RIP | Page 62 | Vital Football

RIP

He was here 68-71, I think John Flynn replaced him TT. He was very much part of the early TC era and won United's player of the year in 1969. Top top defender, right up there with our very best CB's, more of a Jags than a JOC in style.
Cheers GB- that's the baffling thing, I recall all that period, just not him!

He was here 68-71, I think John Flynn replaced him TT. He was very much part of the early TC era and won United's player of the year in 1969. Top top defender, right up there with our very best CB's, more of a Jags than a JOC in style.
Didn’t Dave Powell take over that position when Ken Mallender left or when Joe Shaw finished. ?

Didn’t Dave Powell take over that position when Ken Mallender left or when Joe Shaw finished. ?

As Dave’s usual position was left-half (number 6) I would suggest he took over from Barry Wagstaffe.
During the second half of the 1971 season, he was switched to right half to accommodate a new number 6 - a certain Mr. Trevor Hockey (A.K.A. The Werewolf!). :bow:
Before that, his usual oppo was indeed Frank Barlow.

As Dave’s usual position was left-half (number 6) I would suggest he took over from Barry Wagstaffe.
During the second half of the 1971 season, he was switched to right half to accommodate a new number 6 - a certain Mr. Trevor Hockey (A.K.A. The Werewolf!). :bow:
Before that, his usual oppo was indeed Frank Barlow.
I remember Barry Wagstaffe as a defensive Midfielder and his brother Tony as a play maker in midfield. Both went to Reading to play their football.

Wasn't he Wing half with Frank Barlow on the other side if I remember correctly Badger Helmsley and Coloquhoun the Back five
Yes, that sounds right PR but I just can't recall him- age marches on!
Ok I've just had a look through my complete record book so here's the story I think...

A couple of months into the 68-69 season we must have decided to go on a bit of a spending spree because within a few weeks we signed Powell, Eddie Colquhoun and John Tudor. What would we give for 3 signings like that now?
Dave Powell actually replaced Barry Wagstaff at left half (CB) and Eddie C replaced Ken Mallender at Centre Half around the same time. Neither Barry Wagstaff nor Mallendar were good enough TBH
Tudor replaced Mick Hill who'd held the CF position since Mick Jones was sold. All 3 were massive upgrades so credit to our scouting team back then. Around the same time, Ted Hemsley replaced David Munks at right half, something I'd completely forgotten about and so for the rest of that season, our defence was usually as below and as I've already mentioned, Dave Powell won player of the year this season.
Hodgy GK
Badger RB
Hemsley RH (DM in the modern game)
Eddie C CH (CB)
Powell LH (CB in the modern game)
Bernard Shaw LB
The following season Hemsley was injured early on and we'd also sold Bernard Shaw so Frank Barlow took the number 4 RH shirt and Mick Heaton played LB. Ted settled into his normal LB role when be returned after injury. Dave Powell had another great season playing alongside Eddie as the more defensive wing half and we finished 6th.
The following season was of course our promotion season and although Dave wore the number 4 shirt, he continued to play well in his usual position alongside Eddie at centre back until as @Mahatmafoot said he got badly injured at QPR with a couple of months to go. John Flynn replaced him for the last 9 games, John Hope had by then taken over from Hodgy and Trevor Hockey had replaced Barnwell at number 6 as DM, the rest as they say is history. Dave was out for over a year and was eventually released in 1972. He played a few games for Cardiff City but was never the same player.

RIP Dave. You were a pleasure to watch mate.

Last edited:
All before a young buck like me’s time I have heard of him but if I ever did see him play I was too young to remember him

rip dave

Ok I've just had a look through my complete record book so here's the story I think...

A couple of months into the 68-69 season we must have decided to go on a bit of a spending spree because within a few weeks we signed Powell, Eddie Colquhoun and John Tudor. What would we give for 3 signings like that now?
Dave Powell actually replaced Barry Wagstaff at left half (CB) and Eddie C replaced Ken Mallender at Centre Half around the same time. Neither Barry Wagstaff nor Mallendar were good enough TBH
Tudor replaced Mick Hill who'd held the CF position since Mick Jones was sold. All 3 were massive upgrades so credit to our scouting team back then. Around the same time, Ted Hemsley replaced David Munks at right half, something I'd completely forgotten about and so for the rest of that season, our defence was usually as below and as I've already mentioned, Dave Powell won player of the year this season.
Hodgy GK
Badger RB
Hemsley RH (DM in the modern game)
Eddie CH (CB)
Powell LH (CB in the modern game)
Bernard Shaw LB
The following season Hemsley was injured early on and we'd also sold Bernard Shaw so Frank Barlow took the number 4 RH shirt and Mick Heaton played LB. Ted settled into his normal LB role when be returned after injury. Dave Powell had another great season playing alongside Eddie as the more defensive wing half and we finished 6th.
The following season was of course our promotion season and although Dave wore the number 4 shirt, he continued to play superbly in his usual position alongside Eddie at centre back until as @Mahatmafoot said he got badly injured at QPR with a couple of months to go. John Flynn replaced him for the last 9 games, John Hope had by then taken over from Hodgy and Trevor Hockey had replaced Barnwell at number 6 as DM, the rest as they say is history. Dave was out for over a year and was eventually released in 1972. He played a few games for Cardiff City but was never the same player.

RIP Dave. You were a pleasure to watch mate.
We went to the game at Oxford where Hope Hockey and Ford played their first game for United. From memory I remember Hockey never shut up shouting all the game. John Hope looked like a world beater in that game🤔

I think John Flynn took over from Dave Powell,he was signed for £5k from Workington if memory serves mi r8.UTB
Flynn was signed the season before Powell's bad injury just as cover for the CB's really although he did play a few times. I've got to be honest I thought he was miles away from being good enough and his 9 match stint covering for Powell's injury in 71 would be his last especially as we were promoted. Credit to him he made the position his own the following season and was steady as a rock. .