Relegation Form | Page 2 | Vital Football

Relegation Form

I don't think that anyone who is able to at least spell football can look at this team and seriously think about play offs. No way.

Play offs!
Think I predicted us to finish 19th in the Where will we finish competition, would gladly take that now.

I have bit my tongue, when we signed the two lads from Bradford I said sign league 2 players and that is where you end up. Obviously there was an outcry from certain individuals loyal to the club stating I was an idiot and why did I bother commenting. The thing is I don't think things are as bad I first thought, I just believe we are not playing to our strengths. No we are not going to make the play offs but we have enough to be an attacking force and not always sit back and hit teams on the break. I understand the apprehension against the likes of Ipswich and Bolton but we are better than the league position indicates.

I have bit my tongue, when we signed the two lads from Bradford I said sign league 2 players and that is where you end up. Obviously there was an outcry from certain individuals loyal to the club stating I was an idiot and why did I bother commenting. The thing is I don't think things are as bad I first thought, I just believe we are not playing to our strengths. No we are not going to make the play offs but we have enough to be an attacking force and not always sit back and hit teams on the break. I understand the apprehension against the likes of Ipswich and Bolton but we are better than the league position indicates.
The table never lies

January will tell us all exactly where we are. MK has changed systems since he arrived, and he most likely did that because he saw the limitations of the current squad.

Assuming he gets the players he thinks he needs this January, we should see exactly how MK wants his teams to play from February onwards.

I am not saying that as a positive or negative. Just that MK as a manager and our style of play (very defensive with little creativity) will be much better judged at Easter.

You just aren’t going to win many games when you constantly only have around 30% possession. Possession isn’t everything but when most of the action is around your own penalty box you’re in trouble. The formation and tactics playing without the ball might pay off a few times against decent teams but playing that way against a Charlton team like today is a total joke. I can’t imagine there are many teams with a lower possession rate than us, tactically with the ball we are hit and hope and try to get a lucky break. Pretty garbage really

January will tell us all exactly where we are. MK has changed systems since he arrived, and he most likely did that because he saw the limitations of the current squad.

Assuming he gets the players he thinks he needs this January, we should see exactly how MK wants his teams to play from February onwards.

I am not saying that as a positive or negative. Just that MK as a manager and our style of play (very defensive with little creativity) will be much better judged at Easter.
And the limitations of his coaching and managing skills

And the limitations of his coaching and managing skills

I think its a bit early to say that John. Not saying you aren't right, but MK has shown so far he can adapt/change his tactics. Whether it produces a winning team remains to be seen.

It certainly hasn't produced attractive football though, as you say, but then neither did MA last season.

It will be very interesting to see what happens in the match at MK Dons next week. Last season their team were praised for their attacking flair based around a passing game and they came really close to getting promoted. Their young coach Liam Manning was being lorded as a bright young thing of English football.
Eight months later they are in the relegation zone and Manning is out of a job. They lost their best players yet still tried to play the same way. It didn't work.
I've not really checked to see if MK are trying a different style under their new coach. It might be too early to know but it just shows that what works one year can't be guaranteed to work the next one.
MK is still learning his trade. There has been a huge turnover of head coaches/managers already this season and it is difficult to try and impose your way of doing things and plans for 2/3 years ahead when the desire by many is simply to win the next game and I do think MK is trying alternatives. Time is needed and it will be given by our board who understand the long term plan

I think its a bit early to say that John. Not saying you aren't right, but MK has shown so far he can adapt/change his tactics. Whether it produces a winning team remains to be seen.

It certainly hasn't produced attractive football though, as you say, but then neither did MA last season.
Mike, the easiest coaching system is to organise a team of good defensive players to defend deep and keep it tight. It takes imagination and more tactical awareness to coach the offensive side of the game. I haven’t seen anything to suggest MK has either of these attributes, but hey ho he talks with all the charm and spin of a second hand car salesman so the fans think he knows what he is doing.

It will be very interesting to see what happens in the match at MK Dons next week. Last season their team were praised for their attacking flair based around a passing game and they came really close to getting promoted. Their young coach Liam Manning was being lorded as a bright young thing of English football.
Eight months later they are in the relegation zone and Manning is out of a job. They lost their best players yet still tried to play the same way. It didn't work.
I've not really checked to see if MK are trying a different style under their new coach. It might be too early to know but it just shows that what works one year can't be guaranteed to work the next one.
MK is still learning his trade. There has been a huge turnover of head coaches/managers already this season and it is difficult to try and impose your way of doing things and plans for 2/3 years ahead when the desire by many is simply to win the next game and I do think MK is trying alternatives. Time is needed and it will be given by our board who understand the long term plan
Even if it’s in Lg 2 Sedge

We are OK on the Sincil carpet where the ball doesn't bobble and decent teams allow us a bit of time in midfield. We can play a bit of football, even though we lack finishers.

Put us on a poor pitch like at Burton and today where we have to compete for every ball, our appalling lack of quality shows through.

Balls bouncing away from Hopper, Diamond and Bishop. Sanders going from a creative energetic player at Southampton to just hooking the ball forward today because he didn't have the quality or time to control the ball and play a pass.

Mandroui is about the only one with a good first touch on a poor pitch. The next four games are against average teams who will not give us any room to play. A huge test!
Have you taken a close look at our pitch? It doesn’t look as good to me at ground level that the summer work suggested it should be.

With all that we offer now is the best place the club has ever been. I don’t think the squad are deserving of the facilities and for the last two seasons. We have made some pretty signings, we can’t get away from that and eventually can’t get away with it.

What the club now offer, is better than what is walking out on the pitch.

What’s all the fuss about. For us oldies this is quite normal. A few seasons in tier 3 and the odd flirt with promotion then back down to tier 4 for a long time and maybe relegation to the conference. This is what supporting Lincoln City means in reality

What’s all the fuss about. For us oldies this is quite normal. A few seasons in tier 3 and the odd flirt with promotion then back down to tier 4 for a long time and maybe relegation to the conference. This is what supporting Lincoln City means in reality
Maybe it's time to change that then.
Opportunity to do that now is great with people who are currently at the helm of our club.
We've got absolutely everything to establish ourselves in this division baring few good players. (Not sure about manager yet but time will tell). We need to grab our chance

What would surely help is getting rid of that ,,small Lincoln" mentality for once.

Mike, the easiest coaching system is to organise a team of good defensive players to defend deep and keep it tight. It takes imagination and more tactical awareness to coach the offensive side of the game. I haven’t seen anything to suggest MK has either of these attributes, but hey ho he talks with all the charm and spin of a second hand car salesman so the fans think he knows what he is doing.
To build a team you have to build a solid base first and being (relatively) hard to beat is a great base.

Hopefully that's the plan and hopefully MK will be able to go into the next step soon. Few good signings this January will be absolutely crucial though.

I'm guessing most people predicted we'd finish some where similar to where we are now, and many said that would represent a good season. And just as last season, when we are exactly where people thought (and hoped) we'd be, it's doom and gloom, and not good enough, and terrible recruitment etc etc. I wasn't concerned last season (apart from a little bit after the Gillingham game!)..and same now. MK is pretty new to management- he won't get everything right, but there are enough positive signs that we are in good hands and will be perfectly clear of relegation.

To build a team you have to build a solid base first and being (relatively) hard to beat is a great base.

Hopefully that's the plan and hopefully MK will be able to go into the next step soon. Few good signings this January will be absolutely crucial though.

Are we that hard to beat? The last two away games have been over at half time pretty much.