Resignation | Page 2 | Vital Football

Resignation

It's been well documented Scally is one of the highest earners Chairman wise in the football league...Gills haven't spent a transfer on a player since Simeon Jackson about ten years ago I think?....300k a year Scally pays himself...do you think he's worth that?...the situation at both Bury and Bolton is terrible but that doesn't mean Gills are being run fantastically because those clubs are run awfully....you've got an example of just two worse owners in the entire football league...

Scally has achieved some great moments for Gillingham in the past but the club is stagnating. I think attendances tell you that.

Over £400k actually including £90k loan according to last accounts. Plus expenses on top of that!

It's been well documented Scally is one of the highest earners Chairman wise in the football league...Gills haven't spent a transfer on a player since Simeon Jackson about ten years ago I think?....300k a year Scally pays himself...do you think he's worth that?...the situation at both Bury and Bolton is terrible but that doesn't mean Gills are being run fantastically because those clubs are run awfully....you've got an example of just two worse owners in the entire football league...

Scally has achieved some great moments for Gillingham in the past but the club is stagnating. I think attendances tell you that.
Simeon jackson? Youre having a laugh.

As someones mentioned below, we even spent money on norris and connor wheeliebin.

Add to that whelpdale and lee who were over a hundred k i think at the time...and a few others at that time also. We just havnt paid a significant fee for a single player since SJ.

Over £400k actually including £90k loan according to last accounts. Plus expenses on top of that!
That is not payment to him - it's a loan. By the definition of a loan, it has to be paid back.

Next year if he pays himself 300k again, but pays back the loan, will you credit him for only taking 210k and reducing his salary by 90k? Of course not.

Add to that whelpdale and lee who were over a hundred k i think at the time...and a few others at that time also. We just havnt paid a significant fee for a single player since SJ.

that season we paid around £250k in fees. As well as Lee and Whelpdale, we also signed Danny Kedwell and Adam Birchall. It shouldn't have been a huge surprise that Hessenthaler got fired for failing to reach the playoffs considering the huge outlay in fees.

That season was the last season we paid out serious money in transfer fees and have since paid various undisclosed fees of probable token amounts since. On the other hand, as we have seen under Edinburgh, we have at various times signed players for free but on high wages.

That is not payment to him - it's a loan. By the definition of a loan, it has to be paid back.

Next year if he pays himself 300k again, but pays back the loan, will you credit him for only taking 210k and reducing his salary by 90k? Of course not.

Hopefully he will, I will Believe it when I see it. I wonder why the £311k consultancy fee wasn’t enough?

The money he’s taken out of the club over the years is far at odds with the general budget and size of the club. Only the Sunderland Chairman paid himself more in our league.

In the case of Bolton the debt probably mounted up because they gave long contracts, beyond the parachute payments expiry, to high earners from their Premier days.
That's partly the case but parachute payments ended about six years ago. It wasn't just that. Read a bit and the club relied heavily on TV income, 75% of its revenues in the top flight, so after the drop from the PL the rot set in. More and more debt at ridiculous interest rates and crowds of only just over 20,000 and we know the rest.
In the case of Bury, they put together a squad that gained promotion last year which makes me guess they were exceeding their budget so it is difficult to sympathise with the owner. Fans are beyond gutted though and I can not blame them.
Like many other clubs Bury was always struggling and some might remember Neville Neville [father of the Nevilles] helped bale them out. The the club was bought by Day who mortgaged the ground at very high interest rates - highly paid players went but not the crippling debt. Day sold the club to asset stripper, Dale, who compounded the financial problems and againwe know the rest.

The only club in the area it seems that has got its act together is Burnley, apart from the two Manchester giants. Others in the area all struggle to make ends meet with such a high concentration of clubs in the area and Bury and Bolton about six miles apart have effectively failed.

To be fair Bromley, I agree that £300 K a year probably exceeds Scally's worth as the chairman.
But, as the owner, he can really pay himself what he wants.

I'm self employed but run on zero debt and no overdraft.
I only get paid out of profits while ensuring there is always plenty of working capital.

I could take all of the money out, don't pay my suppliers and sail off into the sunset.
But, that's not the right way to do things.

Scally was paying himself a large salary while the club was in serious debt.
In other words, the bank was paying his mortgage and living costs.

Now the club is in profit , as a business, I suppose his wages are legitimate.

Do you think our chairman is worth 300k a year though? The gripe is he's actually given himself a pay rise over recent years while Lovell was given peanuts to put a squad together, how is that fair?

How much would it take for some supporters to actually think they're being taken for mugs here, Scally taking 500k or a million a year? It's ridiculous.
Whether hes worth it is a completely different discussion all together. You've mistaken me correcting the OP with me supporting his actual salary. If we are going to criticise his salary at least make it based on actual figures not jumped up exagerations. As ive always said about scally and scally haters...he does enough wrong...you dont have to make up or exagerate his misdemeanors to get a valid argument against him...yet so many will just exagerate and invent things to criticise him on. The loan being one thing for example.

According to an accountancy wonk from Liverpool University, his name escapes me. He said on Radio Kent that Paul Scally runs a very sound club, and The Gills are one of best run clubs(financially) in the EFL lower leagues. Maybe he's actually earning his money.

According to an accountancy wonk from Liverpool University, his name escapes me. He said on Radio Kent that Paul Scally runs a very sound club, and The Gills are one of best run clubs(financially) in the EFL lower leagues. Maybe he's actually earning his money.
We have hundreds of not thousands of fans who don't go regularly because of Scally.Definitely value for money.:help:

Not quite sure that is 100% accurate Chris.
Unless of course you you personally know hundreds or possibly thousands who can prove it otherwise.

A point also made by Darren Macanthony at Peterborough.

Not quite sure that is 100% accurate Chris.
Unless of course you you personally know hundreds or possibly thousands who can prove it otherwise.
I of course don't know hundreds but given my few contacts who still have a feeling for the club and most if not all give Scally as their reason for not going. I except that many would not go anyway. But it remains that many do not go even if we show good form.I do believe that Scally has lost a large number of fans for all sorts of reasons.

You could equally argue Chris, no Scally, no GFC.
Cast your mind back to those dismal days when we were minutes from winding up.
Without Scally, we may well have become AFC Gillingham.

Did MaCanthony and Jordan make those comments when we were £13m in debt or after our debt restructuring. How can you run a very sound business yet get it into £13m of debt? Since our restructuring we don't have a pot to piss in and PS has had to run the business on what we can afford, not what we can borrow, hence the quality on the pitch compared to before.