Respecting the FA Cup | Vital Football

Respecting the FA Cup

Kevin sheldon

Vital Youth Team
The euphoria of Monday May take a while to die down and to me the game that had everything might never have happened due to managers not picking their best teams. We should have been home and hosed in the cup match at Fyld but the FA Cup being what it is Fylde managed to scrape a draw.
I predicted a comfortable home victory in the reply yet a considerably weakened team led to a good chance of an early exit. 9 minutes to go enter Will Grigg who more than stamped his mark with two goals.
The point being had Cook picked his full strength team then Fylde would have been comfortably beatenwithout the late drama. I am in the school of play your best team then take them off.
Clearly a weakened team nearly denied us the joy of what is unfolding and it miles better than league games. Ps for those whose say we want this every week its not quite the same in the same league and even an upset is not quite the same.
I don't talk about famous victories in the Premier league quite as much as I thought I would.
I still talk about the cup final 2013 and I was definitely impressed by Bournemouth away. I loved the Bournemouth home game and the West Ham game. Monday night for me was the game that had everything and now my favourite match at the DW for all the reasons well documented.
However, all of this may not have happened due to the Fyle weakened team selection.
I am old school on this FA Cup play your best team. I think a winning team creates momentum and we don't lose the odd match because we are tired. We lose the odd match because everyone loses the odd match even man city.
The enjoyment received already from this cup run in my book vindicates playing the strongest team in each round to get on such a run. Personally, I want to believe and quite happy to prioritise the FA Cup. I am quite happy to toss off the league as not fussed about the championship. About from the first time under Jewell not enjoyed it anyway.
I did not believe in 2013 but I do now. Yes the odds are still stacked against us but I can see us beating if focused a relegation threatened Southampton who might be forced to weaken their team due to the need to try and stay in the greed league. I fancy Leicester in the semi and then being written off in the final before a late Grigg header.
Yes I might be dreaming but allowed too now but won't be dreaming or arsed about promotion to the championship.

I agree with all of this Kevin except your view on promotion.
All sport is about trying to achieve success, trying to be better. If you can't be arsed about promotion why bother at all? Apart from the obvious enjoyment of winning a title or gaining promotion, the Championship has some good fixtures that bring with them occasions worth savouring. The football is better and the prize is greater, I'd much prefer to be stuck in that division that league one. I don't believe our future is dependant on promotion as the money is only at the top, but league one is dreadful and the biggest benefit of being in it is being able to win it.

The league is the most important for any club, it provides the greatest test and identifies the best team over this marathon with its many twists, turns and nuances. It's like comparing test cricket to a t20. The latter is great in its own right but the tests provide the ultimate contest.

I'm certainly not for 'tossing off the league', though you may wanna slip a couple of efl suits your number if what I hear is correct. Each to their own and all that. The league is the priority, as it is for every club as provides sustainability and growth for the club and individual players should one be successful in it. It should be for every supporter and hopefully those that crawled from the woodwork on Monday will realise that live football is fantastic and that this team deserves a greater audience which should enhance its chance of success to move nearer to playing better teams week in week out.

Yes Kev but some of us have the attention span of a daddy long legs...the last big game is the best etc etc.

And seriously you think it was the game that had everything. 18% possession and a backs against the wall defend for 90 minutes with us having 1 shot on target ( albeit in the onion bag ) . Not my idea of a game that had everything. It was marvelously superb in an Alamo or Roukes Drift kind of way but to class it better than the Arsenal or WHU or Man U or Newcastle demolition is just plain daft.

Edit...its Rorke's but you get the drift.

For me, the quality of football in the Championship wasn't that much better than what we see in League 1 ........ but there's then the lure of the Premier League, where we can aspire to finish in 17th each season.

Don't get me wrong, I'm with henski insomuch as we should always aspire to improve ourselves, go up the leagues, better our position, but the Cup deserves our attention too. The elation of those 3 wins vs City (and of course the 10 minutes against Everton) was amazing.

To win it once was unbelievable, but to win it twice is inconceivable .................. or is it ?

henski - 24/2/2018 07:13

All sport is about trying to achieve success, trying to be better. If you can't be arsed about promotion why bother at all?

corect

Made in Wigan - 24/2/2018 08:15

The league is the priority, as it is for every club as provides sustainability and growth for the club and individual players should one be successful in it. It should be for every supporter and hopefully those that crawled from the woodwork on Monday will realise that live football is fantastic and that this team deserves a greater audience which should enhance its chance of success to move nearer to playing better teams week in week out.

corect

hindleymonwafc - 24/2/2018 08:47

Edit...its Rorke's but you get the drift.

corect

henski - 24/2/2018 07:13

I agree with all of this Kevin except your view on promotion.
All sport is about trying to achieve success, trying to be better. If you can't be arsed about promotion why bother at all? Apart from the obvious enjoyment of winning a title or gaining promotion, the Championship has some good fixtures that bring with them occasions worth savouring. The football is better and the prize is greater, I'd much prefer to be stuck in that division that league one. I don't believe our future is dependant on promotion as the money is only at the top, but league one is dreadful and the biggest benefit of being in it is being able to win it.

You've obviously forgotten, or don't remember our time in non-league football.
Yes the standard of football is less than PL and Championship (more so the officiating) but each level of football has its good points. To say L1 is dreadful is disrespectful to all the teams and players below the Championship. Whatever level we play at it is our team that plays there and if anything fans in L1 & L2 are more passionate and deserve higher praise than many of their counterparts in Ch and PL

Although the city game was fantastic result and got us talked about again we won’t win it this time around imo the other sides left are better than last time around and we are not as good as we were back then that’s not to say we can’t beat Southampton but to go all the way is beyond us .....it is it moonay ? The league is always the priority win that then standards rise and more exposure in the media and maybe more bums on seats . It’s good even talking promotion and the fa cup in the same season .