Rochdale | Page 4 | Vital Football

Rochdale

I said at the time of the Wildshut sale that he wasn't good enough to make us any money through the add ons.

Regarding Jacobs and any other player being deemed not good enough for the Championship. If Cook thinks they aren't good enough i think he will be ruthless and move them on. I can see at least 5 or 6 players being moved on in the summer.

Personally, I can't see any of our "ever present" players of this season being discarded for next season. At worst, they'll become the Noel Hunts & Gary Roberts of next years team.

I’ve got no problem with Jacobs having a good game against L1 relegation fodder. I have a problem with you calling him a “very good Championship quality player” when he proved last season (and two seasons before that with Wolves/Blackpool) that he is in actual fact, a sh**e Championship quality player.

So which players are currently good enough to meet your rigorous standards then? I'm not sure who you expect Wigan to sign in the summer - if don't think next season's squad is going to be mostly made up of the current crop of players then you've got a shock coming your way..

Depends what cash the new owners bring to the table as to the make up of our squad next year. I think there is a good nucleus but being objective we certainly need to strengthen in several areas to be competitive next season. Lest us not forget most flopped in that league last season, though you can mitigate that by the idiots who were in charge of them last year. Key I suspect will be retaining Cook and his staff for continuity purposes.

I keep hearing comments about players being "flops" in the championship last season, yet only MiW has mentioned the management issues that caused the problems. Given that Paul Cook stays in the summer, which incidentally I believe he will, then the same players under a decent manager will prove to be a different proposition. Continuity is key to players giving their best and our last season in the championship lacked it. The only continuity proved to be our ability to appoint the wrong manager again and again. Give the players the chance to show that they are good enough under a good manager and with continuous support and they will do the business, for sure we will need to strengthen in certain areas but wholesale changes are not necessary.

Only one person to blame for last seasons balls up, David Sharpe.

1, For hiring a manager with no Championship experience

2, For not having the guts to axe him sooner leaving Barrow and the players with a mountain to climb.

The above was said repeatedly on all forums the DW stadium and in pubs all over Wigan. So lets not pretend the penny has just dropped, a few additions to this squad with Cook in charge and we'll be fine next season. :yes:

I agree Cook is a good enough manager for the championship , we do need to strengthen but all that will get sorted in time ..

2, For not having the guts to axe him sooner leaving Barrow and the players with a mountain to climb.

The above was said repeatedly on all forums the DW stadium and in pubs all over Wigan. So lets not pretend the penny has just dropped, a few additions to this squad with Cook in charge and we'll be fine next season. :yes:
And prior to 1. sacking Caldwell prematurely was the catalyst for the other two.

At least Caldwell was given a crack at the championship unlike some of the players that got us promoted then shown the door, those players also deserved a chance.

Let’s be honest here, David Sharpe may have the title of chairman but his Grandad is likely to be still pulling the strings. We have no idea how the club is being run. He may have day to day involvement but it will be the boss man will make all the big decisions.

I keep hearing comments about players being "flops" in the championship last season, yet only MiW has mentioned the management issues that caused the problems. Given that Paul Cook stays in the summer, which incidentally I believe he will, then the same players under a decent manager will prove to be a different proposition. Continuity is key to players giving their best and our last season in the championship lacked it. The only continuity proved to be our ability to appoint the wrong manager again and again. Give the players the chance to show that they are good enough under a good manager and with continuous support and they will do the business, for sure we will need to strengthen in certain areas but wholesale changes are not necessary.
If we had had an un-injured Powell and Grigg we would never have been relegated.

This thing about players not being good enough for the Championship. Having watched Villa v Leeds tonight I honestly think all of our players are good enough. If played in the correct position and injury free I have no concerns about any of them.

I think about 10-12 of the players are good enough for the tier above. Maybe not for a promotion-chasing team, but certainly a relegation-avoiding one. What you have to remember, right, is that Warren Joyce was a complete spang.