Rochdale Gills | Page 3 | Vital Football

Rochdale Gills

I'll take the draw seeing as the players had to adapt to a new set up and new players - Akinde and Willock or Wilcock to some

I’m back at my sons in Hyde Manchester, that was Decent, Akinde is without doubt a presence, Roberts looked quality, when Mandron came on he looked a handful as well , I really hope we give Mandron a decent contract , he’s definitely got something about him.
My view is we could have won that game and nearly did , Mandron could and probably should have got one right at the end, although it was a good save, the biggest difference this year is we never seem out of any game, COYG

For some reason I can’t reply Mr Kerr, what’s he got you ask, he puts defenders under pressure, he’s gamely when runs, pretty quick, also a presence, like today he often snatches at chance, but that’s definitely in my opinion conference thing,there’s a useful footballer in there. I only like giving positive posts, but today I thought fuller had a mare, I didn’t think it was a foul by Bonham for the pen, and again in my opinion we were unlucky.

Very entertaining game and well worth the admittance fee. All in all, a fair result. Rochdale have some good players and are a pacey team.

MOM by country mile was Jordan Roberts, didn`t stop running and made many important tackles and interceptions in our own half of the pitch as well as in the attacking zone - where he was incisive, determined and effective. His goals were goodun`s - especially the net-busting second - he really got hold of that one !

John Akinde definitely makes us more of an attacking threat than was previously the case - especially at corners. His strength and presence caused the home defense plenty of problems and he was effective in laying off and drop-passing balls in dangerous offensive situations. We are without doubt a better team with him in it !

IMO this was a very good performance by the Gills with everyone having a good game and some having excellent games. At 2-1 up, tbh, we looked like we might get another goal so it was disappointing to see Rochdale draw level. The equaliser came from a disputed free kick award to Dale. The "infraction" occurred right over by the Gills` fans and it seemed harsh - Roberts adjudged to have pushed the young right back off the ball when it looked more like a fair, well won body shield by the Gills man. Rochdale fed the kick deep and it was nudged on by the big, powerful Wilbraham, who had only seconds earlier joined the game and was not "picked up" by our defense. Wilbraham was a late substitution and frankly, he made quite an impact. In the dying minutes it looked like he was brought down in our penalty box but the ref waved away Dale`s complaints. The referee didn`t have a great game and at the final whistle left the field to chants of "you`re not fit to referee" being sung all around the ground, including by the Gills` fans !

A fair result and a darn good display from a Gills` team which seems to be getting better and better. Well done.

Overall an entertaining match - especially the last 20, where either team could have won. However, for me, it was yet more points thrown away away. At 2-1 we thoroughly deserved to be ahead and were completely in control and should have gone on to win. Rochdale threw the dice, slung on the old cart horse Wilbraham and it took about 10 seconds for them to smash a long ball to him for him to knock down to the lad who took the goal well. However, we've got to deal with a punt to a big man a lot better than that.

Great to see Willock get on. Akinde looks just the player we need and caused problems and was an outlet for long balls - we looked a lot better at set pieces with him there and he caused problems which lead to both of our goals. Roberts looks a live wire and a good signing. Hanlan and Mandron at the end, again both worked hard and were a handful, but yet again spurned very good opportunities showing why SE has looked for other options.

We are certainly a decent and much improved side under SE, but we need to start winning games like today to take that next step - a playoff position isn't out of the equation as the division looks weak from average Wycombe, Ipswich and co at the top to awful Bolton, Southend etc at the bottom.