RIP Erod - | Page 2 | Vital Football

RIP Erod -

I've only just become aware of this very sad news today.

You could so easily see through his posts and particularly in the Memory Lane thread that Erod (Rob) had Claret & Blue blood running through his veins and I enjoyed it when he shared those passionate memories with us.

Rest in peace now Rob and my sincere condolences to his family and friends.

holte-enders-in-the-sky.jpg

Last edited:
I have only just seen this sad news. I have only posted on here for three years but in that time I have really enjoyed Erod s posts. I see that he is three years older than me and what always amazes me was his fantastic recall of events from around the time that I started to go down Villa Park.
Condolences to Erod s family.

Was sadly told today that Erod, real name Rob Dore, has passed away.

He was a regular on Vital Villa and what I'd call proper Villa, as well as a true gent.

I got to know him many years ago when doing the Ellis Out stuff and during my time on the committee, and latterly the Chairman, of the Aston Villa Shareholders Association. He was always a massive support in all that was done .

You would have to go a very long way to find a nicer guy, or a more die hard Villan. He would rarely talk about his ill health, he'd just want the latest gossip on what was going on at Villa.

Rest well my friend, you will be greatly missed.

And condolences to Wicked Messenger and Dumble.

I'm sure he's having a great catch up with Buck Chinn right now.

Holteender in the Sky.. :utv::utv::utv:

Was sadly told today that Erod, real name Rob Dore, has passed away.

He was a regular on Vital Villa and what I'd call proper Villa, as well as a true gent.

I got to know him many years ago when doing the Ellis Out stuff and during my time on the committee, and latterly the Chairman, of the Aston Villa Shareholders Association. He was always a massive support in all that was done .

You would have to go a very long way to find a nicer guy, or a more die hard Villan. He would rarely talk about his ill health, he'd just want the latest gossip on what was going on at Villa.

Rest well my friend, you will be greatly missed.

And condolences to Wicked Messenger and Dumble.

I'm sure he's having a great catch up with Buck Chinn right now.

Holteender in the Sky..
LinQIITu0KvmyKLCMYFqsMydaDVbrwHRertk44nrej1Duyyg6TuSpTEFWG5SLncmicb-PcCut-pYz-_WBHHKWXT7_GQkoq1cNcZok6GPnOrnvdXIYaPcDIl2SIbdghqALBzaz5EU
va4nLIlevaS4SJZJM-KqB2kSEtZxx7AUh3MNymlxQ47L0qj3ohcHlZ4RTIMcDu9G8aA7qtk-ssq30HMoDY3LmmF24dKgo4PD3P6M6EPwDu9kLr4X2Xoj02GM17HI_0xwySYoldTq
lpYKLsGYpyVXqrIYwPzGV5ow4Bxm1le7wNShQvFtCTRMOydkZXZg92q5Auuc2Uo-pMdYloQx2KIBi96OcovGeKDYwkQ6D9xQAPzTGp9P5rr6JbnG8l3OlsVgMzY-fj-DXZ_f-jmS

Thank you so much Jon for the lovely words, and the recounting of some great memories and happy times. And thanks to all of you for the very kind comments.

Erod, my lovely Dad, got me into Villa at a young age. I first attended VP with him when I was four, and I was immediately hooked - this was during the Big Ron era (hence my avatar - Dad wasn't keen on that kit but for some reason I liked it). I believe it was at this game that my Dad went on the pitch to claim a prize. I don’t recall how he won it, but he went onto the pitch to have his photo taken with a giant cheque, and I thought it was the best thing ever, “my Dad’s on the pitch!”

Such great Villa memories we’ve shared together, some that spring to mind: The 7-1 win over Wimbledon at VP; the league cup final in ‘96 - travelling there by coach with Carl Chinn at the front leading a rendition of Dwight Yorke Dwight Yorke; wearing hilariously long claret and blue hats and scarves knitted by my gran; a trip to Anfield on my birthday in which we won 3-1; standing on the Holte (me on top of a milk crate); fish n chips at Ali Baba's before the game in the van - amongst many other memories. I’m so lucky that he took me to so many games home and away, and I loved spending that time with him.

Something I will never forget (especially during the times when Villa were doing particularly badly) is how he always taught me to appreciate the other teams, and some of the great players that we were witnessing at Villa Park over the years - this was typical of Dad’s nature and allowed me to develop a good perspective on the game at a young age. He was a huge supporter of the Villa, it was in his blood, and he was also a true fan of the game of football. His knowledge (and amazing memory!) of Aston Villa stretched also to the game as a whole.

Too many great memories to post them all here of course.

I’m very grateful to be part of the Villa (and also Vital) family

Myself and my lovely Uncle (Peter/Wicked Messenger), have much to cherish.

RIP Dad.

x

One of my fond memories of your dad (all the association meetings aside as he was always a great contributor in those... I've let Carl C and Joh Holder know) was meeting him at Chutneys curry House in Stratford. I took a load of the old association letters, many by Buck. He lapped it up. But also remembered so much. The total opposite to me, brain aches he made my memory challenged!

But I also got the impression he didn't exactly frequent curry houses?! We had to go through the menu somewhat!

One of my fond memories of your dad (all the association meetings aside as he was always a great contributor in those... I've let Carl C and Joh Holder know) was meeting him at Chutneys curry House in Stratford. I took a load of the old association letters, many by Buck. He lapped it up. But also remembered so much. The total opposite to me, brain aches he made my memory challenged!

But I also got the impression he didn't exactly frequent curry houses?! We had to go through the menu somewhat!

Haha that's fabulous - I can just imagine it! Thanks for sharing that one, made me laugh, and thank you for letting CC and JH know.