Votes: 2 28.6%
  • £50 for the cheapest one is more than enough

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • I wouldn’t buy any football jersey

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

Trev_GFC

Vital 1st Team Regular
TL/DR: many clubs, particularly those with kits provided by Nike, now offer two different quality of shirts: one knock-off replica at normal price, and another which the players wear and is sold at an eye-watering markup. Do you like this idea?

Personally I’ve not bothered buying a football shirt in years, as I feel I’m just too old and fat to wear a sweaty, clingy football shirt. Besides, with our weather you’d have to spend 3/4 of the year wearing it over a hoodie or something. Give me a decent polo shirt over a jersey 👍

But I’ve noticed this growing trend over the years of selling two different quality kits. I’ve noticed for years Gills fans moaning that the shirt they’ve been buying isn’t nearly the same as the one on the mannequin in the shop!

I first saw it when buying Carolina Panthers replicas back when I lived over there nearly 15 years ago, I didn’t know back then there were two different kits. The replica is a shit mesh thing, it’s like wearing one of those vests you see in Rab C Nesbitt. Now they’re better.

I bought new shirt this season from the club shop as I often do. My wife asked how many I had got and I said 6 or 7.
I counted and have 12 including one with all ST holders names on it, A polo shirt that I bought for golf but have never worn on a course. 6 other various home shirts and a 2nd hand 'Kool' one. The rest are assorted away colours.
All authentic. No replicas.
I would love a 1970's replica shirt but otherwise I've had to admit to myself that 12 football shirts is way too many for a 60 something bloke, so that's me done on buying anymore.*

*Might buy a jacket or something though!

I bought new shirt this season from the club shop as I often do. My wife asked how many I had got and I said 6 or 7.
I counted and have 12 including one with all ST holders names on it, A polo shirt that I bought for golf but have never worn on a course. 6 other various home shirts and a 2nd hand 'Kool' one. The rest are assorted away colours.
All authentic. No replicas.
I would love a 1970's replica shirt but otherwise I've had to admit to myself that 12 football shirts is way too many for a 60 something bloke, so that's me done on buying anymore.*

*Might buy a jacket or something though!

Never got a Gills shirt all the time I was there. Not even sure they were a “thing” much back in the 70’s and 80’s were they? Don’t think anyone I knew wore one to games from memory. Except maybe the kids.

But since I’ve lived in Oz I’ve got around 7 or 8 various Shirts and polos. Including the Red MEMS Championship one from 2013, a “Kool” one, a MHS blue with white sleeves, a GFC Leisure and multiple polos.

They get an airing whenever I go to football over here. Saw Man U play in Sydney against an Aus XI. Me parading around Sydney with a Gills top on that weekend was a nice talking point. A lot of “Who’s that then? Chelsea?”

I've got quite a few Gills shirts. I used to wear them for football training when I played ( I retired from footy at 60). Now I just wear them gardening. Easy to wash out no ironing just fold up and tuck away

Personally, I only really wear classic retro Gills (and England) shirts these days. They’re timeless. I don’t go for the official ones at places like Toffs or Scoredraw as they are overpriced and don’t usually have the kit sponsor badge. I shop online and largely overseas where there are plenty of places you can pick up cracking retro with all the right badges and sponsors for £20-£35. I’ve got a number of Zanussi, Chatham Maritime, Bukta, Ribera and an adidas Gills shirt and and several England ones - from admiral 82, to the Umbro ones of 86, 90 and 98.

I occasionally get a current Gills shirt when they knock them off at the end of the season for 20 quid or less, if I like the shirt, but won’t get fleeced by paying 40 quid plus for a shirt.

TL/DR: many clubs, particularly those with kits provided by Nike, now offer two different quality of shirts: one knock-off replica at normal price, and another which the players wear and is sold at an eye-watering markup. Do you like this idea?

Personally I’ve not bothered buying a football shirt in years, as I feel I’m just too old and fat to wear a sweaty, clingy football shirt. Besides, with our weather you’d have to spend 3/4 of the year wearing it over a hoodie or something. Give me a decent polo shirt over a jersey 👍

But I’ve noticed this growing trend over the years of selling two different quality kits. I’ve noticed for years Gills fans moaning that the shirt they’ve been buying isn’t nearly the same as the one on the mannequin in the shop!

