameless though. I've seen cases in 2 different companies and I promise you, neither were blameless. Spurs have now had 2 similar cases of long term players from similar backgrounds. My guess is that they've already had a robust meeting on the subject and tried to put in some changes.

Trust me if he had Clinical or severe depression right now he wouldn't be doing interviews and playing for England.

He knows what he is doing. So does his dickhead agent.

Absolutely spot on RD; when you've made a dick of yourself; Distraction and deviation with a hint of self-inspired ululation for the benefit of a good storyline for the press is agent PR at it's finest.

There will be those who get sucked in by it and those that don't.

Personally, having seen stunts like this pulled too often in all walks of life by PR spinmeisters, I think it's a complete crock of shit, but each to their own...

Absolutely spot on RD; when you've made a dick of yourself; Distraction and deviation with a hint of self-inspired ululation for the benefit of a good storyline for the press is agent PR at it's finest.

There will be those who get sucked in by it and those that don't.

Personally, having seen stunts like this pulled too often in all walks of life by PR spinmeisters, I think it's a complete crock of shit, but each to their own...

Ex - you saying Rose hasn't suffered from depression and I've just got sucked in like the rest? It's of course possible, but if that's the case then credit to Rose, he is a damn fine actor. To come across as so mentally fragile and say so many leading statements when put in front of a microphone is some talent. I would say kings of spin have way more intellect than I've ever seen from Rose when I've watched or listened to him.

Either way, it sounds like his Spurs career is over. I see RD, WW and yourself drawing a different conclusion to myself and if that's reflective of the WHL crowd and especially away fans, then it could get a whole lot tougher for Danny. He was getting enough stick last season before his alleged depression went out publicly.

Great conversation as always though