Reflections On Our Season | Page 2 | Vital Football

Reflections On Our Season

It really doesn't take much now for us to get relegated. I hope we're not that arrogant to think it couldn't happen to us. This is my biggest takeaway having lived through this disastrous season. This, and perhaps a sheer lack of entertainment all season. There were no highlights.

I can't remember a time when everything on the football operations was so sub-optimal. We have such a bloated and untalented squad. Then you take the player attitude and no leadership in all 3 layers above them. You could throw the women's scenario into that sub-optimal equation as well.

We need to stop deluding ourselves. We've watched LCFC, Everton and now Leeds fighting to stay in the PL. 2 will go next week. We could be next.
Unfortunately there is a strong possibility that this could become a reality. We are in such a mess at the moment that the very best we can hope for next season is to steady the ship.

The truth though. The warning signs are there.
I'd never take it for granted just because of our reputation and history. I witnessed it in the 1976-77 season. I don't see any similarities between the two scenarios though.

And as bad as this season has been I'm not contemplating that scenario now.

As an aside, how bad must Chelsea have been to be 14 points behind us?

I'd never take it for granted just because of our reputation and history. I witnessed it in the 1976-77 season. I don't see any similarities between the two scenarios though.

In reality, teams will get relegated with 34 points and below this current season. It was 35 last season. Our season tally:

Aug 11 pts from 15.
Sep 6 from 6.
Oct 6 from 12.
Nov 3 from 9
Dec 3 from 3
Jan 6 from 15
Feb 9 from 12
Mar 4 from 12
Apr 5 from 18
May 3 from 9 (1 game to go)

If you take Mar-May combined (13 league games) and extrapolate on an entire season that would be 35 points.

The club is in relegation form even when they only have one game a week to contend with. What would get us relegated is that losing ENIC culture and player attitude.

I seriously hope we can change this trend, but it would be very naive of Spurs to think they are above going down.

The chavs have unlimited funds though, much easier to get out of trouble.

It's a similar vibe that we had under AVB,Sherwood.

The difference being though we had a lot of good players coming through then. I don't think we have that quality this time.

The Premier league seems much more competitive now as well.

Sum up our season......an absolute disaster. I have never been more ashamed of the players and management than i have this season. I said we had reached the bottom a few weeks ago and others scoffed that there was room for it to get much worse. My point was that for me it couldnt get any worse. We have been that bad all season for me.

Its going to take a lot of hard work to put this right and it starts right at the top.

Sum up our season......an absolute disaster. I have never been more ashamed of the players and management than i have this season. I said we had reached the bottom a few weeks ago and others scoffed that there was room for it to get much worse. My point was that for me it couldnt get any worse. We have been that bad all season for me.

Its going to take a lot of hard work to put this right and it starts right at the top.

The top part is fixed. It's the DoF and then the manager that needs to be finalized. Then we need to fill out the scouting/recruiting section all while clearing out the malaise and bringing in fresh and hungry players.

Quite honestly, if I was in Munn's position I would be relishing this challenge and the future. Exciting as hell!!!

I am really sorry but I have been expecting this for a few seasons. I look through our team and in my honest opinion we are where we should be. Why I say this is because off the class of player we have.
Hugo: is the best keeper I have seen at Spurs but needs to be sold.
Forster is a championship keeper
Porro jury is still out.
Emerson has improved but would not get in any other top team he is lower half of the epl
Romero good when he is good but is a liability sometimes. Keep
Dier,Davies,Sanchez and Japhet lower epl teams at best definitely not good enough for cl
Perisic not good enough for epl.
Sess is another player who is Leeds level.
Hojbjerg is just awful Southampton was his level
Skipp I like but as ex said he is limited
Yves I would keep
Rodrigo is the best signing we have had for year's.
Dejan is what I thought. Has ability but only in short bursts send him back
Richarlison found his level at Everton not shown anything yet but possibly keep as a sub.
Lucas mid table player at best.
Son is class but far to greedy and looks like he has lost a step.
Kane has had another fantastic season and has carried us on his goal scoring back. He is our only player that would get in nearly any team in the world.

We are a team of low to mid table players who have been held together by Hugo's saves and the Son and Kane partnership in previous seasons. Two of those players have had a poor season and we are where we really should be.

My summary is our season has been predictable my only suprise is that it's taken this long to implode.

The next coach has a massive job as does the next dof to get rid of most of the team when nobody wants them.

The ratings thread has been locked despite Gary wishing posters to decide for themselves what the ratings per games played ratio means or indicates. Posters can't discuss the results with each other because the thread is locked.
One poster thinks Bentancur was player of the season....any more think the same ?

Well done to Vital Spurs posters on their ratings for the last game of the season v Leeds. Here is the comparison between the vital ratings and a broader sourced rating collated from another forum, websites, podcasts, newspapers and TV.
First column is Vital the second a combined source.

Forster.......5.83, 6.05
Royal..........6.58, 6.41
Sanchez.....5.50, 6
Lenglet.......6.25, 6.45
Davies........5.83, 6.10
Bissouma..7.00, 7.02
Skipp.........6.33, 6.30
Porro.........6.92, 7.85
Kulusevski 6.25, 6.20
Son............5.42, 6.20
Kane..........8.00, 8.80

Significant differences to only 4. Sanchez, Porro, Son and Kane.

You could have discussed why there are differences on the correct thread but it was locked so preventing debate....the essence of a forum !!

My ratings v Leeds if anyone wants to discuss.

Forster.....4
Royal.......5
Sanchez..6
Lenglet....6
Davies.....6
Biss.........6.5
Skipp.......5.5
Porro.......7
Kulu.........5
Son..........5.5
Kane........9

An alternative representation of ratings sourced from my wider perspective system. Table shows placing in first column, rating in second and number of games played in third.
A cut off of 25 games was used for inclusion which is above half of the 49 possible.

1. Kane........6.63, 47
2. Hojbjerg..6.19, 43
3. Kulusev...6.19, 27
4. Davies.....5.94, 31
5. Lenglet....5.89, 32
6. Royal.......5.88, 26
7. Romero...5.87, 31
8. Dier......... 5.83, 39
9. Lloris.......5.81, 30
10. Perisic...5.74, 33
11. Son........5.53, 42

I did private message Ex about an alternative ratings system providing a broader spectrum of opinion but he did not give me the courtesy of an answer.

A table of under 25 games players.

1. Bentancur...6.24, 23
2. Forster........6.06, 19
3. Richarlison 6.06, 16
4. Skipp..........6.01, 22
5. Bissouma.. 5.85, 11
6. Sessegnon 5.63, 14
7. Porro..........5.58, 14
Sanchez.........5.52, 11

A table showing a comparison of this seasons ratings to last.
First column is this season, second is last seasons and third is last seasons table position.

1. Kane ......6.63, 6.25, 5
2. Hojbjerg.6.19, 6.21, 6
3. Kulu........6.19
4. Davies....5.94, 5.91, 10
5. Lenglet...5.89
6. Royal......5.88, 6.08, 9
7. Romero..5.88, 6.58, 2
8. Dier.........5.83, 6.65, 1
9. Lloris......5.81, 6.46, 3
10. Perisic..5.74
11. Son.......5.53, 6.37, 4