Resignation | Vital Football

Resignation

Odious little creature, so no great loss. Methinks more shit going on within Bolton than we know about and they are in big trouble. Rather Bury survived than them.

It would not surprise me if they try to get their match against Ipswich scheduled for Saturday called off. They know the EFL will let them get away with it. Never liked Bolton - always have an air of Billy big boots about them because of their dim and distant fame when they have been in this league before and having to slum it with the likes of us, Accy, Fleetwood etc. Perhaps some chickens coming home to roost?

If both clubs go that is almost 10% of our 2018/19 games and income down the toilet.
Programs, food, tickets, lottery, merch, matchday exoeriences etc etc.
For selfish reasons alone we should all want both clubs to survive.

It would not surprise me if they try to get their match against Ipswich scheduled for Saturday called off. They know the EFL will let them get away with it. Never liked Bolton - always have an air of Billy big boots about them because of their dim and distant fame when they have been in this league before and having to slum it with the likes of us, Accy, Fleetwood etc. Perhaps some chickens coming home to roost?

Fully agree, have posted similar myself before. Under Allerdyce their fans were absolute arseholes. Much prefer Bury.

Instead of a four in 24 chance of getting relegated (1 in 6), if Bolton and Bury go that reduces the chances to 2 in 22 (1 in 11). However, it will have a knock on effect on tje rest of the pyramid, two extra clubs will need to be accepted to the FL for 2020/21 so probably no relegation from League 2 this year?

I feel for the fans but both Bolton and Bury have clearly overstretched themselves.

In the case of Bolton the debt probably mounted up because they gave long contracts, beyond the parachute payments expiry, to high earners from their Premier days.

In the case of Bury, they put together a squad that gained promotion last year which makes me guess they were exceeding their budget so it is difficult to sympathise with the owner. Fans are beyond gutted though and I can not blame them.

Instead of a four in 24 chance of getting relegated (1 in 6), if Bolton and Bury go that reduces the chances to 2 in 22 (1 in 11). However, it will have a knock on effect on tje rest of the pyramid, two extra clubs will need to be accepted to the FL for 2020/21 so probably no relegation from League 2 this year?
The League have said that if Bury are expelled only 3 will go down from League 1. To make the numbers up next season 4 would still need to come up from League 2. So the options would be to have 3 come up from the conference or only one to go down from League 2. Given the views of the conference I suspect the league would go for 3 up.

I saw a clip today that Macclesfield have also been served with a winding up order. Is that true anyone heard?

I think things are going to get a lot worse.

Ominous. Bit of a "to do" at Bury FC today too, with stroppy fans seemingly trying to force the club`s office door to get at someone. Sad.

With the transfer window is about to shut.Players are possibly no longer prepared to play for Bolton .With no money coming in and no move possible before the next window if they keep playing. That being still the case in a few days it is hard to see a way Bolton can keep playing short of a major change in events.
I would guess that Bury are much in the same boat too.The rules would stop anyone moving who played after the end of the window.Thus unless a player is paid in full it is a real problem.

Last edited:
It's been well documented Scally is one of the highest earners Chairman wise in the football league...Gills haven't spent a transfer on a player since Simeon Jackson about ten years ago I think?....300k a year Scally pays himself...do you think he's worth that?...the situation at both Bury and Bolton is terrible but that doesn't mean Gills are being run fantastically because those clubs are run awfully....you've got an example of just two worse owners in the entire football league...

Scally has achieved some great moments for Gillingham in the past but the club is stagnating. I think attendances tell you that.

Believe it or not we paid a fee for Conor Wilkinson ? and Luke Norris, though we made money on his move away from us

It's been well documented Scally is one of the highest earners Chairman wise in the football league..

But isn’t it also well documented that he’s about the only owner/chairman who basically runs the whole club as a primary full time role.

I think most of the other “chairmen” are part time roles, or persons with multiple other paying jobs, or are one of multiple chairmen/boardpersons at the same club etc.

Need to compare apples with apples.

And it’s not just Bolton and Bury in big trouble with sh!t owners. I think there are many clubs teetering on the edge.