RIP Erod - | Vital Football

RIP Erod -

The Fear

A Wise Man (once sat next to him)
Was sadly told today that Erod, real name Rob Dore, has passed away.

He was a regular on Vital Villa and what I'd call proper Villa, as well as a true gent.

I got to know him many years ago when doing the Ellis Out stuff and during my time on the committee, and latterly the Chairman, of the Aston Villa Shareholders Association. He was always a massive support in all that was done .

You would have to go a very long way to find a nicer guy, or a more die hard Villan. He would rarely talk about his ill health, he'd just want the latest gossip on what was going on at Villa.

Rest well my friend, you will be greatly missed.

And condolences to Wicked Messenger and Dumble.

I'm sure he's having a great catch up with Buck Chinn right now.

Holteender in the Sky.. :utv::utv::utv:

He was there, as was Dumble, the night we (shareholders association) voted to back the Randy share offer). A few of us, Rob included, went to the holte end with a bottle of champagne to toast the end of Doug. Pretty sure Carl Chinn was there also, not sure if Buck had made it. Think he had.

Happy times

He'd probably have liked the fact I've only just twigged on his username, but I am quick like that.

Not sure if this is the right time to share my own condolences (but for different reasons) to Wicked Messenger and Dumble, but I hope it raises a small smile.:hug:

Terrible news to wake up to. I used to love his stories of vintage times at VP and will miss them. Always a good read,
A proper Holte Ender In The Sky.
RIP Erod and sincere condolences to Dumble and Wicked Messenger.

He was a regular on Vital Villa and what I'd call proper Villa, as well as a true gent.

I got to know him many years ago when doing the Ellis Out stuff and during my time on the committee, and latterly the Chairman, of the Aston Villa Shareholders Association. He was always a massive support in all that was done .

You would have to go a very long way to find a nicer guy, or a more die hard Villan. He would rarely talk about his ill health, he'd just want the latest gossip on what was going on at Villa.

Rest well my friend, you will be greatly missed.

I'm sure he's having a great catch up with Buck Chinn right now.

Holteender in the Sky.. :utv::utv::utv:

Thank you for such lovely words Jon. And thank you to everyone who has so kindly commented on this thread.

Erod, my dear, sweet brother, encouraged me to join Vital and made sure I followed Villa in the first place, although through our dad and grandad it was already in our blood. In the early days Rob’s weekend was defined by the Villa result which meant we had quite a few miserable ones before Monday saw recovery and hope set in again. A win would mean I could read the reports from the load of Sunday newspapers he would buy, none if we lost. In his loft at home lie years and years of Villa programmes which he always bought up until his last attended game.

As mentioned, Rob was heavily involved in the Shareholders Association’s efforts to remove Doug. He was what might be called a traditionalist. He wrote to Graham Taylor on his first appointment to request that Villa play in their traditional strip and was delighted with Graham’s reply, “Already in hand, if we can’t play like a Villa team at least we can look like one!” We soon began to play like one too.

A couple of little personal memories I have amongst the myriad of them, first a very early one. Rob missed one match in the 1959/60 season due to the flu, he was 13, I was 8. We watched the results coming through on the teleprinter and it said “Aston Villa 11 Charlton 1,” we looked at each other in disbelief and shock. Then the teleprinter read “CORRECTION “ and we thought 1-1 but it carried on to spell out the truth, “ASTON VILLA ELEVEN CHARLTON ONE”. I don’t think he ever fully recovered from missing that one!

Our dad’s old Mosley school friend was Jim Hartley who later became Chairman of Villa for a short period and he was able to tell Rob where the team coach would stop en route to away fixtures. Rob and his mates were always there too and he wondered if the players ever thought, “Who are these guys!”

Through his illness he followed the team on the radio and I would visit and tell him what I thought of players and performances. I was always amazed by the astuteness of his thoughts and views and used them to anchor my often ‘knee-jerk reactions. I shall so miss that.

His legacy runs through his lovely daughter, Becky (Dumble), not just his Villa legacy but his whole self too.

RIP brother.