Retained & Released: | Page 2 | Vital Football

Retained & Released:

The fact that both Jones and Evans were offered new deals confirms my fear that LR sees Jones as his number one next season. In which case we can kiss goodbye to any hopes of promotion. He will cost us too many points.

Aye well, given that you had us down as relegation certainties in the New Year, forgive us if we take your prediction with a handful of Saxa.

:rolleyes:

Massey is like that turd that won’t flush and an expensive one at that. However, if I was in his position I would do the same. He’ll never have another contract this lucrative in his career, so anyone would make the most of it. It’s really going to hurt us though, his contract will prevent us pushing the boat out for any targets LR wants where we’ll be competing with other clubs.

The fact that both Jones and Evans were offered new deals confirms my fear that LR sees Jones as his number one next season. In which case we can kiss goodbye to any hopes of promotion. He will cost us too many points.

Let’s see who accepts from the deals offered and go from there.
We do not know if the new contract matches the contract that will end in July

Massey is like that turd that won’t flush and an expensive one at that. However, if I was in his position I would do the same. He’ll never have another contract this lucrative in his career, so anyone would make the most of it. It’s really going to hurt us though, his contract will prevent us pushing the boat out for any targets LR wants where we’ll be competing with other clubs.

Let’s see who accepts from the deals offered and go from there.
Is promotion really the aim next year? After what we have been through and the rebuilding job we are expecting this season. I would be happy with a nice mid table finish where we are never looking over our shoulders. We have not had that since Bruce In prem.

Is promotion really the aim next year? After what we have been through and the rebuilding job we are expecting this season. I would be happy with a nice mid table finish where we are never looking over our shoulders. We have not had that since Bruce In prem.
Of course it is otherwise why waste money taking over a football club? You aren’t making any money in a 25k seater stadium playing L1 football that’s for sure. Whether they achieve it or not is another matter but they’ll certainly be targeting it.

If the new owners’ idea of fun was to languish around the EFL doldrums for the next five years and beyond, then the likes of Dan Gardner would have gotten a new contract.

Of course it is otherwise why waste money taking over a football club? You aren’t making any money in a 25k seater stadium playing L1 football that’s for sure. Whether they achieve it or not is another matter but they’ll certainly be targeting it.

If the new owners’ idea of fun was to languish around the EFL doldrums for the next five years and beyond, then the likes of Dan Gardner would have gotten a new contract.
Who says do it for the next five years? I mean mid table would be a big improvement next year and could be used as a spring board to a promotion push the year after. In jewell first season we finished tenth and then walked the league a year later. I just reckon a mid table finish would not be a failure next year especially with some of the other teams about and considering what we are rebuilding from after administration.

They will be under contract until July

Doesn't matter, you can start talks with players at any club with less than 6 months remaining and sign a deal starting the day after their current one finishes.

Collins at Luton for example - he's signed for Cardiff but he is still going to be paid by Luton for another month when his deal expires.

Challenging for the play offs will be the aim for certain. You don't even need to be that good or consistent to be in the mix as league is generally quite open and a good run shoots you up the league very fast. We might not finish in the top 6 but we should be at least looking to be in the equation. if we never get anywhere near the play offs it will probably be a disappointing level of performance on the field.

The club has just confirmed it's retained list

Darikwa, Dodoo, Lee Evans, Owen Evans, Jones, Joseph, Keane, Merrie and Viv offered extensions

Clough, Gardner, Perry and Whelan all leave.

Massey is under contract for another year. So we must have activated an extension option.

I'm surprised we've opted to keep Massey but other than that largely as expected. Although personally i expected Gardener would be retained and Owen Evans would be let go.

Full article below
Wigan Athletic FC - 2020-21 Retained List

It does answer the question we debated on the other thread. LR obviously rates Evans and has retained him. I still think that JJ will retain the No1 shirt initially next season with the intention of OE being introduced once the side has settled .

On the question of Massey's contract extension, I think this could be that the club have triggered the one year extension to enable them to get a return on him from a possible sale. Had we not extended the contract he could have left on a free after July whereas now there is the possibility of a sale or if not he remains as a player, and possibly a useful one at L1 level.

It does answer the question we debated on the other thread. LR obviously rates Evans and has retained him. I still think that JJ will retain the No1 shirt initially next season with the intention of OE being introduced once the side has settled .

On the question of Massey's contract extension, I think this could be that the club have triggered the one year extension to enable them to get a return on him from a possible sale. Had we not extended the contract he could have left on a free after July whereas now there is the possibility of a sale or if not he remains as a player, and possibly a useful one at L1 level.
Kendrick reporting that Massey triggered the extension - given he would never have got a better deal anywhere given his injury history you can't blame him tbh - question is will he put in any effort or (again) completely take the piss out of our club again next season 🤔

Kendrick reporting that Massey triggered the extension - given he would never have got a better deal anywhere given his injury history you can't blame him tbh - question is will he put in any effort or (again) completely take the piss out of our club again next season 🤔

Why is being injured taking the piss ?

I would be very concerned if Jones goes into next season as no1 and find it bizarre that Evans was suddenly pushed ahead of him after being behind him through all the mistakes. I am hoping the pair are being kept as 2nd and 3rd choice and we sign a more reliable first choice there are some excellent keepers available on a free.

There is zero chance of selling Massey, hardly anyone has any money to pay fees, and if a club did have some cash to spend you'd not use it on a player who's had about 3 good games in 2 years. If we wanted rid we'd have released him to free up his wages. I think the only explanation if the club triggering an extension is Richardson thinks he can get something out of him.

I would be very concerned if Jones goes into next season as no1 and find it bizarre that Evans was suddenly pushed ahead of him after being behind him through all the mistakes. I am hoping the pair are being kept as 2nd and 3rd choice and we sign a more reliable first choice there are some excellent keepers available on a free.

There is zero chance of selling Massey, hardly anyone has any money to pay fees, and if a club did have some cash to spend you'd not use it on a player who's had about 3 good games in 2 years. If we wanted rid we'd have released him to free up his wages. I think the only explanation if the club triggering an extension is Richardson thinks he can get something out of him.
It's Massey who has triggered it not the club re Kendrick.
Whoever put that option in wants throwing off the canal bridge