Reflections On Our Season | Vital Football

Reflections On Our Season

SmithAndJones

Vital 1st Team Regular
Firstly, apologies Walt, I overlooked the fact that you opened a Summary of the Season thread a week or so ago when writing the below..

Secondly, moderators, perhaps these two threads should be merged. I have tried however to come from a different perspective than purely results and player performances.

I've been reflecting on our season. After the terrific finish to last season, there was every reason to be optimistic going into this season. Conte soon killed that by opting to play some of the most negative football ever played in Tottenham shirts. Despite that the first half of the season was a relative 'success', we were very much in the top four race, and made it into the knock out stages of the CL.
During the second half of the season there have been numerous milestones, where we have fallen short on every occasion. For me it all started with the CL defeat against Milan. Surely there could have been no bigger incentive than reaching the last eight of the CL, having been drawn against moderate opposition at CL level. We went out without a whimper.
The same pattern has subsequently been followed relative to a top four finish and CL qualification, failure to lift our game when it really mattered. Then again with a top six finish and Europa League qualiification. Yesterday was last chance saloon, after Brighton's defeat at Newcastle we had a real chance of pulling off sixth place, with two wins against Brentford and Leeds, hardly giants of the PL. After a promising start which lasted all the way to half time, we surrendered the initiative from the first kick of the second half, and ended up getting badly beaten. Season over.
What to make of it all. As we all know, we are short on quality players. We are also short of players who take pride in the shirt, and for whom this is reflected every time they run out onto the pitch. This goes deeper though, and logically can only be attributed to an apathy that is seemingly running right through the Club, does anybody really care.
Probably this malaise is reflected by the managerial situation. We have had three managers in the second half of the season. Conte left with a rant which although unacceptable, has subsequently proven to be pretty accurate. He was replaced by his sidekick Contellini, a perfect illustration of the Club's lack of ambition to make a final push for CL place, that was the time when we really should have been looking to Pochettino to get us that CL finish, Finally we appointed the Club's golden boy Mason, totally out of his depth, and a perfect illustration of the Club apparently not being bothered by the prospect of a top six finish and Europa League.
This disease won't be cured by a new team manager, or new players, Dembele and Lo Celso would probably bear testimony to that. This requires everybody at the Club, Levy, Munn, the new DOF, the new team manager, and the players, to up their game right from day one. Every single person associated with the Club needs to step out of their comfort zone, and recognise that there is more to being successful than building a fancy stadium, it requires a desire that is palpably lacking within the Club.
I've always been a big supporter of Levy, but my patience is wearing thin. Ultimately this is his responsibility. If he can't turn it around it's time to move on, no matter his undoubted commitment and loyalty toward the Club.

Last edited:
I've been reflecting on our season. After the terrific finish to last season, there was every reason to be optimistic going into this season. Conte soon killed that by opting to play some of the most negative football ever played in Tottenham shirts. Despite that the first half of the season was a relative 'success', we were very much in the top four race, and made it into the knock out stages of the CL.
During the second half of the season there have been numerous milestones, where we have fallen short on every occasion. For me it all started with the CL defeat against Milan. Surely there could have been no bigger incentive than reaching the last eight of the CL, having been drawn against moderate opposition at CL level. We went out without a whimper.
The same pattern has subsequently been followed relative to a top four finish and CL qualification, failure to lift our game when it really mattered. Then again with a top six finish and Europa League qualiification. Yesterday was last chance saloon, after Brighton's defeat at Newcastle we had a real chance of pulling off sixth place, with two wins against Brentford and Leeds, hardly giants of the PL. After a promising start which lasted all the way to half time, we surrendered the initiative from the first kick of the second half, and ended up getting badly beaten. Season over.
What to make of it all. As we all know, we are short on quality players. We are also short of players who take pride in the shirt, and for whom this is reflected every time they run out onto the pitch. This goes deeper though, and logically can only be attributed to an apathy that is seemingly running right through the Club, does anybody really care.
Probably this malaise is reflected by the managerial situation. We have had three managers in the second half of the season. Conte left with a rant which although unacceptable, has subsequently proven to be pretty accurate. He was replaced by his sidekick Contellini, a perfect illustration of the Club's lack of ambition to make a final push for CL place, that was the time when we really should have been looking to Pochettino to get us that CL finish, Finally we appointed the Club's golden boy Mason, totally out of his depth, and a perfect illustration of the Club apparently not being bothered by the prospect of a top six finish and Europa League.
This disease won't be cured by a new team manager, or new players, Dembele and Lo Celso would probably bear testimony to that. This requires everybody at the Club, Levy, Munn, the new DOF, the new team manager, and the players, to up their game right from day one. Every single person associated with the Club needs to step out of their comfort zone, and recognise that there is more to being successful than building a fancy stadium, it requires a desire that is palpably lacking within the Club.
I've always been a big supporter of Levy, but my patience is wearing thin. Ultimately this is his responsibility. If he can't turn it around it's time to move on, no matter his undoubted commitment and loyalty toward the Club.

