Rhead in Limbo? | Vital Football

Rhead in Limbo?

Jules

Website Owner
Staff member
Matt Rhead is dividing opinion at the moment, rightly or wrongly. It seemed earlier this week when he handed in a transfer request that he was Barrow bound, especially after the interest from the Dallas owned minnows earlier in the season. The arrival of Ross Hannah had made it look like the big man wasn't required at Barrow, but with Andy Cook leaving to pursue a football league career appears to be an opening for a big forward. Or does there?

Barrow have also signed Richard Bennett, a 6ft striker from Northwich Victoria, and Lindon Meikle another forward from Alfreton. Rumours breaking today are that Barrow are now no longer in the chase for Matt Rhead, and that could leave him out on a limb with his transfer request. There's little doubt his stock seems to have fallen rapidly since he requested a move.

At first figures of £70-90k were thrown about, and Imps fans were rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of using that cash to bring in Akinola, Dayle Southwell or maybe even both. However as the week has gone on Rhead seems to have lost around £50k in value just by wanting to leave. Estimates today have him valued at £20k, but with Barrow looking likely to pull out of the race it just leaves Wrexham rumoured to be in for him. Barrow had the cash and might have been able to tempt him, but a move to Wrexham would be an uninspiring side step at best. There's no big investor there to pay over the odds for our immobile crown jewel, and unless Sean Newton has been in his ear I can't see the attraction for him.

So where does this leave Rheady now? We've already heard Kevin Cooke discuss the possibility of convincing him to stay at the club, are they offering him a generous route out of his self imposed exile? Has Matt handed his request in believing his mate Paul Cox would come and sweep him up in a blanket made of twenty pound notes? Has he now bee let down as Slimy Cox has realised those Dallas millions will buy him more than a thirty something striker with one decent season on his record?

If so I feel a bit for him, he acted properly at all times last season in the face of strong discussion over his future. He always gave what he could, that effort being limited by mobility and fitness. He scored good goals and around 60% of all the goals we scored involved him in some way. He didn't give up and slope off to some Conference North team for a few minutes football and he didn't backstab anybody when deciding his future this week. He's acted professionally and as a free transfer with over 20 goals to his name he doesn't owe us anything. However it now looks like he has been duped and left with nowhere really to go.

If the club have offered him an alternative route back then I don't believe it is a bad thing. Matt Rhead offers something we haven't had for a long time, a physicality and brute force to our attack. He can play a bit but is an effective weapon when introduced into a match. Opponents change their strategy when he is on the pitch and to have him as an option must be a good thing. I can't see how he'll lead the line singled handed next season, but if he were to stay then he'd be an asset all the same, especially if the rumours of Dayle Southwell coming in are to be believed.

Last time I wrote of a want-away players potential worth to the team he signed elsewhere the next day, so if Jules doesn't get this online tonight (Weds June 1st) you'll probably be reading old news. However if Matt Rhead is given a quiet route back into the fold then it should be applauded as he has acted with integrity throughout and I know he wouldn't change the amount of effort he puts into a game because (let's face it) at times it was minimal anyway. I've never known a 20 goal a season man put such little effort into his all round chasing and running. Mind you Matt Le Tissier was a lazy player and I'd have him in my team over any of the current England midfielders.

You can read more stuff like this over on my blog https://staceywestblog.wordpress.com/

<b>Article by Gary Hutchinson.</b>

http://www.lincolnshireecho.co.uk/Lincoln-City-persuade-transfer-listed-Matt-Rhead/story-29348486-detail/story.html

I wholeheartedly agree about Matt Le Tissier :) If only Hoddle and Venables were not so blind.

As for Rhead I think it is pretty obvious that if a decent offer doesn't come in he will be welcomed back into the gang with open arms however, he is unlikely to be first choice unless the Cowley's are thinking of utilising him to tie up a couple of players giving their tiki taka more room to play.

There is one glaring problem with all of this. Spend a couple of hours online reading up on Cowley, and it leaps out at you.

Everything you read about Danny Cowley's style of play - certainly during the last 5 years - emphasises that his teams play a pressing game, and that starts with a very mobile front two who run tirelessly for 90 minutes.

That isn't Matt Rhead, and it never will be.

If Cowley intends to replicate that same style at Lincoln, which I am sure he does, the only role left for Rhead is as an impact substitute for a few minutes when required. There will be no element of 'leading the line' because that will not be the shape. Unfortunately, Lincoln fans have become so accustomed to watching defenders wellying the ball 60 yards without it bouncing in the general direction of a lone striker that they have forgotten the existence of other options.

I think Cowley will be praying for Rhead to go because then he can use the money to sign the type of forward he likes: the mobile, lively type such as Ricky Miller (and, I hear, Dayle Southwell). I don't know about Akinola, as I haven't seen him play.

And has Matt Rhead shown integrity? I am not sure that is true either, considering that he has a two-year contract and shouldn't be considering going anywhere but Sobraon Barracks at the end of June. Sorry if you don't agree, but many years as an underwriter has left me with a deep respect for the sanctity (and privity) of contract law.

