Retained & Released: | Vital Football

Retained & Released:

The club has just confirmed it's retained list

Darikwa, Dodoo, Lee Evans, Owen Evans, Jones, Joseph, Keane, Merrie and Viv offered extensions

Clough, Gardner, Perry and Whelan all leave.

Massey is under contract for another year. So we must have activated an extension option.

I'm surprised we've opted to keep Massey but other than that largely as expected. Although personally i expected Gardener would be retained and Owen Evans would be let go.

Full article below
Wigan Athletic FC - 2020-21 Retained List

Gavin Massey is a leech, fuck him off thats if anyone is daft or desperate enough to take him, hate the guy with a vengeance!

That goes for that bloke that stands in between the sticks (literally)

Gavin Massey is a leech, fuck him off thats if anyone is daft or desperate enough to take him, hate the guy with a vengeance!

When does your Motivational & Inspirations course finish then T&C? Or is it due to finish around the same time as your Personality & Leadership seminar?? 😉😂

Nothing really shocking or stand out from that, just confirmation we offered deals to the players I felt warranted, although a shame for Perry.

I imagine it won't be the last of Johnston, Tilt, and Ojo. Got a good small group to build around now.

More importantly Jospeh and Carragher offered contracts, extremely important if we want to start making money from player sales.

So you would prefer me to be pissed off rather than your so called club doing well next season, you're a joke pal!

Who said the club won't be doing well? I think both Massey and Jones have lots to offer.

Obviously, the blokes who see and work with them every day think so too.

Massey creating/scoring goals, Jones stopping em at the other end, Latics doing great, you wanting to be pissed off but not really able to be........ can't bloody wait.

Nothing really shocking or stand out from that, just confirmation we offered deals to the players I felt warranted, although a shame for Perry.

I imagine it won't be the last of Johnston, Tilt, and Ojo. Got a good small group to build around now.

More importantly Jospeh and Carragher offered contracts, extremely important if we want to start making money from player sales.

I believe Ojo and Johnston are both out of contract at the current clubs so i'm sure they will be in negotiations with us. Tilt will depend on Rotherham but i'm certain we'll be talking to them about seeing what we can do. I wouldn't want Wooton, but it wouldn't shock me if we offered him a deal either.

We all know there is a player in Massey, we started to see a little bit of that finally coming back before he got injured again - if Richardson thinks he can get the best out of him then he could be an asset again. I wont hold my breath but he's not a complete lost cause.

Jones is very mistake prone and i'd not be happy with him being our number 1 next season - but i don't think he will be. If we are keeping Owen Evans then it implies we must have faith that he can come good - so Jones might even be 3rd choice. Good keepers cost and want to play, in L1 you aren't likely to have a top keeper warming your bench - so Jones as a 2nd or 3rd choice is probably equal to anything else you are going to get. We aren't going to want to waist our limited budget signing back up keepers when we probably want to use it to get the best possible first choice.

I probably wouldn't have kept either but i understand why they have been offered new deals and i'm not that upset about it.

I believe Ojo and Johnston are both out of contract at the current clubs so i'm sure they will be in negotiations with us. Tilt will depend on Rotherham but i'm certain we'll be talking to them about seeing what we can do. I wouldn't want Wooton, but it wouldn't shock me if we offered him a deal either.

I'll be very dissapointed if we offered Wooton a deal, I thank him for coming but he was average, we need to move on now from sentimental signings (same with Gardner) as it's a new story and our first transfer window under AlJasmi. Back to normality now, thank god!

Not yet we haven't. Lots been offered, yet to hear of anyone accepting. At the moment we have 6 contracted players.
Agree it's a positive move on our side, but still need the players to accept.

Very true, got alot of time to rebuild our squad though regardless, but in sure LR and Mal and co want answers sooner rather than later. Thank god there is a euros this summer

Massey is like that turd that won’t flush and an expensive one at that. However, if I was in his position I would do the same. He’ll never have another contract this lucrative in his career, so anyone would make the most of it. It’s really going to hurt us though, his contract will prevent us pushing the boat out for any targets LR wants where we’ll be competing with other clubs.

The fact that both Jones and Evans were offered new deals confirms my fear that LR sees Jones as his number one next season. In which case we can kiss goodbye to any hopes of promotion. He will cost us too many points.

Let’s see who accepts from the deals offered and go from there.

That is such an offensive statement about two Wigan Athletic players, who have contributed hugely in our recent history.

Do you have some kind of personality disorder?

They will be under contract until July