Good reflections, mate. Thanks for making the effort.

Its the players that need to look in the mirror and reflect!
But why are they able to consistently go out and fail to lift their game in any way when it matters. That scenario runs deeper than the individual attitudes of players, or the fact that some of them just aren't at the right level. In terms of our finish in the top half of the table, and the possible European qualification that those positions bring. We are no different from Clubs like Bournemouth, West Ham and Nottingham Forest, where I suspect everybody at the Club has pulled out all the stops to stay in the PL, and that commitment shows on the pitch, in the dugout and in the stands. We don't have that. I don't excuse the players, but I do think that our problems run far deeper, a situation that the players seem to be able to take advantage of.

But why are they able to consistently go out and fail to lift their game in any way when it matters. That scenario runs deeper than the individual attitudes of players, or the fact that some of them just aren't at the right level. In terms of our finish in the top half of the table, and the possible European qualification that those positions bring. We are no different from Clubs like Bournemouth, West Ham and Nottingham Forest, where I suspect everybody at the Club has pulled out all the stops to stay in the PL, and that commitment shows on the pitch, in the dugout and in the stands. We don't have that. I don't excuse the players, but I do think that our problems run far deeper, a situation that the players seem to be able to take advantage of.

This a good discussion S&J.

For me it is the simple things. Until we get a coach that insisted that players close down the opposition in their own half, improve the ball control when receiving and move into space especially after laying the ball off then we will not be the team we want to see.

Yes we need improvements in personnel but too often we stand and admire, make no movement after laying the ball off and rarely press effectively. I am not expecting Man City type performances just yet but those basics are the minimum that is essential to start to become the progressive team we want to see.

Finally the attitude of several ‘untouchable’ players really needs to change. If not they should be out, fast…..feet not touching the ground. They would know what speed meant then!

Watching le arse lose to Forest they pressed the whole game and most of the time their defenders were also in the Forest half or close to the half way line....the problem was they compacted the game and so even more difficult to open up the Forest defence on the day (so credit Forest for their grit and determination to stay in the PL) ...but what it showed was the whole Arse squad had a real desire to contribute and attack and be on the front foot and were confident of enough speed to get back to defend if Forest broke. Arse steam rollered most teams for most of the season and created and put away their chances using this approach as seem by the number of late goals they conjoured up to save or win games . It only started to let them down recently which is why they chucked away the title. It is the 'want to win' attitude that makes the difference and much as I detest Arteta for his antics he leads by example with that desire to win (fairly or unfairly). We have little positive attitude in our squad......as shown to great effect yesterday.

Watching le arse lose to Forest they pressed the whole game and most of the time their defenders were also in the Forest half or close to the half way line....the problem was they compacted the game and so even more difficult to open up the Forest defence on the day (so credit Forest for their grit and determination to stay in the PL) ...but what it showed was the whole Arse squad had a real desire to contribute and attack and be on the front foot and were confident of enough speed to get back to defend if Forest broke. Arse steam rollered most teams for most of the season and created and put away their chances using this approach as seem by the number of late goals they conjoured up to save or win games . It only started to let them down recently which is why they chucked away the title. It is the 'want to win' attitude that makes the difference and much as I detest Arteta for his antics he leads by example with that desire to win (fairly or unfairly). We have little positive attitude in our squad......as shown to great effect yesterday.
Exactly this, it has been missing for a long time.

This a good discussion S&J.

For me it is the simple things. Until we get a coach that insisted that players close down the opposition in their own half, improve the ball control when receiving and move into space especially after laying the ball off then we will not be the team we want to see.

Yes we need improvements in personnel but too often we stand and admire, make no movement after laying the ball off and rarely press effectively. I am not expecting Man City type performances just yet but those basics are the minimum that is essential to start to become the progressive team we want to see.

Finally the attitude of several ‘untouchable’ players really needs to change. If not they should be out, fast…..feet not touching the ground. They would know what speed meant then!
Agree largely with you 54, good points. What this boils down to however, and lets forget about Premier League title challengers for the moment, is whether the players we have, regulars, squad members, fringe players and academy prospects, plus players out on loan, are good enough to be regular finishers or at least serious challengers for a top four finish on a consistent basis.
I believe that they probably are with one or two additions. There are just too many other factors within the Club which seem to hinder our progress. In fact we are going backwards despite the fact that we should have sufficient going for us currently to be able to be a Club increasingly viewed with respect, as opposed to one that to some extent is becoming a bit of a laughing stock.
I've got my own list of what those other factors may be. Top of that list is that we mistakenly believe that we are a big Club (albeit a big Club with an empty trophy cabinet), and that that belief within the Club creates an apathy whereby whether it be performance on the pitch, quality and suitability of managerial appointments, success rate with new signings, all of these deficiencies are accepted far too readily, with no real recognition that there is a genuine need for change throughout the Club.
I'll get off my soap box now, I just wish that those within the Club would show as much care and commitment toward the Club, as the guys on here. They certainly don't give that impression.

