Rochdale | Page 3 | Vital Football

Rochdale

Bloody hell Hindley, beginning to think you are only a part timer. Enjoy yourself and have a couple for me.

Will do TB...oh and thanks for nothing mate. A few weeks ago you made a throwaway comment about stopping posting while you watched Endeavour. I had never watched a single episode before that but gave it a go.

I have now watched every episode from 5 series in the space of 3 weeks and it's driving the wife crackers.

.........I have now watched every episode from 5 series in the space of 3 weeks and it's driving the wife crackers.

2 questions .......
a) So who do you have a crush on ?, and
b) Do you just like old jags ?

Disclaimer - I know it's about early days of Morse, and I know Morse had an old Jag ........ so, I'm presuming the Jag is in Endeavour too ..... never having seen it, and if it's as addictive as Hindley suggests, I'm definitely going to avoid it !

2 questions .......
a) So who do you have a crush on ?, and
b) Do you just like old jags ?

Disclaimer - I know it's about early days of Morse, and I know Morse had an old Jag ........ so, I'm presuming the Jag is in Endeavour too ..... never having seen it, and if it's as addictive as Hindley suggests, I'm definitely going to avoid it !

A...Fred Thursday's daughter is a cracker.

B...the Jag is there and it's a 1959 MK.1 beauty.

It's a bit lefty at times moonay but it's just so bloody addictive.

Oh and btw I purchased the 1st 4 series as a DVD box set before I realised the whole bloody lot are on sky catch up.

Cost me £ 21 on eBay but if anybody wants um they can have um for the price of a pint.

Fred Thursday ?............. is he related to Ruby Tuesday ?

Box sets are great ......... they're the equivalent of vinyl albums compared to the catch-up equivalent of an mp3.

Why let a great result and going top of the league get in the way of your vendetta against Massey & Power?
Its a fact that Massey has improved markedly in the last couple of games, and yes he needed to, but at least try to give a little bit of credit where it is due otherwise it just looks like a blinkered vendetta

That's utter rubbish Kenny. I do not have vendettas against my players. Only last week I was defending Power! And I acknowledged Massey had made a very slight improvement in the last game. But if they are poor I will say so. Last night Massey put a great cross in early doors from which I thought we were going to score from. Then I never saw him touch the ball again until just before half time. Yes, his not cleanly hit shot that the keeper messed up gave Grigg his goal, but these two things are not a much improved performance, they are a slightly better return.
Last night Power gave possession away countless times. But in the past I have been impressed by the way management dealt with Powers early errors, and more so by Powers reaction to that and has fully deserved plaudits in the main. But lately not quite so much.

Will do TB...oh and thanks for nothing mate. A few weeks ago you made a throwaway comment about stopping posting while you watched Endeavour. I had never watched a single episode before that but gave it a go.

I have now watched every episode from 5 series in the space of 3 weeks and it's driving the wife crackers.

Glad you enjoyed it mate, unfortunately the Spanish language version is crap so I suggest you give that one a miss. Enjoy the break.

So Jacobs is a Championship quality player again is he after another good performance against L1 relegation fodder. Have we gone back in time two years? He’s the Cameron Jerome of the second/third tier.

Who else was he meant to have a good game against? Another team playing elsewhere on the night?

You lambast him for having a good game against a team fighting relegation, but you'd be criticising him if he had a bad performance against 'relegation fodder' so he can't really win with your logic.

He scored a superb individual goal against a team who just a week ago beat a team fighting us for promotion that we've failed to beat on two separate occasions, and had also only lost one of their previous nine games before playing us.

I don't understand why some here can only give praise with gritted teeth and against their will!

Last edited:
I’ve got no problem with Jacobs having a good game against L1 relegation fodder. I have a problem with you calling him a “very good Championship quality player” when he proved last season (and two seasons before that with Wolves/Blackpool) that he is in actual fact, a sh**e Championship quality player.

I’ve got no problem with Jacobs having a good game against L1 relegation fodder. I have a problem with you calling him a “very good Championship quality player” when he proved last season (and two seasons before that with Wolves/Blackpool) that he is in actual fact, a sh**e Championship quality player.

I really don't think you can judge Jacob's standard as a Championship player based on last season. We had 3 managers, t3 different systems, no consistent forward for him to play off, different players every week.

And he is 26 years old, so still in his prime and room for improvement in his decision making. If he continues to shoot the ball like that, I don't care if it's a championship goalie, it's going in.

Lets be honest about this lads, players improve over time. True Jacobs did not perform well in the championship last time but neither did any of our other first teamers. He has shown improvement over this season, as you would expect given a stable management team and regular playing time with a settled side. Lets give him the benefit of the doubt and see how he goes this time in the championship before we start knocking him, who knows that extra year of experience could make all the difference. Look at Harry Maguire, two seasons ago he was unable to get a regular starting place and was sent out on loan to us, now he's in the England set up.

Wildschut did just fine. Sick of the excuses, he didn’t do well because he wasn’t good enough. He played virtually every game. If you’re good enough like Yanic, you’ll cope with the step up regardless of the situation of your team. He’s not got the pace, physicality or consistent final ball to trouble Championship defenders. Those are the cold hard facts. He’s going from playing against pub players on 100 notes a week, to the likes of John Terry.

So whats the answer then C_latic, throw the baby out with the bathwater? I personally want to see him given the chance to prove himself in the championship, however if he does underperform in the first few matches then, and only then consider moving him on. The same applies for all the current first team, I believe they should be given the chance to show what they can do, after all it is them that have got us into this position. By all means strengthen the squad, but give the lads that have all but gained us promotion a chance to shine in a higher division. I think they have earned the right.

I seem to remember Caldwell getting slated for making too many changes when we went up to the Championship.
So why now are people advocating wholesale changes, saying the majority of players are not good enough for anything except "pub league"

We've beaten three PL teams this year. Sure, cups are different, and we're prone to slips, but this team has largely proven its worth of a try in the higher tier. I would only make changes if we could get proven quality in good physical nick into the squad. I very much doubt we have the funds to do that wholesale.

CLatic, are you saying that Wildschutt has proved himself in the Championship? He had one half decent, half season. Since then he's been bombed out by Norwich and can't get in Cardiff's starting 11.

He started last week against Wolves. Do your research. He proved himself for us in the Championship. He could be a Premier League player next season. I don’t hear of a Championship team offering 7m for Jacobs?

How many other times has be started in the 3 months he's been there? The odd appearance doesn't make him a regular. And we won't get anywhere near £7m for Wildschutt. There were all sorts of add ons and conditions depending on what he achieved at Norwich. And since he has so far achieved next to nothing at Norwich we'll be receiving next to no money over and above the down payment.