RIP Alan Deakin. | Page 2 | Vital Football

RIP Alan Deakin.

Wicked Messenger - 3/1/2018 13:58

I've got an idea he was in the famous 5-5 draw at Spurs when we were 5-0 down at half time. I might be wrong...

I was at that match. Wonderful... 4-1 at half time, then 5-1, all over? Deakin scored to make it 5-2 and after that it was all us. Hateley actually scored one with his feet, which was unheard of. They just couldn't cope with him.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/great-games-tottenham-hotspur-5-181048

Villa since '63 - 4/1/2018 08:35

Typical Birmingham Mail, haven't done their homework. Villa' s keeper was Colin Withers, not Alan and "Billy" Hamilton was Willie Hamilton.
Nevertheless RIP Alan and best wishes to your family, you appeared in my first game in August '63 against Blackburn, the start of a long and sometimes tortuous road of being a Viila fan!

I was just behind you as my first visit to Villa Park was in November 1963 v Bolton Wanderers.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/aston-villa-v-bolton-wanderers-02-november-1963-77636/

RIP to a hero of my youth and condolences to his loved ones.

That reminds me, on that day I was at the Sty with my older brother whose best mate was a bluenose - it was quite common then to go to Villa and Blues in alternate weeks, a strange concept these days though - and we stood on the Tilton in the corner. Blues were playing, if I remember correctly, Bolton who won with a goal,by a young winger called Francis Lee, later of Man City and England fame. In those days the half time and full time scores came up on large scoreboards at the corner of the ground with letters representing a game and then numbers manually put, home team at the top and away at the bottom. Well it was Tottenham v Villa's turn, the top number was 4 and the bottom was 1, the cheers and laughs rang out loud from the happy bluenoses. Full time arrives, remember Blues have just lost.....again, and a 5 goes in the top...ah well we only conceded 1 in the second half, and it seemed an age for our score to come up , then what seemed a hastily made number 5 appeared to a stunned silence around the ground. We left open mouthed with shock desperately trying to find someone with a transistor radio to confirm the almost unbelievable!

I can't remember seeing Alan play but I was told that he was an exceptional player.

RIP Alan