Agree largely with you 54, good points. What this boils down to however, and lets forget about Premier League title challengers for the moment, is whether the players we have, regulars, squad members, fringe players and academy prospects, plus players out on loan, are good enough to be regular finishers or at least serious challengers for a top four finish on a consistent basis.
I believe that they probably are with one or two additions. There are just too many other factors within the Club which seem to hinder our progress. In fact we are going backwards despite the fact that we should have sufficient going for us currently to be able to be a Club increasingly viewed with respect, as opposed to one that to some extent is becoming a bit of a laughing stock.
I've got my own list of what those other factors may be. Top of that list is that we mistakenly believe that we are a big Club (albeit a big Club with an empty trophy cabinet), and that that belief within the Club creates an apathy whereby whether it be performance on the pitch, quality and suitability of managerial appointments, success rate with new signings, all of these deficiencies are accepted far too readily, with no real recognition that there is a genuine need for change throughout the Club.
I'll get off my soap box now, I just wish that those within the Club would show as much care and commitment toward the Club, as the guys on here. They certainly don't give that impression.

Pretty much agree with you S&J. I too wish they showed our levels of care and commitment. With that and the front foot football that we yearn for, a committed coach with the right ‘philosophy’ (how I hate that word!), how refreshing and exciting things could become again. Prayer mats out guys!

It's a weird one defo S&J
I watched a couple of our players in comparison to other teams performances yesterday.
There were those who couldn't control the, simplest of balls.
Players who wouldn't shoot at an open goal
Players who won't pass to a free player in a better position
Several players on the wings 'both sides' you could throw, a blanket over with no one in the middle
Players afraid to head the ball
Players, who can't take, a corner.
Players who don't know the art of defending, from the front.
And that was from quite, a positive game performance (in parts) yesterday.
In general we've just been apathetic this season, I think, focus for many was the WC, and not the club.
Focus for the manager was his 'exit' just after Christmas as he definately gave up the ghost at that time.
Our players have floundered, on a rudderless boat, with mutiny on their minds, but the Admrial left, and theyre caught 'frigging in the rigging'.

It's a weird one defo S&J
I watched a couple of our players in comparison to other teams performances yesterday.
There were those who couldn't control the, simplest of balls.
Players who wouldn't shoot at an open goal
Players who won't pass to a free player in a better position
Several players on the wings 'both sides' you could throw, a blanket over with no one in the middle
Players afraid to head the ball
Players, who can't take, a corner.
Players who don't know the art of defending, from the front.
And that was from quite, a positive game performance (in parts) yesterday.
In general we've just been apathetic this season, I think, focus for many was the WC, and not the club.
Focus for the manager was his 'exit' just after Christmas as he definately gave up the ghost at that time.
Our players have floundered, on a rudderless boat, with mutiny on their minds, but the Admrial left, and theyre caught 'frigging in the rigging'.
Good points Niall, I hadn't considered the possible impact of the WC. Pity however that we had nobody to redirect that 'focus' when it was most needed. Maybe a MD and a DoF who adopts a much higher profile and level of involvement than Paratici, would help overcome such problems,
Like I've said, we have numerous problems to sort out at every level of the Club, otherwise any new team manager will be on hiding to nothing.

Next season will be a reset.

Hopefully a top 6 result. That is what I want to see.

Top 4 would be quite an achievement and somewhat possible if we are only in the PL.

I suppose we lost management wise
Hitchin
Paratici
Ventrone (deceased)
Conte
Stelleni
I suppose it will (all) have some type of unsettling effect.
Even knowing the guy currently managing, is a stop gap.
It's currently reflected at Chelsea wit Frank at the reins.
It's just time next season for a reset.

Just seen some stats from the season. We have conceded 72 goals in all competitions this season.

Have lost 18 games in all competitions.

That is appalling.

It really doesn't take much now for us to get relegated. I hope we're not that arrogant to think it couldn't happen to us. This is my biggest takeaway having lived through this disastrous season. This, and perhaps a sheer lack of entertainment all season. There were no highlights.

I can't remember a time when everything on the football operations was so sub-optimal. We have such a bloated and untalented squad. Then you take the player attitude and no leadership in all 3 layers above them. You could throw the women's scenario into that sub-optimal equation as well.

We need to stop deluding ourselves. We've watched LCFC, Everton and now Leeds fighting to stay in the PL. 2 will go next week. We could be next.

It really doesn't take much now for us to get relegated. I hope we're not that arrogant to think it couldn't happen to us. This is my biggest takeaway having lived through this disastrous season. This, and perhaps a sheer lack of entertainment all season. There were no highlights.

I can't remember a time when everything on the football operations was so sub-optimal. We have such a bloated and untalented squad. Then you take the player attitude and no leadership in all 3 layers above them. You could throw the women's scenario into that sub-optimal equation as well.

We need to stop deluding ourselves. We've watched LCFC, Everton and now Leeds fighting to stay in the PL. 2 will go next week. We could be next.
This is unusually pessimistic for you muttley.