I like Matt Rhead, he has done a great job for us. But that was then, this is now; and now is where we have to be.

Interesting stance, Scotty.

Maybe, just maybe, if we do keep him, the Cowleys will get him somewhat fitter.

Scotimp - so it's okay for LCFC to put a contracted player on the transfer list or pay them off but not ok for a player to ask to be out on the transfer list? I'd argue a contract is not a prison and if either party is unhappy there are appropriate means to amend / cancel the contract to the satisfaction of both parties.

Loyalty is for friends and family. If a contract is involved the relationship is governed by the terms of that contract and the legislation surrounding it.

Skip155 - 2/6/2016 08:27

Scotimp - so it's okay for LCFC to put a contracted player on the transfer list or pay them off but not ok for a player to ask to be out on the transfer list? I'd argue a contract is not a prison and if either party is unhappy there are appropriate means to amend / cancel the contract to the satisfaction of both parties.

Loyalty is for friends and family. If a contract is involved the relationship is governed by the terms of that contract and the legislation surrounding it.

Very good point there, Skip; well argued.

I hope he can persuaded to stay. Getting fast proven goalscorer(s) to play alongside him would help as we saw with Hearn (when fit and on fire)

57harry - 2/6/2016 11:18

I hope he can persuaded to stay. Getting fast proven goalscorer(s) to play alongside him would help as we saw with Hearn (when fit and on fire)

Absolutely correct. I can just see Dayle Southwell banging 'em in thanks to Rheady (in my dreams, anyway!)

That is a common fallacy - it is not the same thing at all because it is not the same type of contract. Working for Tesco and Asda are not governed by term contracts: their contracts say you can leave provided you give them the stipulated period of notice, but a footballer cannot simply walk out of a club giving 30 days' notice. One type of contract allows for that, the other prevents it. Not simples, then.

As a writer, I accept commissions for certain writing jobs; I do not abandon a job mid-term because another job has come up that will pay me more money. I could do that, if I wanted to pay some compensation as the contract may permit, but why do I not do that? It's called integrity, and I have built my professional life on it. If I promise to do something, I do it.

Incidentally, I heard that a certain manager refused to talk to Leeds United a couple of weeks ago because they already had a manager in situ. That's integrity too.

And a prison? If you don't want to be bound by a contract, don't sign it in the first place.

57harry - 2/6/2016 11:18

That isn't the way the Cowleys play, though - they use two quick strikers who press constantly and run their hearts out for 90 minutes. You are talking about a completely different style of play - playing with a target man - which the Cowleys don't do. The two styles are incompatible.

Scotimp - 2/6/2016 11:33

That is a common fallacy - it is not the same thing at all because it is not the same type of contract. Working for Tesco and Asda are not governed by term contracts: their contracts say you can leave provided you give them the stipulated period of notice, but a footballer cannot simply walk out of a club giving 30 days' notice. One type of contract allows for that, the other prevents it. Not simples, then.

As a writer, I accept commissions for certain writing jobs; I do not abandon a job mid-term because another job has come up that will pay me more money. I could do that, if I wanted to pay some compensation as the contract may permit, but why do I not do that? It's called integrity, and I have built my professional life on it. If I promise to do something, I do it.

Incidentally, I heard that a certain manager refused to talk to Leeds United a couple of weeks ago because they already had a manager in situ. That's integrity too.

And a prison? If you don't want to be bound by a contract, don't sign it in the first place.

And your thoughts on LCFC not honouring all contracts to the end of their term? Different rules apply?

another factor may be that rhead signed his contract under moyses. i know his allegiance should be to the club, but there are many examples of players who sign for, and feel their allegiance is to a particular manager rather than a club.

alex woodyard - at concord rangers, and then at braintree - for example.

according to the echo rhead also handed in his transfer request soon after moyses decision to leave, and before cowley was appointed - so our new style of play doesn't come into it.

Skip155 - 2/6/2016 11:44

And your thoughts on LCFC not honouring all contracts to the end of their term? Different rules apply?

No Skip, the same rules apply.

Skip155 - 2/6/2016 11:44

If a mutually acceptable way to bring a contract to an early termination cannot be found, both LCFC and players have honour them. That bit is simple. A player can be put on a transfer list and an offer accepted, but if the player does not agree terms they stay.

I think it depends on how fluid the formation is. Lots of teams that press high use what we would term as languid or immobile strikers. Pressing doesn't mean running non stop. It means reacting quickly and anticipating quickly. Also the press normally means midfielders pushing on and pressing and may go past the strikers in doing so. They can take it in turns.

Look at Saints with Lambert then Pelle. Leicester with Ulloa.

Playing the pressing team means pressing from the front but quite often the ball is won by a midfielder pressing when the striker has put the press on the first player.

Pochetino does the same at Tottenham. Kane doesn't run constantly he just puts the pressure on and the midfielders get the ball earlier.

I am sure someone like Rhead could easily do a "vanarama level" version of what Pelle does.