I first saw it when buying Carolina Panthers replicas back when I lived over there nearly 15 years ago, I didn’t know back then there were two different kits. The replica is a shit mesh thing, it’s like wearing one of those vests you see in Rab C Nesbitt. Now they’re better.

The difference in quality is huge. The basic ones are probably okay for you guys to be honest.

I've a dozen or more that I mainly wear cycling although I often take one to games these days I tend to put it on when in Gillingham.
I've not bought this years offerings as things are tight financially.Although I have often waited and bought at the stage they are reduced and will probably do so again.
We could make more of the replica kits in house given that the 60s kits were warmer than today's they would have a appeal if made in a similar fabric to the originals.

"sweaty, clingy football shirt."
I'm glad its not just me !
A "sweaty" polyester shirt with printing doesn't seem worth even a tenner !

Instead I bought a Gills' badged T-shirt and polo shirt - both 100% cotton and comfortable.
It's just a pity they are white and navy respectively (rather than royal blue).

"sweaty, clingy football shirt."
I'm glad its not just me !
A "sweaty" polyester shirt with printing doesn't seem worth even a tenner !

Instead I bought a Gills' badged T-shirt and polo shirt - both 100% cotton and comfortable.
It's just a pity they are white and navy respectively (rather than royal blue).
Bought one for my brother who lives in Ireland. Miles too small for him so he gave it to his daughter. Then they were out of stock for lord knows how long. Not worth buying another one now and I’m not sure I’d buy one with this shirt supplier in the future

Shirts are pretty nasty and smell rank quickly, I bought one once and rarely wore it. I agree with Tarian on materials and do buy other iiems. I'd pay for something thicker and warmer in the style of a club shirt, a hoodie even.

Bought one for my brother who lives in Ireland. Miles too small for him so he gave it to his daughter. Then they were out of stock for lord knows how long. Not worth buying another one now and I’m not sure I’d buy one with this shirt supplier in the future

Is that the Macron ones?

With sizing, you simply check the macron website size chart, not the usual size ( Nike, Adidas) that you think you are.

Is that the Macron ones?

With sizing, you simply check the macron website size chart, not the usual size ( Nike, Adidas) that you think you are.
But the sizes are so ridiculous, I can understand why people are getting the wrong sizes (especially for presents when you’re not buying for yourself). I can usually fit into a
large with most of our shirts - definitely XL with room to spare. With Macron, I’m XXXL. My son is 12 and needs a Medium/Large adult, which means parents have to start paying adult prices for kids shirts from a pretty young age.

We keep hearing the excuse from the club that “they’re Italian”. Why does that make any difference? I’ve bought Italian brands before that aren’t overly tiny. I guess they are ultimately selling better than they have for years, which is the main thing!

We keep hearing the excuse from the club that “they’re Italian”. Why does that make any difference? I’ve bought Italian brands before that aren’t overly tiny. I guess they are ultimately selling better than they have for years, which is the main thing!

Yeah it seems to be euro/Italian sizing.

But if fans had been buying Macron all these years and then changed to Nike it would be “WTF? Every shirt is huge. What’s wrong with Nike sizing?”.

It just needs people to realise that, and order the correct size from whichever manufacturer.

Like size 11uk shoes being size 12 US, or 36 euro or whatever.

All I would like is a quality polo with an embroiled horse and maybe a small gfc below. I don’t like the massive badge. Same with the jumpers and hoodies.
Think they will sell well if they have them in the club shop.

Yeah it seems to be euro/Italian sizing.

But if fans had been buying Macron all these years and then changed to Nike it would be “WTF? Every shirt is huge. What’s wrong with Nike sizing?”.

It just needs people to realise that, and order the correct size from whichever manufacturer.

Like size 11uk shoes being size 12 US, or 36 euro or whatever.
When people are having to buy 1 to 2 sizes larger than they normally wear (I bought a 4XL away shirt this year although it is too big so now goes over a hoodie), you'll struggle to find people complaining at buying the correct sizes again. Its a bugbear of fans on here ever since we've got Macron and a quick skim of other club's forums who also have Macron products will tell you its the same problem for them.